Jump to content

2021 Around The League Thread


Satans Hockey
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

the link is literally si.com lol. since when are you needlessly pedantic?

I don’t normally do pedantic, but I grew up reading THN (along with Hockey Digest), so I still view it as a separate publication. SI blows, so I actually agree with you there. I’d prefer they not be associated with THN, but that’s business I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t normally do pedantic, but I grew up reading THN (along with Hockey Digest), so I still view it as a separate publication. SI blows, so I actually agree with you there. I’d prefer they not be associated with THN, but that’s business I guess. 

The Hockey News is absolute garbage lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The Hockey News is absolute garbage lol

I’m just shocked that they didn't find a way to work the Leafs into that trade scenario. Their podcast is unlistenable because it's all Toronto and then 6 minutes of stuff around the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It just keeps getting worse....

https://www.tsn.ca/rick-westhead-former-blackhawks-coach-gives-investigators-account-of-player-abuse-allegations-1.1680876

The only thing that does surprise me is the potential that dozens or more people knew about this stuff, players, coaches, team/arena staff, executives, and not one of them said anything to the authorities. Maybe they thought that management had been told, but nothing happened and still none of them felt any obligation to go to the authorities....just crazy.

 

Not that this makes this story any better but NHL teams usually don't have interns that are minors, usually it's college kids earning college credits so they were probably under 21 and he thought they looked younger. Don't see why any team would have minors working for them but the Blackhawks were clearly a mess so maybe I'm wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Joe Thornton just keeps trying to luck into a Cup. Just fvcking retire bro. You’re finished. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/panthers-sign-thornton-to-one-year-deal?fbclid=IwAR3vt5vkOL3XMx7uEwdBLIY8xogHqAHT62H9iMj9Ivm0hGgsyNT3KpGcWmA

If I could keep making that kind of money I'd be going for it too. Plus, I think guys just want to play while they can. You got the rest of your life to miss playing the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Joe Thornton just keeps trying to luck into a Cup. Just fvcking retire bro. You’re finished. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/panthers-sign-thornton-to-one-year-deal?fbclid=IwAR3vt5vkOL3XMx7uEwdBLIY8xogHqAHT62H9iMj9Ivm0hGgsyNT3KpGcWmA

Kinda like Marleau a little...OK, you broke the all-time GP record for the NHL (that record loses a little luster anyway when you consider than both Howe and Jagr easily would have had many more NHL GP if they hadn't played in other leagues for a while), but Marleau basically needed a team with nothing going on who didn't mind giving a roster spot to a guy who had nothing left.  It's one thing to play into your late-30s/early 40s and still have a passing resemblance to the player you once were, and it's another when you're just finished...Marty's last couple of years (and that mini-stint with the Blues) were tough to watch.  It's always up to the player in the end (and if there's a team willing to pay them, of course the players have every right to take them up on it), but if you really don't have much left...just call it a career (easy for me to say, but Marleau had a fine career whether or not he set the all-time GP record).  What does a barely-on-fumes Thornton have left to prove?     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If I could keep making that kind of money I'd be going for it too. Plus, I think guys just want to play while they can. You got the rest of your life to miss playing the game. 

In some cases, you do wonder if some players made enough bad investments or spent recklessly enough that they don't have much choice but to keep trying to get just a bit more...even though they know they've declined so much that they're going to look bad to the fans who remember much better days, or hurt their career numbers a little.  I remember Mickey Mantle saying the reason he kept playing on terrible Yankees teams despite being beat up and clearly far from his prime was that the money was just too good to pass up...and that, quite simply, he needed it.  And his biggest regret was that his last two seasons cost him his lifetime .305 average...they knocked him down to .298...and it was that "one more" that cost him finishing his career in the .300s.  That bothered him for years after the fact.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In some cases, you do wonder if some players made enough bad investments or spent recklessly enough that they don't have much choice but to keep trying to get just a bit more...even though they know they've declined so much that they're going to look bad to the fans who remember much better days, or hurt their career numbers a little.  I remember Mickey Mantle saying the reason he kept playing on terrible Yankees teams despite being beat up and clearly far from his prime was that the money was just too good to pass up...and that, quite simply, he needed it.  And his biggest regret was that his last two seasons cost him his lifetime .305 average...they knocked him down to .298...and it was that "one more" that cost him finishing his career in the .300s.  That bothered him for years after the fact.     

To me it's a pride thing of unfinished business and showing you still have it mixed with money, I know it's wrestling but the undertaker in wwe has said in the past it's just so much money(talking over a million or so) to pass up for his family & their future that it's almost impossible for him to say no for a few nights worth of work but that he knows his body can't go like it use to so he'll go out and give a performance he hates, wants to come back to make up for that, have a good performance then get offered money again to come back and it's a vicious cycle. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

To me it's a pride thing of unfinished business and showing you still have it mixed with money, I know it's wrestling but the undertaker in wwe has said in the past it's just so much money(talking over a million or so) to pass up for his family their future that it's almost impossible for him to say no for a few night's of work but then he knows his body can't go like it use to so he'll go out and give a performance he hates, wants to come back to make up for that, have a good one then get offered money again to come back and it's a vicious cycle. 

