Jump to content

2021 Around The League Thread


Satans Hockey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, MB3 said:

This reminds me a lot of the Adam Henrique contract. Most fans saying "I'd take him back if the price were right" and then he signs for something that makes you go "oh are you fvcking JOKING me!?" 

Yeah that's not a bad comparison, but the Henrique contract was especially ridiculous...some Devils fans like him (and vastly overrate him) due to two very memorable playoff goals (and some other moments sprinkled in), but he was simply never really that good...a perfectly ordinary player.

I wouldn't say that Palms' Isles deal is as bad as Henrique's, but I still wonder why the hell Lou went so long with him.  This sounds kinda funny coming from a fan whose team just spent $63 million for 7 years of Dougie Hamilton (don't get me wrong, I am 100% COMPLETELY on board with that move), but man does that Palms deal seem irresponsible on Lou's part.  I don't get that one, and I was probably the biggest Palms fan here (and I'll always remember the majority of his career here fondly).    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah you almost wonder who Lou was bidding against on that one.  The AAV isn't terrible, but four years?  His game was just iffy enough last season to justify offering a year or two.  If that's what his camp was looking for, I can see why Fitz moved on. 

Devils got Palms' most cost-effective years for sure.  

No wonder there were zero rumors of Palms talking to other teams. If this was the handshake deal they had, there was no need to shop round. Lou gonna Lou. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I don't think the palms deal is too crazy. A bit on the high side but I think that's just how the market has been this off-season

For whatever it’s worth, I think what Tatar signed for is what Fitz might’ve initially offered Palms, in a “Take it or leave it” kind of way (before talks broke off).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

No wonder there were zero rumors of Palms talking to other teams. If this was the handshake deal they had, there was no need to shop round. Lou gonna Lou. 

For better or for worse, Lou definitely wraps guys up…a lot of forwards are signed long term…not the case with his D (a couple of them are up there in age).  Will be interesting to see how he tackles that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that's big.  I hope Zajac gets a fat one too haha.

I guess this also means they are out on Tarasenko.  Everyone was saying that Lou had these in his desk drawer so STL didn't know how much cap space he had.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without the scoring palms isn’t nowhere close to palms who deserve this money. And he didn’t use his shot last year. Maybe two or three time in entire season. May be he has some back or shoulder injury. But this is a big sign to not sign him on that kind of deal. Even if he will return to use his shot, injury precedent is a stop lock to sign him long term.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, DevsMan84 said:

I figured this was worth nothing outside the thread in the Marketplace.

So this year the NHL is making a change to the actual materials of the on-ice jersey.  They are switching from the current material to the Parley material that was worn during the All-Star game a couple years back in San Jose.  The material is either totally or partially made from recycled materials and falls in line with Adidas' initiative to go more green.

Now, some of you may or may not know that the on-ice MiC jerseys the players wear are actually quite a bit different than the ones Adidas sells to the public as "Authentic" which are made in Indonesia and made out of completely different materials that were called both AeroReady and Climalite (same thing they just changed names a couple years back).  The new "Authentics" Adidas will be selling to the public are going to be called PrimeGreen and apparently also with recycled material.  Below is an example of Adidas starting to sell Vegas jerseys using this branding.

This is also largely the reason why the past year or so Adidas has been dumping a lot of jerseys to discount retailers like Ross, TJ Maxx, etc.

https://www.adidas.com/us/golden-knights-home-authentic-jersey/GT5633.html

I own a couple of the Red Bulls Parley jerseys. The league has been making them for a few years now and the entire league wears them for a game one weekend. The only difference is that they are always in either like a black/blue/white versions but that's more to call attention to keeping our oceans clean with their for the oceans campaign . I like the cause so I always buy them but I generally hate the color blue since I've been conditioned to hate that color lol They fit and feel very well though and I'd never guess they were made from some plastic thrown into the ocean. My only complaint is that they never seem to make enough of them so they can be a pain to get them, we all know there's plenty of plastic in the ocean so it shouldn't be difficult to make more. 

