2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

he also said PK Subban has caused a “circus” in NJ, based seemingly entirely on the fact that he’s a racist idiot. 

Can we please stop calling people racist when the only thing they did was say something negative about someone who just happen to be black and when their claim has nothing to do with skin colour?

It's a fvcking severe accusation to make and people can fvcking lose their jobs over it. Come on guys.

• Like 3

I don't know why I'm a racist if I find four million dollars a year is too much to pay for a guy who has been mediocre for years, who happens to be black, but whatever. 

I personally find him a decent individual who gave a lot of money to charity but does unfortunately draw too much media scrutiny.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I don't know why I'm a racist if I find four million dollars a year is too much to pay for a guy who has been mediocre for years, who happens to be black, but whatever. 

I personally find him a decent individual who gave a lot of money to charity but does unfortunately draw too much media scrutiny.

If that’s all you said you wouldn’t have gotten the pushback you did. The problem was the accusation that PK has been a “circus” in NJ was total nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Nobody is losing their job over NJDevs comments. Source: am currently employed.

This made me actually laugh out loud. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If that’s all you said you wouldn’t have gotten the pushback you did. The problem was the accusation that PK has been a “circus” in NJ was total nonsense. 

It may not be racist, but it’s definitely 10,000% wrong and ignorant of the facts. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You then followed it up with “he draws too much media scrutiny” which is not too dissimilar from locking the car doors while driving past a group of black teenagers on the street. You don’t have to attend rallies to say inherently racist things on the internet. I’m not some social justice internet warrior, either — just calling out what feels like I should call out. 

Unless you can give me an example of all of this bad press he’s handed New Jersey since being in town? 

You know... his play DID get better after him and Vonn broke up... so add that to the good press, maybe?

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Nobody is losing their job over NJDevs comments. Source: am currently employed.

Opposing fans booing Subban every time he touches the puck for literally no reason other than his skin color is racist. Saying subban brings an unnecessary circus to NJ when he’s been a model citizen, teammate and member of the franchise since the literal second we acquired him is racist. 

Maybe it’s unfair to say Facebook_Ottawa is a racist, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say that making a blanket statement of “i don’t want more of the circus he brings” when discussing his time in New Jersey is, at the VERY least, borderline. 

But you're 200% projecting. You personally don't understand or you're in full on denial that someone could hate Subban for good reasons. So you default to "ah well he's black so the person has to be racist" to justify it.

I'm sure there's a few actual racist fans booing him, let's not pretend they don't exist. But to try to pretend like Subban doesn't have a reputation and personality that'd get him booed. I mean come on. Has nothing to do with his skin colour. It's very very very well documented how he's rubbing a LOT of people the wrong way.

I don't agree with Rob_Ottawa that Subban brought a circus here or anything. He really seemed like he calmed down. But he sure didn't say a SINGLE thing that made any implication that he was racist. Come on

You have a guy with a long ass history of slewfoot, he injured players, he's a loud mouth, big personality. But sure there's "literally no reason to boo him other than his skin colour". then why arent those fans booing Evander Kane, Joel Ward, Wayne Simmonds and all the other dudes?

Edited by SterioDesign

I think Subban is setting himself up for post hockey career. He does have personality.(outgoing)  I'm glad we have someone on our team that draws attention to the Devils. I hope the other players like PK, but I have no idea if they do or not. He seems like a real team guy. I don't get why they boo him either.  I think PK is a 3-6 D man on most teams.

Then again, I don't get why fans boo Bettman any more. Why? '03 Lock out?

31 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But you're 200% projecting. You personally don't understand or you're in full on denial that someone could hate Subban for good reasons. So you default to "ah well he's black so the person has to be racist" to justify it.

I'm sure there's a few actual racist fans booing him, let's not pretend they don't exist. But to try to pretend like Subban doesn't have a reputation and personality that'd get him booed. I mean come on. Has nothing to do with his skin colour. It's very very very well documented how he's rubbing a LOT of people the wrong way.

I don't agree with Rob_Ottawa that Subban brought a circus here or anything. He really seemed like he calmed down. But he sure didn't say a SINGLE thing that made any implication that he was racist. Come on

You have a guy with a long ass history of slewfoot, he injured players, he's a loud mouth, big personality. But sure there's "literally no reason to boo him other than his skin colour". then why arent those fans booing Evander Kane, Joel Ward, Wayne Simmonds and all the other dudes?

It’s probably both his skin color and his history. I mean, he is among the biggest personalities in the game. That’s fact. He has a history of injuring people, so do dozens of other players that don’t get booed every time they touch the puck. Has to be something else. 

