2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

I would much rather stay in NJ if I’m Fitz. Our under 23 group is top 5 in the league, and the Pens are about to enter some bleak years pretty soon. That cupboard is bare once their aging stars retire. I personally think their window is already closed, whereas ours (hopefully) will be opening up in the near future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I would much rather stay in NJ if I’m Fitz. Our under 23 group is top 5 in the league, and the Pens are about to enter some bleak years pretty soon. That cupboard is bare once their aging stars retire. I personally think their window is already closed, whereas ours (hopefully) will be opening up in the near future. 

I’m alarmed to see his contract expires in June and they haven’t extended him. These owners love analytics. They better not cut Fitz loose for some clown like Chayka. I know they tried hiring him for some role with HBSE. I’d lead a march down Mulberry Street if they pull some bullsh!t like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

What you are saying makes sense, but obviously doesn’t take into account whatever loyalty he has to the people in Pittsburgh’s organization. 

Or if the Devils have any plans of keeping him. Obviously we are even less privy to whether there are negotiations happening than when we speculate about players. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m alarmed to see his contract expires in June and they haven’t extended him. These owners love analytics. They better not cut Fitz loose for some clown like Chayka. I know they tried hiring him for some role with HBSE. I’d lead a march down Mulberry Street if they pull some bullsh!t like that. 

Pretty sure they wanted Chayka for some multi-sport position. I don’t think he was ever a real candidate for GM of the Devils. It does feel nice that other teams want Fitz though. I think he’ll end up staying. He got to handpick his own coach, he has two up and coming #1OA’s (one who might be a superstar someday soon), an elite young goalie, etc. The only thing I’d give the Pens job over the Devils is Mario is a pretty great owner. 

• Like 1

So Mete and his agent will apparently ask for a trade in MTL. He's been an healthy scratch for all MTL's game so far.

How long til we see something similar with Butcher? He doesn't have a spot and Vats is not even here yet.

I don't know... Butcher might not be the best right now but if Vats can come in and take a good chunk of Subban's minutes. I'd honestly rather REALLY try to trade Subban now and let Butcher be part of our young core that will grow together. Subban is just patching a hole at the moment and he's 100% not part of our long-term plan so.

I’d trade PK tonight if there was a taker.  Just don’t see who’s going to want to take on his hit right this second.  

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I assume we’d be taking some of it. 

Of course, but the actual cap hit will still be his new team’s responsibility.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course, but the actual cap hit will still be his new team’s responsibility.

I don’t think that’s how that works. Doesn’t the trading team also retain a percentage of the cap hit for the salary they retain?

EDIT: This article explains it. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-retained-salary-trades/

Edited by mfitz804

Yeah was just looking this up and for some reason I thought that the hit itself couldn’t be split up.  I see now that isn’t the case.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah was just looking this up and for some reason I thought that the hit itself couldn’t be split up.  I see now that isn’t the case.

For those who didn’t look it up, both the actual salary and the cap hit can be split up to 50%, with a handful of limitations concerning the number of times it can be done, and the number of players you can do it for. 

DeAngelo waived lol...if it wasn't for all his bullsh!t I'd say fvck it just claim him (especially since he had a career year with Ruff on the staff), but it's because of all the bullsh!t he's getting waived in the first place - the stuff we know and probably stuff we don't.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

DeAngelo waived lol...if it wasn't for all his bullsh!t I'd say fvck it just claim him (especially since he had a career year with Ruff on the staff), but it's because of all the bullsh!t he's getting waived in the first place - the stuff we know and probably stuff we don't.

I wouldn't touch him. Not worth it.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-place-d-tony-deangelo-on-waivers-1.1585694

Article in case anyone wants to read it.