2018...

2019... 

 

2020...

 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So, unless the Islanders still have a move up their sleeve... why all this secrecy? And why was it released now? What changed exactly?

Nothing, it’s Lou doing Lou things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So, unless the Islanders still have a move up their sleeve... why all this secrecy? And why was it released now? What changed exactly?

Yeah this whole thing was weird...given the fact that it was obvious that ALL of those players were coming back (they'd be looking for offers elsewhere otherwise), it was the worst-kept secret that they were staying with the Isles.  And even if the exact terms weren't disclosed right away, most GMs could do the math by approximating the values of each signing...at which point it would become clear that Lou's going to be up against it, as far as the cap goes.  And his team is currently over:

New York Islanders Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And I know the Islanders have gone deep into the playoffs the past couple of seasons, but that roster seems overpaid for what it is.  And a lot of guys are locked up long-term.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So, unless the Islanders still have a move up their sleeve... why all this secrecy? And why was it released now? What changed exactly?

The only thing I could think of is trying to keep the cards close to the vest for a Tarasenko deal but that doesn't even make much sense. It looks like Lou being all secretive for the sake of being all secretive. 

Dude lives in a James Bond world. 

Additional theory... Lou doesn't believe in fax machines or email so he sent the contracts to the  league via carrier tortoise (because he doesn't trust those new fangled pigeons)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Additional theory... Lou doesn't believe in fax machines or email so he sent the contracts to the  league via carrier tortoise (because he doesn't trust those new fangled pigeons)

Alternate theory: he looks exactly like a carrier tortoise himself so it’s probably his relative. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I own a couple of the Red Bulls Parley jerseys. The league has been making them for a few years now and the entire league wears them for a game one weekend. The only difference is that they are always in either like a black/blue/white versions but that's more to call attention to keeping our oceans clean with their for the oceans campaign . I like the cause so I always buy them but I generally hate the color blue since I've been conditioned to hate that color lol They fit and feel very well though and I'd never guess they were made from some plastic thrown into the ocean. My only complaint is that they never seem to make enough of them so they can be a pain to get them, we all know there's plenty of plastic in the ocean so it shouldn't be difficult to make more. 

2018...

2019... 

 

2020...

 

I have a few shirts from Banana Republic that were on a steep discount (like $10) and are made from 4 recycled water bottles each,. They're honestly some of the most comfortable shirts I own, FWIW

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinda surprised they don't try to upgrade the arena in Tuscon and move the Yotes there: Big military base, good economy (from what I little I know) and a lot of retirees from the Air Force tend to head there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/nhl-to-punish-unvaccinated-players-more-harshly-this-season?fbclid=IwAR3RjAEU9NmSk1s19v2V_wn_ig88kXdF6HKwcbm14VvqhBu7OpqJu70r6-4

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Kinda surprised they don't try to upgrade the arena in Tuscon and move the Yotes there: Big military base, good economy (from what I little I know) and a lot of retirees from the Air Force tend to head there.

They need to be moved to Houston or Quebec. Enough of this sh!t. It doesn’t work there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/projecting-team-canadas-2022-olympic-mens-hockey-roster/

Cool to see Blackwood getting some love and some people projecting him on team Canada for the olympics. Im not sure about that but still cool

I could see it. It’ll probably be Price, MAF, and probably someone like Blackwood or Hart as the 3rd. EDIT: forgot about Binnington, can’t really go wrong with him either.

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I could see it. It’ll probably be Price, MAF, and probably someone like Blackwood or Hart as the 3rd. EDIT: forgot about Binnington, can’t really go wrong with him either.

I wanna see how Binnington bounces back after a pretty pedestrian season for his first full in an uncontested net plus without the Cup hangover. I also think if Mac can't beat out Hart at this point, then he's regressing, much to our dismay. Not to discredit Hart, but I think last year Mac passed him

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.