2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Plus can Lou REALLY pass over the opportunity to put Zajac and Parise back together again on his 4th line? Of course he can't. 

Like I said previously, trying to put the two of them back together 15 years later is the most Lou thing ever. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Holy fvck what is Holland doing:

Anyone else fvcking loving the Hamilton contract right now?

Holy sh!t.  I am just catching up.  This is insane.   The Hamilton contract looks better every day.   I’m so glad we went with Fitzgerald instead of one of these retread GMs.   

Honestly, the NHL needs to step in at some point and work a Gretzky type trade out of Edmonton because they are just waisting him (and Draisaitl) up there.   

48 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Holy sh!t.  I am just catching up.  This is insane.   The Hamilton contract looks better every day.   I’m so glad we went with Fitzgerald instead of one of these retread GMs.   

Honestly, the NHL needs to step in at some point and work a Gretzky type trade out of Edmonton because they are just waisting him (and Draisaitl) up there.   

McDavid for Severson one for one

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I do think he'll be back in NY though. I mean, if Palmieri, Zajac and all Lou's UFA would "really" be out there without a contract. They'd be talking to other teams by now and we would have heard about it. I know Lou can be a bit of an ass playing hardball at times. But he wouldn't just let those guys hang in there waiting for him "in case" he has room for them after his moves. At least i hope so. He probably have a handshake deal with all of them and doesn't want it to go public for wtv reasons. Its Lou after all. 

Plus can Lou REALLY pass over the opportunity to put Zajac and Parise back together again on his 4th line? Of course he can't. 

Yeah Lou is old school, as we all know. I could definitely see him having handshake deals with Palms and Zajac. Those guys know how Lou rolls. 

MD2020 made a good point in the offseason thread, that I didn't consider...maybe he was threatening to go back to the K.  Like I said in that thread, pretty generous offer for a guy who yes, he looks legit, but has only played in 48 NHL games to date.  But makes more sense if he was using the K as leverage.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:03 PM, mfitz804 said:

Rangers have signed the Sh!tstork for 4 years, with a $5.666 AAV.

The amount is significant because its the largest amount ever given to a goalie coming off his entry level contract. 

Let's hope he has a "Cahter Hat" type of year.  making for a lil chaos in MSG.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Still can’t believe that Carolina traded for his rights and didn’t sign him, but on top of that, traded a young goalie who looks like he is the real deal. What a total failure on their part. 

I look forward to him not retiring out of training camp and hitting the ice at the Rock. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good article.  Marty must have been pretty persuasive, because I can hear Bernier saying "Geez, the situation could be just as iffy here as my last one."  Marty (and I'm sure Fitz) had to have done a hell of a job selling him on the youth.  When Keith Hernandez was initially traded to the Mets, his first thought was "I'd rather 9-to-5 it than be here"...the Mets had been awful for years, and were once again fielding a 90+ loss team in 1983, when Keith arrived mid-season.  The GM (Frank Cashen) basically told him about all of the kids that were already up with the big club (Strawberry) and that more were on the way (Gooden, Darling, etc)...really sold him hard on that.  Hernandez said from that point on, he was 100% all-in.  And I get the feeling Marty and Fitz have made a hell of a tag team, in pitching the kids to the UFAs they brought in.   

On another note, as crazy as it sounds, I wonder if some goalies prefer getting to play a lot more for a meh to bad team, than they do playing less for a good team.  Chico never played in more than 46 games in any of his seasons with the Isles, but when he went to the Rockies, suddenly he's appearing in 61, 65, 51, and 51 games (winning just 55...as we all know he played on some god-awful Rockies/Devils teams).  As much as I know most goalies HATE losing and would almost gleefully trade 15 or 20 less games played to have a shot to win, I still wonder if there's some guys who say "I'm never getting this kind of opportunity to be out there PLAYING in this many games, if I'm on one of the better teams.  At least I have that."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well Kaprizov is going back to Russia and Minnesota may trade his rights now, so hopefully they don’t trade him to the fvcking Rags, or MB’s scenario could be a reality. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/could-the-wild-trade-kirill-kaprizov?fbclid=IwAR2eZmB45ixKCMSWnGCh63xExnCF3nNoaGjoggoc98q4lRBBVw9OgG_r7qg

We have cap space…but is there a point in trading for a guy that already wants to leave the country?

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well Kaprizov is going back to Russia and Minnesota may trade his rights now, so hopefully they don’t trade him to the fvcking Rags, or MB’s scenario could be a reality. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/could-the-wild-trade-kirill-kaprizov?fbclid=IwAR2eZmB45ixKCMSWnGCh63xExnCF3nNoaGjoggoc98q4lRBBVw9OgG_r7qg

If there IS a team that could actually take him on AND sign him...it's the Devils.  PK's hit is gone after next season.  And the only relatively pricey long-term deals currently belong to Nico and Hamilton.  I expect Jack to join them after this season...and Smith will likely get a massive bump for 2023-24.  

