2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

49 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nope because I hate retreads. Lou exhausted me on all of that and I have no desire to see it anymore. I won't be upset if they do sign him though cause my annoyance with him has waned out over the years. 

Personally I think he really tries to take a low priced deal to get on a team that has a realistic chance to win a cup since his time is running out. 

I actually wouldn't mind either, especially Parise, to come back.  No top-tier UFA is coming to the Devils simply because they don't want to spend their best years on a rebuilding team; they will take slightly less money to play on a contender.  Parise is that mid-tier UFA type that is more likely to go to the highest bidder which we can most certainly be pretty easily.  I can stand a 1-year deal on him to see where he goes and is likely a better option than a lot of other mid to lower-tier UFA out there this off-season.

26 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Wasn’t Zach salty at Lou because they chased Kovy so hard a d gave him that contract? Not saying he wouldn’t still sign with Lou but I’m not sure it’s a lock. He could still want to be closer to home and sign with the Blackhawks or something.

He was also salty at Lou for trading Langenbrunner

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

He was also salty at Lou for trading Langenbrunner

Of course, it’s easier to be salty when you are in a position to write your own check rather than being a guy healthy scratched in the playoffs and bought out of the last part of your 9,000 year  contract. 

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

These cap apocalypses that seem to get foretold about a number of teams never really seem to happen.  Yeah Chicago had to make some hard decisions in each off-season, but even when they dumped players after each Cup (such as Ladd, Buff, etc in 2010) that didn't seem to stop them from putting together a team that would win 2 more cups in the following 5 seasons.  Plus there are always teams always seem to find other teams to help them out with dumping their most expendable players.

Just off the top of my head, the only time I can even think of where a team truly was in cap hell was the Devils shortly after the implementation of the hard cap where they had to play games with a short bench to be compliant.

Wasn't Chicago's cap situation the direct reason they traded Panarin to CBJ? Everyone at the time thought the trade was insane because he is the kind of player you do whatever you have to keep him around. He wanted to stay in CHI and he was killing it playing with Kane.

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Wasn't Chicago's cap situation the direct reason they traded Panarin to CBJ? Everyone at the time thought the trade was insane because he is the kind of player you do whatever you have to keep him around. He wanted to stay in CHI and he was killing it playing with Kane.

But they brought back Saad in that deal, who made more money than Panarin did and was clearly nowhere near as good. They didn’t save anything on the cap and lost out on a minimum of two more seasons of him. 

Unless CBJ retained a big chunk of Saad’s contract?

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It was, but his first season was the one right after their third cup in 6 seasons.

It wasn't too long ago that a lot of so-called experts predicted that the cap will prevent any sort of back-to-back cup champions.  Now we have had two back-to-backs in the past 6 seasons.  The cap apocalypse just never seems to truly come.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But they brought back Saad in that deal, who made more money than Panarin did and was clearly nowhere near as good. They didn’t save anything on the cap and lost out on a minimum of two more seasons of him. 

That was the other part; their desire for Saad was more of the motivation for that trade than to shed salary.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

It was, but his first season was the one right after their third cup in 6 seasons.

It wasn't too long ago that a lot of so-called experts predicted that the cap will prevent any sort of back-to-back cup champions.  Now we have had two back-to-backs in the past 6 seasons.  The capocalypse just never seems to truly come.

Might as well...

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

That was the other part; their desire for Saad was more of the motivation for that trade than to shed salary.

And now their fans are really Saad....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yea but the fear was they couldn't afford Panarin long term so they dumped him to bring back Saad. DevsMan is right, Saad was a major motivation, but at the time so was Panarin's expected future salary. Again, I'm just going off memory so take it for what it is worth.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea but the fear was they couldn't afford Panarin long term so they dumped him to bring back Saad. DevsMan is right, Saad was a major motivation, but at the time so was Panarin's expected future salary. Again, I'm just going off memory so take it for what it is worth.

That was a dumb fvcking idea then. You had him for 2 more years at $6m, you could have traded him later, or, realized you don't trade that guy to save cap when you have a roster full of other guys that would make more sense. That's the guy you move cap to keep, not the guy you move to free up cap space. 

He even expressed that he wanted to stay in Chicago and took the 2 year deal at less than what he was worth at the time to make it happen. 

Even if it was motivated by the cap, it was a dumb fvcking trade. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

tenor.gif.ff3ebc2510e50979372bc60c07456725.gif

We have been here long enough together that this should not have been a surprise to you lol. 

• Like 1

How did Chicago get Panarin in the first place?  Was it one of those things that never happen to NJ where he would only come over to play for the Hawks?    

The Blackhawks did an amazing job of finding that second wave of talent to surround the core, no argument there.    

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

How did Chicago get Panarin in the first place?  Was it one of those things that never happen to NJ where he would only come over to play for the Hawks?    

The Blackhawks did an amazing job of finding that second wave of talent to surround the core, no argument there.    

What I saw online was that he "signed as a free agent out of the KHL". That fvcker went undrafted. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I'm pretty sure the panarin trade wasn't cap related that much, from what i can remember anyway

It wouldn't make sense that it would be. You signed him at a discounted price then turned around and traded him for a lesser player that made more money because you were worried about what he would cost 3 years from now?

I think they just made an awful trade. 

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

Parise to the Isles makes a lot of sense since his dad played for them. 

I wouldn't mind having him on a short term 2 to 3 mil contract. He would fill that veteran mentor role and we would be able to concentrate on UFAs

But for the fact I am still annoyed with him, I would agree. 

I wonder how many people still have Parise jerseys they would break out....

12 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Chicago, Bruh! Deep Dish Pizza, Bruh!

Suter played 22+ min per game and he has good health. He did play 24+ min in playof. And he is still productive. He is great defenseman. I want to give him even 5\6min for 3 years. He will make our defense much better and wil help to develope our young core. If he wants money, not cup, I think he will be great add.

• Like 1