2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

38 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

fvck it I would love TDA in Jersey. He played really good under Ruff too. He’d come on the ice like...

vince mcmahon GIF

And let’s be fair here. Subban and Wood fought at practice a couple of weeks ago. 

Sure, a known racist homophobe who denies COVID exists and is more concerned about his Twitter account and podcasts than you know, playing hockey. And gets in a fight with his own goalie. 

Sounds like the perfect way to fvck up whatever kind of team chemistry we have going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure, a known racist homophobe who denies COVID exists and is more concerned about his Twitter account and podcasts than you know, playing hockey. And gets in a fight with his own goalie. 

Sounds like the perfect way to fvck up whatever kind of team chemistry we have going. 

I don’t believe he’s really that bad. If he was really a racist he wouldn’t be playing in this league especially in this day and age.

Rags fans say he was the first one to defend Miller last year after something racist happened over a zoom call. 

Things get blown out of proportion these days. Dude can play hockey especially under Ruff.

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I don’t believe he’s really that bad. If he was really a racist he wouldn’t be playing in this league especially in this day and age.

Rags fans say he was the first one to defend Miller last year after something racist happened over a zoom call. 

Things get blown out of proportion these days. Dude can play hockey especially under Ruff.

Wasn’t he suspended for making racist comments while playing in the OHL? And I think it was more than once. 

And I notice you didn’t mention the COVID denial, obviously that is indefensible, as were he election fraud statements and his support of the attack on the Capitol. 

Pretty sure a talented 25 year old player doesn’t get waived if he’s not “that bad”.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Just now, Jerzey said:

He was suspended by his coach for using a slur against his teammate. It was 6-7 years ago though. He was 18. 

Oh ok, then it’s fine. Racism was totally cool 6-7 years ago, I’m sure by now he’s changed his entire belief system. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh ok, then it’s fine. Racism was totally cool 6-7 years ago, I’m sure by now he’s changed his entire belief system. 

I don’t believe that just because someone says something racist it necessarily means they’re racist.

I mean look at Kramer (Michael Richards). He snapped during a live show and dropped the N bomb but is he really a racist or was he so mad that he lost it and said the worst thing he could think of? Same with Mel Gibson. He was drunk and really mad so he said some really bad sh!t.

These guys could actually be racist, I’m just saying words don’t tell the whole story. How many of us older guys will admit that we used the F bomb back in the day with no intent of being anti gay? 

Edited by Jerzey

17 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I don’t believe that just because someone says something racist it necessarily means they’re racist.

I mean look at Kramer (Michael Richards). He snapped during a live show and dropped the N bomb but is he really a racist or was he so mad that he lost it and said the worst thing he could think of? Same with Mel Gibson. He was drunk and really mad so he said some really bad sh!t.

These guys could actually be racist, I’m just saying words don’t tell the whole story. How many of us older guys will admit that we used the F bomb back in the day with no intent of being anti gay? 

Kinda sounds like because he put up 53 points in 68 GP last season, you’re looking to minimize whatever issues or faults that he might have.

The very team that he put up those 53 points with wants nothing more to do with him, with several potential prime years (based on his age) ahead of him.  For the Rangers to decide he’s that much of a detriment despite his ability says a hell of a lot.

I get giving guys a second chance, and maybe he gets one in time.  Just not sure it’s the Devils that should give it to him...especially since as others have mentioned, they appear to be building a little somethin.  I’d rather let this breathe, than bring a guy who has “disruptive” potential written all over him.  Maybe a guy like him needs to lose something for a while before he truly appreciates it...and recognizes that to get it back, he needs to become a better person.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda sounds like because he put up 53 points in 68 GP last season, you’re looking to minimize whatever issues or faults that he might have.

The very team that he put up those 53 points with wants nothing more to do with him, with several potential prime years (based on his age) ahead of him.  For the Rangers to decide he’s that much of a detriment despite his ability says a hell of a lot.

I get giving guys a second chance, and maybe he gets one in time.  Just not sure it’s the Devils that should give it to him...especially since as others have mentioned, they appear to be building a little somethin.  I’d rather let this breathe, than bring a guy who has “disruptive” potential written all over him.  Maybe a guy like him needs to lose something for a while before he truly appreciates it...and recognizes that to get it back, he needs to become a better person.

To piggy back onto the bolded, supposedly they were also trying to trade him and found no takers. Again, just rumors, but if true it shows that his act has gotten stale league-wide 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To piggy back onto the bolded, supposedly they were also trying to trade him and found no takers. Again, just rumors, but if true it shows that his act has gotten stale league-wide 

Yeah saw that.  Says a lot, if true.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get giving guys a second chance, and maybe he gets one in time.  Just not sure it’s the Devils that should give it to him...especially since as others have mentioned, they appear to be building a little somethin. 

