2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Suter played 22+ min per game and he has good health. He did play 24+ min in playof. And he is still productive. He is great defenseman. I want to give him even 5\6min for 3 years. He will make our defense much better and wil help to develope our young core. If he wants money, not cup, I think he will be great add.

lol imagine signing them both for cheap

• Haha 1

Pass on Parise...not because of the past.  Because he's going to be 37 years old and just came off the least productive season of his career, and was even healthy-scratched at times.  If I thought he had something left and could help the Devils, I'd be fine with him coming back.  But it would be like Havlat all over again, in terms of "We can get him cheap!  Why not?"  Funny how with a lot of those deals, you wind up getting what you pay for.  I don't need to see shell-of-himself-wearing-down Parise putting up maybe 12 goals and maybe 30 points in 70 GP or so...even if technically those numbers wouldn't represent bad value (I'm guessing he gets $1 - 1.5 million).

Suter could be a decent stopgap signing...I'd sign him up for a year.

On a side note, the scenario we always think teams fear...it's amazing how the Wild said "fvck it, we want these guys off the team so bad that we'll eat a sh!t-ton in dead money for those guys NOT to play for us."  All the times we've heard "Paying 'em, gotta play 'em"...not the Wild.  And it's good that teams can't sign players to those kinds of decade-plus deals anymore...because so many of them WOULD if they were still able, even with all of the evidence that points to insanely long deals like that not working out.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Saw quite a few comments that these 2 are huge problems in the locker room and not very well liked by others in there. I really don't see either of them wanting to go to a team that has barely a shot at the playoffs let alone the cup and from the sounds of it they wouldn't be a good influence anyway. 

5 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

You just know if we sign either or both of them, their steep downhill slide will begin.

I think Zach's has already begun.  Not as sure about Suter.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Saw quite a few comments that these 2 are huge problems in the locker room and not very well liked by others in there. I really don't see either of them wanting to go to a team that has barely a shot at the playoffs let alone the cup and from the sounds of it they wouldn't be a good influence anyway. 

Where did you see that?  Just curious.  Zach never struck me as that kind of guy while he was here.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Zach's has already begun.  Not as sure about Suter.

Where did you see that?  Just curious.  Zach never struck me as that kind of guy while he was here.  

Twitter and HF, obviously nothing concrete but Parise was also healthy scratched for some games so where there is smoke there's usually fire. 

Guerin also said he's been talking about this for 6-8 months so clearly doesn't seem like he's a fan either 

Also went searching for a bit and Wild fans have been talking about it for years... 

Also nice to point out that in their 9 seasons there they never went further than the 2nd round and only 2 series wins the entire time. 

I can't imagine many teams been interested with Parise. He was healthy scratched or playing on the 4th line not for cap reasons. But obviously Lou will get him, let's not even pretend like it's not going to happen. And obviously Zach would be dumb not to go at this point, no matter if he was sour with lou or not in the past

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That was a dumb fvcking idea then. You had him for 2 more years at $6m, you could have traded him later, or, realized you don't trade that guy to save cap when you have a roster full of other guys that would make more sense. That's the guy you move cap to keep, not the guy you move to free up cap space. 

He even expressed that he wanted to stay in Chicago and took the 2 year deal at less than what he was worth at the time to make it happen. 

Even if it was motivated by the cap, it was a dumb fvcking trade. 

We have been here long enough together that this should not have been a surprise to you lol. 

I never said it was smart. I just remember hearing at the time that Panarin getting paid a year or 2 down the road was a factor.

EDIT:

Found a video where Weekes and Hradek mention it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-patrick-kane-emotional-after-artemi-panarin-gets-traded-to-blue-jackets/c-290245526

Edited by NJDevils1214

18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I never said it was smart. I just remember hearing at the time that Panarin getting paid a year or 2 down the road was a factor.

EDIT:

Found a video where Weekes and Hradek mention it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-patrick-kane-emotional-after-artemi-panarin-gets-traded-to-blue-jackets/c-290245526

I never go by third-hand info like that. 

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pass on Parise...not because of the past.  Because he's going to be 37 years old

sh!t, does time ever fly. I knew he was in his 30's but didn't realize how deep lol. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I can't imagine many teams been interested with Parise. He was healthy scratched or playing on the 4th line not for cap reasons. But obviously Lou will get him, let's not even pretend like it's not going to happen. And obviously Zach would be dumb not to go at this point, no matter if he was sour with lou or not in the past

No one was interested in Parise at his old salary and remaining term, but if teams can get him on a one-year $1-2 million deal, I can see teams kicking the tires...a team like the Lightning might say screw it, what the hell, as he won't cost much.  I still wouldn't want him.

On another note, re:  the Wild, as bad as it looks having to kill two big contracts with four seasons left, sadly that was their best option at this point.  Those guys were untradeable with the cap hits that were left on their contracts ($7,538,462 each).  And the Wild could either continue to pay a lot to two players who no longer fit into their plans (and were no longer wanted), or free up some space.  What sucks for them is though the Wild were able to open up about $10 million for 2021-22 with these buyouts, there's not that much relief over the three seasons following 2022:  about $2.3 million total in 2022-23, and only $333,336 in new space for 2023-24 and 2024-25 (each season).   And then four years of $1,666,666 in pure dead space.  

22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also nice to point out that in their 9 seasons there they never went further than the 2nd round and only 2 series wins the entire time. 

And that's always the killer with these deals...if the Wild win just one Cup (or even get to a couple of SCF), fans can deal with buyouts or decline years later.  Two series wins in all that time...fair or unfair, that makes the Parise and Suter Era a failure.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

sh!t, does time ever fly. I knew he was in his 30's but didn't realize how deep lol. 

Not like he looks old old (he's always had one of those "young" faces, kinda boyish), but you can see that he's aged.  He looks like a guy who's now well into his 30s. 

And yeah it's hard to believe that he's been gone as long as he has.  And that his career is just about finished. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like he looks old old (he's always had one of those "young" faces, kinda boyish), but you can see that he's aged.  He looks like a guy who's now well into his 30s. 

And yeah it's hard to believe that he's been gone as long as he has.  And that his career is just about finished. 

I don't think I have looked directly at him since he left so to me he still looks like he's 16 lol. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

lol imagine signing them both for cheap

and play-off apparence with them. 

If we will not trade\expose Johnsson - there are no need in Parise even for cheap. Anyway I think he will go to the Islanders. And I think Suter will sign with contender too.

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

and play-off apparence with them. 

If we will not trade\expose Johnsson - there are no need in Parise even for cheap. Anyway I think he will go to the Islanders. And I think Suter will sign with contender too.

Suter to Lightning at minimum wage trying to win a cup.   

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Could definitely see that. And Parise to the Islanders is a slam dunk.

I'm wondering if Parise nixed the deal w/ the Isles last year. If that's the case, Lou may not give 2rd chances. Lou "That ship has sailed" 

Also, Parise might just retire.  He's got sh>loads of $$.