2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

18 hours ago, titans04 said:

That's one way to see it for sure.

On the other hand games are now being cancelled at a rapid rate (I believe 6 teams on are hold?) and that's a pretty big indicator things are slipping away.  Based on the number of teams on hold and games being cancelled does it really matter whether guys are actually sick or it's precautionary, it's reeking havoc on the already shortened season imo.  However, I certainly respect your opinion.

This is what I was talking about... 

"while we have seen almost 100 players enter our COVID protocols, fewer than half have done so because of confirmed positive tests" 

Not that it's great number wise either but at least it shows they are being proactive in terms of putting guys on the list just in case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is what I was talking about... 

"while we have seen almost 100 players enter our COVID protocols, fewer than half have done so because of confirmed positive tests" 

Not that it's great number wise either but at least it shows they are being proactive in terms of putting guys on the list just in case. 

All good, the less that are getting sick the better.  I just think the season maybe on the brink of slipping away at the rate they're going but I'm a little jaded, I wasn't sure going in that having a season was a top priority with how messed up the rest of the society is. Too many close to me have either been lost or impacted by what some still consider not a real threat.  But that's not a discussion for here. 

19 minutes ago, titans04 said:

All good, the less that are getting sick the better.  I just think the season maybe on the brink of slipping away at the rate they're going but I'm a little jaded, I wasn't sure going in that having a season was a top priority with how messed up the rest of the society is. Too many close to me have either been lost or impacted by what some still consider not a real threat.  But that's not a discussion for here. 

I don’t do a lot of estate work, but right now I have four Estates of people who passed from the virus. I have like six total.I don’t do a lot of estate work, but right now I have four Estates of people who passed from the virus. That’s more than half of the files I have. We don’t advertise for it, everyone of those was someone we know or someone who knew someone we know.

I personally believe the fact that the effects of the virus are so variable has led some people down the wrong path and thinking that it doesn’t exist or it’s not serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Sorry to hear that about your loved ones. When it comes to people who don't think it's a real threat I simply think of George Carlin saying "Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that." 

Season wise I'm simply not surprised by any of it because with all the other leagues playing there wasn't anyway the NHL was gonna be the only one to sit it out and like the other leagues they will just power through whatever issues arise. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, jagknife said:

At this point if I'm Gary, I'm proposing an immediate 10 day pause of the season. and just move everything to the right by 10 days. Quick fix that'll let people be home but away from possible spread.

I was thinking the same thing.  I guess the problem with it is that it will reduce re-scheduling flexibility across the board (and seeing that the Canadian division isn't having any issues, they'd probably wonder why they'd be forced to stop).  

But yeah for the moment it's a mess.  I just hope (along with everyone else of course) that there's no freak fatalities that come out of any of this...as we know, the actual fatality rate in the grand scheme is not high, but it's not like every last fatality fit the high-risk profile.  And all it takes is one death (be it player, coach, trainer, etc) before everyone screams "Well what the hell were they all thinking by playing in the first place?"  

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

At this point if I'm Gary, I'm proposing an immediate 10 day pause of the season. and just move everything to the right by 10 days. Quick fix that'll let people be home but away from possible spread.

They already have a time crunch as it is(needing to finish the season if the Olympics actually happen which is up in the air) so there's no way they are gonna pause and Colorado played Minnesota on Tuesday so they were the Devils version of Buffalo.

Sitting healthy teams at home for 10 days won't necessarily stop anything cause they can be out and about with their families or friends or whoever and get sick on day 8 and then when they come back still get a whole team sick and then you can have a team that just sat out healthy for 10 days now be out for almost 20+ days. 

If anything they should have done like they did with the Blues and Coyotes who were gonna play Colorado and Minnesota but are now playing each other this weekend and moved games around cause there's no fans anyway. Should have had Pittsburgh and the Islanders play more games against each other this week instead of just getting more days of practice and that would have opened up some free days in the future for these makeup games. 

The NHL is simply going to power through whatever happens just like every other league has done. Is it a mess? Sure, but it is what it is and that's what they are gonna do. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I guess the problem with it is that it will reduce re-scheduling flexibility across the board (and seeing that the Canadian division isn't having any issues, they'd probably wonder why they'd be forced to stop).  

But yeah for the moment it's a mess.  I just hope (along with everyone else of course) that there's no freak fatalities that come out of any of this...as we know, the actual fatality rate in the grand scheme is not high, but it's not like every last fatality fit the high-risk profile.  And all it takes is one death (be it player, coach, trainer, etc) before everyone screams "Well what the hell were they all thinking by playing in the first place?" 

1991907000_ScreenShot2021-02-05at5_56_14PM.thumb.png.9567568d76cf7bc46aabfa2f72b1c050.pngMrs-Kintner.thumb.jpg.bea5771e8a199109786a8358ea7bd342.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Every. Freaking. Time. I immediately have this song in my head (for very obvious reasons)

Pretty sure that I read somewhere that this video was the first domino to fall in influencing “Cobra Kai” (though it came out many years before the show started filming).  Wanna say that one of the future writers of Cobra Kai saw that and wondered what an older Johnny Lawrence would be doing, and how losing the tournament would’ve affected his life...and that it all took off from there.  

• Shocking 1

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty sure that I read somewhere that this video was the first domino to fall in influencing “Cobra Kai” (though it came out many years before the show started filming).  Wanna say that one of the future writers of Cobra Kai saw that and wondered what an older Johnny Lawrence would be doing, and how losing the tournament would’ve affected his life...and that it all took off from there.  

I know No More Kings had a few other songs, if not the entire album, that was a satire of the movies. This aspect though is amazing