I saw it happen in Boston, in Philly, Pittsburgh, Montreal, etc. You cannot possibly argue his history of injuring people is so extensive that he gets booed every time he touches the puck in multiple cities. Even Tom Wilson doesn’t get that treatment. PK would have to be the most hated player in the league to justify it, and he definitely is not. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s probably both his skin color and his history. I mean, he is among the biggest personalities in the game. That’s fact. He has a history of injuring people, so do dozens of other players that don’t get booed every time they touch the puck. Has to be something else. 

I saw it happen in Boston, in Philly, Pittsburgh, Montreal, etc. You cannot possibly argue his history of injuring people is so extensive that he gets booed every time he touches the puck in multiple cities. Even Tom Wilson doesn’t get that treatment. PK would have to be the most hated player in the league to justify it, and he definitely is not. 

I honestly don't understand what you guys (and not as much you, i mean this board. you did admit that him posing with that giant cheque with his name on it when he was not directly giving his money was sort of a douche move) are not seeing when it's been reported so extensively and literally on camera and straight up interviews, videos from teammates, coaches, adversaries and many legit proofs all around, that SO many people can't stand him. It's truthfully mind blowing to me that it doesn't appear to register.

Boston is obvious, he was a "superstar" playing on their biggest rival. Habs fans hate Marchand and Boston fans hated Subban. Fans will boo superstar, they won't boo 4th liners. He's constantly rubbing a lot of people the wrong way with his personality too and the stunts he pulled at times to get attention. 

I know Pittsburgh fans started booing him after he injured Staal and because he had a long list of slew-foot and diving. Surprisingly i don't remember seeing him slew-foot anyone or even diving in NJ but he use to do it alllllll the time. And he's literally been fined 3 times, THREE TIMES in the same season for diving. And through the last decade he's often been voted by his peer in those players poll as the most overrated, worst trash talker, and sh!t like that.

Plus he LOVES that attention, many times like when he lied to the media saying that Crosby told him he had bad breath and he brought the mouthwash thing? Sid was just like... i never said that, but that's PK he wants the attention. Even PK admitted it. Then Gallagher same thing, the media asked him about PK during the same and something he did and Gallagher was really clear he didnt want to talk about him cause that's exactly what he wanted. It's very very very obvious he's rubbing many people the wrong way with his personality. A lot of people in the music industry (myself included) hate Bono and Gene Simmonds, yeah cause they are huge personalities, loud and egomaniacs, a lot of people don't like people like that. 

Philly i have no idea, Winnipeg either. I know you didnt name Winni but i also know he's been booed there. And i repeat, obviously im 100% sure there's racist fans. But to claim that anyone booing him can only be due to racism when on paper there's so so many reasons for it is non-sense. Again, why isn't the other black NHL players booed in those cities then if its only about skin colour?

Edited by SterioDesign

23 minutes ago, MB3 said:

yeah i’m not reading another novel about why SD hates Subban, i’m good.

the forum should make some sort of selective filter. any time SD posts with the words “Subban”, “PK”, “Lou”, or “you’re obviously not listening to me” it gets muted for me. Because I don’t want to just outright block him, he’s one of my favorite members. But a little filter wouldn’t hurt. 

we live in a simulation 

Still better to be annoying to some than making very severe accusations like calling someone racist for absolutely no reasons beyond your own unfounded projections. You really should apologize to Rob_Ottawa

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So how was everyone's Labor Day weekend?

I saw Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I know with these super hero movies people love them or hate them, this one was a little less super hero-y so those who don’t like the Avengers type movies may still enjoy it.

Nobody got booed for being Asian, so that was good. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I saw Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I know with these super hero movies people love them or hate them, this one was a little less super hero-y so those who don’t like the Avengers type movies may still enjoy it.

Nobody got booed for being Asian, so that was good. 

I will have to see that eventually.  I still haven't been to the theaters since the pandemic started.  Most likely it will be the new James Bond movie that will make me go out to one (I love Bond films).

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I will have to see that eventually.  I still haven't been to the theaters since the pandemic started.  Most likely it will be the new James Bond movie that will make me go out to one (I love Bond films).

Obviously it depends on location, but our most local theater is never really packed, and it is even less so now. There were maybe 12 people in the theater for a 4pm showing, and it probably accommodates 40-50. I felt quite comfortable. 

They played a preview for the Bond movie, it looks great. 

Of course, I went to a Broadway show on Saturday and everyone was shoulder to shoulder (but masked). It felt weird to be back to being that close to people. 

Edited by mfitz804

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Knowing there’s some interest is a good position to be in. I think P.K. will be a much better player for us with Hamilton taking the big minutes but if we aren’t looking at the playoffs at mid season and he’s not in the future plans, trading him at half salary for something makes all the sense in the world. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Still better to be annoying to some than making very severe accusations like calling someone racist for absolutely no reasons beyond your own unfounded projections. You really should apologize to Rob_Ottawa

No worries,I already blocked all posts and mentions from the troll.

• Like 1