Exactly right. Let some team that isn’t trying to rebuild itself give him that shot. We have a new coach, tons of rookies and young guys, and it feels (and looks, from the Ruff video today) that they have some good chemistry going. I don’t think Tony is a good fit with all of that. 

• Like 2

Fair enough. I guess the defense has been playing pretty good so far and there’s no reason to fix what isn’t broken. Plus we still have Butcher (who will probably end up requesting a trade if he doesn’t get ice time soon) ready to come up.

I was just think of how good he was under Ruff’s defense and I can’t get that 5 point game he had against us out of my head.

But it seems by the reaction of everyone here and the hockey world as a whole, taking a little time away, maybe to play in Europe, might be a good idea for him. 

I’m still gonna watch Seinfeld and Mel Gibson movies though.

Jesus what a disaster for the Sens tnight lol... Murray let in 3 goals on 9 shots... get pulled... Backup comes in and get scored on twice on 3 shots....

all in the first period.

Was wondering if they'd go back to Murray to start the 2nd... nope. Kept Hogberg... then get scored on within the first 40 seconds of the 2nd period lol

7 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Fair enough. I guess the defense has been playing pretty good so far and there’s no reason to fix what isn’t broken. Plus we still have Butcher (who will probably end up requesting a trade if he doesn’t get ice time soon) ready to come up.

I was just think of how good he was under Ruff’s defense and I can’t get that 5 point game he had against us out of my head.

But it seems by the reaction of everyone here and the hockey world as a whole, taking a little time away, maybe to play in Europe, might be a good idea for him. 

If anyone wants to stop watching Mel Gibson movies, watch that beaver one. It’s reason enough on its own to stop. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Jesus what a disaster for the Sens tnight lol... Murray let in 3 goals on 9 shots... get pulled... Backup comes in and get scored on twice on 3 shots....

all in the first period.

Was wondering if they'd go back to Murray to start the 2nd... nope. Kept Hogberg... then get scored on within the first 40 seconds of the 2nd period lol

Are you sure you weren’t watching one of our games from 2018-19?

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If anyone wants to stop watching Mel Gibson movies, watch that beaver one. It’s reason enough on its own to stop. 

But he just made a movie where he plays Santa Claus and a little rich kid who he put on his naughty list puts a hit on him. How can you pass on that?

Edited by Jerzey
  • Shocking 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nooo he's in Boss Level coming out this year and it's an awesome movie lol

also yes im sure. the game is still happening at the moment

12 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

But he just made a movie where he plays Santa Claus and a little rich kid who he put on his naughty list puts a hit on him. How can you pass on that?

Wow talk about coincidence - my fiancé and I have been on a bit of a Mel Gibson kick.  Watched The Patriot (holy sh!t so fvcking good), Braveheart (classic), Signs (still so good).

This one though... I... I don't think this will make our COVID watch list.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Wasn’t he suspended for making racist comments while playing in the OHL? And I think it was more than once. 

And I notice you didn’t mention the COVID denial, obviously that is indefensible, as were he election fraud statements and his support of the attack on the Capitol. 

Pretty sure a talented 25 year old player doesn’t get waived if he’s not “that bad”.

Yes he was twice in Jr's. 

He's also worked his way out of 3 NHL locker rooms now.

Guy is a proven grade A POS as a person. Hopefully Kreider did really punch the little fvcker in the face.  Not to even get into his politics which are off the charts.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jerzey said:

That’s a different type of situation though. It’s much easier to separate the art from the artist when it comes to entertainment. For example, Roman Polanski directed a couple of films I absolutely love (Rosemary’s Baby & Chinatown), but I wouldn’t want to be around the guy. There’s plenty of people that still love Michael Jackson’s music, etc. With sports you actually have to root for the individual personally though. Plus the player is part of a locker room where his actions can directly effect the team. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

See the source image

I've liked a lot of his movies too...but more and more I get the feeling that whatever internal crazy resources he needed to tap into to play Martin Riggs going over the edges, he didn't need to dig all that deep.  I did see that "beaver one", and yeah, that was...out there.  Wouldn't call it bad necessarily, just very out there.  

Don't know if you ever saw The Bounty (one of Mel's earlier movies, from 1984...he was only around 28 during shooting), but co-star Anthony Hopkins was deeply concerned about the young Gibson's heavy drinking and general disposition...cast and crew were worried when filming had wrapped for any given day, because Mel would then go out, get tanked, and on occasion wind up in a bar brawl...there were scenes where they could only shoot one side of his face, due to the other being banged up from god knows what.  Hopkins said that he thought Mel had a very bright future, but that he would jeopardize it if he couldn't get himself under control.  Turned out to be rather prophetic, sadly enough.