That’s an excuse. A dude like the Undertaker has made millions and millions of dollars. He doesn’t need another dime, and neither does anyone closely related to him. I don’t get why rich people just can’t be content with being filthy fvcking rich. If I had that kind of money, I’d buy an island, take my family with me, and fvcking disappear. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Then why'd he sign with FLA 😂 

Sadly, they’re good now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By my math (and CapFriendly’s math), Joe has made over $100m playing hockey, and he just signed for $750k. That’s probably max $350k after agent fee, taxes, whatever that BS holdback they do is, etc. 

Eitter he is not in it for the money, or he has completely wasted tens of millions of dollars. I think it’s more likely the former. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sadly, they’re good now. 

I definitely wouldn't consider FLA good enough to say he's riding coattails. TBL, COL, VGK maybe. Like someone that is guaranteed good enough to drag him to at least a conference final. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it’s more denial that he is finished than anything else. Kind of like why Marty went to St. Louis. He wasn’t ready to be done despite the obvious evidence he was. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

By my math (and CapFriendly’s math), Joe has made over $100m playing hockey, and he just signed for $750k. That’s probably max $350k after agent fee, taxes, whatever that BS holdback they do is, etc. 

Eitter he is not in it for the money, or he has completely wasted tens of millions of dollars. I think it’s more likely the former. 

I'd be stunned if Joe had ever managed THAT, but you definitely have your share of people in the entertainment industry who've managed to piss away their fortunes...to be point where "normal" folk like us wonder how they could have possibly spent all that money.  The entourages who somehow wind up on a celeb's payroll can swallow up their fair share (and promptly disappear when the money stops flowing like wine...MC Hammer knows a thing or two about that).    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd be stunned if Joe had ever managed THAT, but you definitely have your share of people in the entertainment industry who've managed to piss away their fortunes...to be point where "normal" folk like us wonder how they could have possibly spent all that money.  The entourages who somehow wind up on a celeb's payroll can swallow up their fair share (and promptly disappear when the money stops flowing like wine...MC Hammer knows a thing or two about that).    

Yeah, it does happen. But he saved all of that money on shaving cream and razor blades all those years, so he should be good. Lorax looking motherfvcker. 

 

824F95E0-F341-48E3-B0D1-5AAB385B64BD.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The Hockey News is absolute garbage lol

I actually miss that podcast they used to put out with Ken.. something and two other dudes.  The takes were awful, the analysis was awful, it was just.. so bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I actually miss that podcast they used to put out with Ken.. something and two other dudes.  The takes were awful, the analysis was awful, it was just.. so bad.

Ken Campbell I’m guessing. On a scale of sh!t, his takes are a burn pit in Iraq 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had The Hockey News for years. Probably kept it way longer than I should have tbh. They never even tried to hide their disdain for the Devils. Seriously, they literally had Marty on the cover one year with some bs tag line like “he’s one of the best ever, but please don’t let his team win another Cup.”  Those assclowns pushed the Devils almost ruined hockey narrative as much as anyone. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I had The Hockey News for years. Probably kept it way longer than I should have tbh. They never even tried to hide their disdain for the Devils. Seriously, they literally had Marty on the cover one year with some bs tag line like “he’s one of the best ever, but please don’t let his team win another Cup.”  Those assclowns pushed the Devils almost ruined hockey narrative as much as anyone. 

I really hated that. The team was one of the best in the sport for that 1993-2003 period and got treated like the Cleveland Browns 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember reading the 2003-2004 season preview. Devils are the reigning cup champs and they did this thing where they went around the league saying what would be happening in each arena. Kind of like a hype thing. some examples would be like “5:33pm EST: a go-habs-go chant echoes down the street as montreal looks to go back to the promised land.” stupid corny stuff like that but it was so cool and I was pumped to read the devils one. (these are paraphrased from 20 years ago so not direct quotes but pretty close)

for anaheim they said “6:30pm, the ducks raise a banner for one of the greatest playoff runs of all time. giguere, unsurprisingly, gets the loudest ovation of all.”

for the devils? “7:31pm, the fans (or whoever made it to the game) let out a proud “Rangers suck” chant despite their arch rivals playing a road game several states away. music to the ears of the storied franchise that shares no similar vitriol to their counterparts across the hudson.” 

SI/THN always has been, still is, and always will be a rag that i wouldn’t even wipe my ass with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I had The Hockey News for years. Probably kept it way longer than I should have tbh. They never even tried to hide their disdain for the Devils. Seriously, they literally had Marty on the cover one year with some bs tag line like “he’s one of the best ever, but please don’t let his team win another Cup.”  Those assclowns pushed the Devils almost ruined hockey narrative as much as anyone. 

Everyone conveniently ignored we lead the league or were in the top 5 in scoring every year during our run of dominance. It’s just haterade. They know how good the Devils were, and they knew how dominant they were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.