Of course, with not much of the current roster signed beyond 2023, the Devils could get top-heavy in a hurry...some of the kids we have penciled in (Holtz, Mercer, Bahl etc) have to work out and provide cheap-cost production.    

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

We have cap space…but is there a point in trading for a guy that already wants to leave the country?

If the Devils trade for his rights, how many years do they have them?  They could trade for his rights eyeing 2022-23 as his return.  The fact that it's only for a year could mean that he wants out of Minnesota more than anything else. 

13 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Thought I read a report from Russia saying that he isn't returning to CSKA

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://rsport.ria.ru/20210810/kaprizov-1745203918.html

This is what I saw. Surprise to me. 

I don't think I want to take any big risks like this. We've essentially done really well staying the course and building the team the right way and with players with the right additude. 

I remember seeing something about this guy sending a text to a group by mistake saying he was pissed having to practice with the taxi squad cause he was better than that or something. Obv not the end of the world but just doesn't speak well to his team first/family additude, and that's what Fitz is building here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The Wild can't/won't pay him what he feels like he's worth, because of the two hideous anchor contracts. They don't want to be a cap-ceiling team during this re-build, either. 

He doesn't want to go back to Russia because he misses his mommy. He wants to get paid what he feels like he deserves. And, if the Devils are the team to do that.... my god. 

Though I understand why Suter (and especially Parise) were shown the door, making that move really only helped them out this season...they have almost $12.75 mil in dead space in 2022-23, and almost $14.75 mil in dead space for both 2023-24 AND 2024-25.  And 5 UFAs coming up after 2022-23 (not sure if Minnesota is looking to re-sign any of them, but those are still players that will have to be replaced).  The problem is that though the Wild can easily fit in Kaprizov for 2021-22, it gets pretty dicey for them beyond...they'd better have a bunch of ELCs to sprinkle in, if they want to pay him long term.

But yeah, I agree, I think the guy is just looking to get paid.

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is what I saw. Surprise to me. 

I don't think I want to take any big risks like this. We've essentially done really well staying the course and building the team the right way and with players with the right additude. 

I remember seeing something about this guy sending a text to a group by mistake saying he was pissed having to practice with the taxi squad cause he was better than that or something. Obv not the end of the world but just doesn't speak well to his team first/family additude, and that's what Fitz is building here. 

He's intriguing because he looks like a hell of a player and the Devils are obviously one of those teams that still has plenty of space, but I'd be stunned if the Devils ever made an offer.  I get the feeling Fitz wants to bring up young cheap (cost-wise) talent.  I get that entirely.    

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Though I understand why Suter (and especially Parise) were shown the door, making that move really only helped them out this season...they have almost $12.75 mil in dead space in 2022-23, and almost $14.75 mil in dead space for both 2023-24 AND 2024-25.  And 5 UFAs coming up after 2022-23 (not sure if Minnesota is looking to re-sign any of them, but those are still players that will have to be replaced).  The problem is that though the Wild can easily fit in Kaprizov for 2021-22, it gets pretty dicey for them beyond...they'd better have a bunch of ELCs to sprinkle in, if they want to pay him long term.

He's intriguing because he looks like a hell of a player and the Devils are obviously one of those teams that still has plenty of space, but I'd be stunned if the Devils ever made an offer.  I get the feeling Fitz wants to bring up young cheap (cost-wise) talent.  I get that entirely.    

I think he should be looking to get paid, obviously. What does one have to trade for the rights to the Calder trophy winner? I have to imagine the cost would be high, probably 3 assets minimum. LWs currently include Kuokkanen, Wood, Tatar, Johnsson, and Bratt, I think you are probably looking at Bratt, a prospect, and a high-ish pick. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think he should be looking to get paid, obviously. What does one have to trade for the rights to the Calder trophy winner? I have to imagine the cost would be high, probably 3 assets minimum. LWs currently include Kuokkanen, Wood, Tatar, Johnsson, and Bratt, I think you are probably looking at Bratt, a prospect, and a high-ish pick. 

And I think the price is just prohibitive enough that Fitz simply says "Let me stick with the kids that I have, including the ones who figure to be on my team in a year or two."  I don't necessarily believe that he's anxious to both trade assets AND sign Kaprizov to an expensive long-term deal on top of it.  And yeah, your offer sounds about right...if anything, I could see them wanting a little more. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If a player like Bratt (RFA next offseason) or Sharangovich (RFA in 2023) have a Kaprizov-type year, wouldn't the Devils have to pony up for them too on their next contract?  Would either be as good as Kaprizov?