2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good for him. Best move he could make.

Yeah, Hall had one "He's the man" season, but that is not who Hall really is or ever truly was.  He can be a really good complementary player in the right situation.  Boston is 100% the right situation for him.

Sure, he could've made plenty more if he signed here before the 2018-19 season, but I doubt it would've worked out...for one, he would've forever been compared against his career-year MVP season...he would've been a vastly overpaid 60-65 point guy (assuming he wouldn't ever miss significant time, which we can't possibly do).  He would've been a lightning rod for any Devils failures, due to his contract and the fact that he wouldn't be able to come close to 2017-18...he would've received a lot of blame, even if it wasn't fair...guys like him can become convenient whipping boys very quickly.

He's now part of a good team where he's on a very reasonable contract (his AAV his only a little more than Adam Henrique...let THAT sink in) and won't be asked to do too much.  It's about as win-win for him and the Bruins as it gets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i suspect today will be a sh!tty day. 

Larsson not available for us anymore, Price staying in MTL and i'm pretty confident Seattle will pick Bastian. What else could go wrong now

In fairness, Larsson wasn’t interested in coming back, who gives a fvck about Montreal, and regarding Bastian, sucks but not the end of the world.

Maybe a side deal to take Johnsson. Or maybe they still take PK and really reinforce their D. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, Larsson wasn’t interested in coming back, who gives a fvck about Montreal, and regarding Bastian, sucks but not the end of the world.

Maybe a side deal to take Johnsson. Or maybe they still take PK and really reinforce their D. 

Yeah I am not exactly sure why fans are treating Bastian as some major loss.  I see it as pretty telling when a good amount of fans consider losing Bastian, a 2nd year fourth liner who is 5 years removed from his draft year, is considered the worst possible outcome.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i suspect today will be a sh!tty day. 

Larsson not available for us anymore, Price staying in MTL and i'm pretty confident Seattle will pick Bastian. What else could go wrong now

Seattle picking PK instead would make the day more sh!tty.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I am not exactly sure why fans are treating Bastian as some major loss.  I see it as pretty telling when a good amount of fans consider losing Bastian, a 2nd year fourth liner who is 5 years removed from his draft year, is considered the worst possible outcome.

Is it really a good number of fans?  Sure, I'd like Bastian to stay, but if he's taken, it's far from the worst possible outcome, and most have to know that.  I'm sure most fans would get over it very quickly.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is it really a good number of fans?  Sure, I'd like Bastian to stay, but if he's taken, it's far from the worst possible outcome, and most have to know that.  I'm sure most fans would get over it very quickly.  

Across different social media platforms, the player I see the most of "I really hope they don't take x" is Bastian.  Most want either Johnsson, Subban or Butcher.

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Seattle picking PK instead would make the day more sh!tty.

I'd be OK with this for two reasons:  PK wasn't likely to be here beyond this season anyway, and the Devils would be pretty much HAVE to be aggressive as hell in UFA (or taking on some money)...they won't have any choice.  I know PK's cap hit is not an issue in the slightest so I have zero issue with his 2021-22 hit, but maybe there's a chance for that freed-up money to be spent a little better.

The downside would be not being able to get anything back, but I can't go too crazy on missing out on a third-rounder...I'm guessing that's what PK would be worth as a deadline rental at this point.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Across different social media platforms, the player I see the most of "I really hope they don't take x" is Bastian.  Most want either Johnsson, Subban or Butcher.

I agree that I'd rather it be one of the others, but if it's Bastian, so be it.  Won't be a killer.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd be OK with this for two reasons:  PK wasn't likely to be here beyond this season anyway, and the Devils would be pretty much HAVE to be aggressive as hell in UFA (or taking on some money)...they won't have any choice.  I know PK's cap hit is not an issue in the slightest so I have zero issue with his 2021-22 hit, but maybe there's a chance for that freed-up money to be spent a little better.

The downside would be not being able to get anything back, but I can't go too crazy on missing out on a third-rounder...I'm guessing that's what PK would be worth as a deadline rental at this point.

All true, it wouldn’t be a huge loss but from a standpoint of being competitive for this upcoming season, losing PK would hurt. I think our kids need to keep building and take next step in being a competitive team. Another losing season can take its toll mentally and further pushes any potential FA’s away from here.

Because Bastian while not much of a fighter is somewhat willing and at least plays with a sack, can't say that about almost anybody else that was in the lineup most of the season (again) last year.  Other than that yeah he brings average 4th line skills that should be easily replaceable especially when we have money to burn. Hell on a real good team he may not even make the lineup but we don't have to worry about that.

Need to keep burning money to hit the floor going forward extend PK for less than what he's getting now and keep convincing ourselves it's what's best in the big picture for the team when it comes to making it better.

Edited by titans04

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Johnsson and Butcher suck more so that's why I'd rather see them go over Bastian or PK. Would much rather keep PK and get something for him at the trade deadline when we suck again. 

50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's pretty telling when an NHL GM thinks Bastian, a 2nd year fourth liner who is 5 years removed from his draft year, is considered a more useful hockey player than Andreas Johnsson and Will Butcher.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

It's pretty telling when an NHL GM thinks Bastian, a 2nd year fourth liner who is 5 years removed from his draft year, is considered a more useful hockey player than Andreas Johnsson and Will Butcher.

Could be some big cap moves in their near future.  Bastian on pretty much league min looks way better than those other two.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Remember only 23 players make an NHL roster. They have to have some players that they can stuff in minors or move around.

17 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Or that their GM doesn't want to totally disregard the cap and Bastian is on the most friendly contract of the bunch.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Or that their GM doesn't want to totally disregard the cap and Bastian is on the most friendly contract of the bunch.

Yeah I had that bundled in "useful."  Not going at you (this time), I'm just emotional :(

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

At about 50% of the cap right now, so I expect either trades today or them looking to make a splash in the free agent market. Otherwise picking Bastian to save cap doesn't make sense. 

The bigger question for me is whether Bastian will make the NHL roster, or if he'll be in Charlotte (AHL). 

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

The 2 guys I wanted for us to be "in the mix" for Larrs and Oleksiak=gone. Who is still out there.

Dougie Hamilton and Gabriel Landeskog are two I wouldn’t mind having, and Blake Coleman and Linus Ullmark. All of them. 

I would put some money down that we get zero of them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dougie Hamilton and Gabriel Landeskog are two I wouldn’t mind having, and Blake Coleman and Linus Ullmark. All of them. 

I would put some money down that we get zero of them. 

I think we have a decent chance at Coleman and Ullmark.

I think Hamilton is a very remote chance.

Landeskog is the one I would say is absolutely not signing with us.  However I would be thrilled if he did.