2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, pumpkin cutter said:

idk if thats good or bad for us. i'm goin with good. 

I don't think it's really a bad thing, the article makes sense, most of these kids who would be in the draft are not even playing, gives the team more time to evaluate all of them. Realistically it would be only 1 player if we have a really high pick that would possibly be on the team next season anyway. 

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think it's really a bad thing, the article makes sense, most of these kids who would be in the draft are not even playing, gives the team more time to evaluate all of them. Realistically it would be only 1 player if we have a really high pick that would possibly be on the team next season anyway. 

that's what i was thinkin. 

• Like 1

Major screw up in yesterday's Carolina at Columbus game...

Carolina scores

Columbus challenges for offsides, it's absolutely an offside play

Official looks at the replay but apparently a new person working in Columbus says on a hot mic, it's a good goal a few times so official calls it a good goal 

NHL war room in Toronto is yelling into the mic but can't be heard now cause the head set is being cleaned cause of covid protocols 

Columbus given a penalty for a challenge that didn't win

Period ends with like 40 seconds left on the Columbus penalty 

They come back and remove the rest of the penalty cause of how bad they screwed up but the goal still counts 

Carolina wins the game by 1 goal lol

Video of everything... 

Another reason to hate instant replay. Not only does the offsides have nothing to do with the goal, its so long in between that it shouldn't even be reviewable. 

I'm confused though, based on that video the penalty was never started, they put it up and then took it down. Did someone actually start serving it?

But I don't even understand the call. If the challenge is unsuccessful, then you get a penalty. You shouldn't be able to have an unsuccessful challenge and then no penalty. The second that penalty came off the board, then that means the challenge was legit because it was offsides, and the goal should have been disallowed and the clock turned back to the time of the offsides. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Another reason to hate instant replay. Not only does the offsides have nothing to do with the goal, its so long in between that it shouldn't even be reviewable. 

I'm confused though, based on that video the penalty was never started, they put it up and then took it down. Did someone actually start serving it?

But I don't even understand the call. If the challenge is unsuccessful, then you get a penalty. You shouldn't be able to have an unsuccessful challenge and then no penalty. The second that penalty came off the board, then that means the challenge was legit because it was offsides, and the goal should have been disallowed and the clock turned back to the time of the offsides. 

Yeah the penalty was served for the remaining time of the period, they only took off the remaining 40 seconds or whatever was left when they came back from intermission which really made it look even more foolish cause if Carolina scored on that powerplay before the period ended would they have removed that too? Lol

The biggest issue was the Columbus employee saying it was a good call to the official when he shouldn't have been speaking at all and since he said it a few times the official just listened to it lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah the penalty was served for the remaining time of the period, they only took off the remaining 40 seconds or whatever was left when they came back from intermission which really made it look even more foolish cause if Carolina scored on that powerplay before the period ended would they have removed that too? Lol

The biggest issue was the Columbus employee saying it was a good call to the official when he shouldn't have been speaking at all and since he said it a few times the official just listened to it lol

The bigger deal is the second part, the official listening to them. Watch it and make your own call. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The bigger deal is the second part, the official listening to them. Watch it and make your own call. 

Absolutely, but I guess if he thought it was the room in Toronto yelling its a good goal, it's a good goal, he figured he would hurry it up and not waste everyone's time but you know the saying about what happens when you assume lol

28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely, but I guess if he thought it was the room in Toronto yelling its a good goal, it's a good goal, he figured he would hurry it up and not waste everyone's time but you know the saying about what happens when you assume lol

Yup, when you assume you serve a 1:20 penalty and the goal still counts. 

23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Is Tortorella trying to get sh!tcanned? Benched Laine last night

Think he's worn out his welcome in Columbus.  Seems like it's a matter of time before the players start (rightfully IMO) tuning him out.

He's got such a ridiculous ego - always has to be about him.

The Pens are at a point where they have to start sitting back and try to see how realistic it is for them to win a cup with that core. And decide if they want to completely sacrifice their future for a few extra shot for the cup with Crosby and Malkin. Or if they start building for the future and trade Malkin. And start building a younger core so that they have a smoother transition and not what we did to run the team completely to the ground.

Edited by SterioDesign

I understand (to a certain extent) benching any player. But, let's say Ty Smith has an bad error (pass picked off and resulted in scoring opportunity) Coach puts him out next shift (doesn't miss a shift) and we all say bravo coach. What i don't understand is why he benched the remainder of the game> He couldn't have a "sit down" between periods and say 'don't let this happen again? He had to humiliate the guy? punishment?  No chance to redeem himself? Messed up. Torts is full of himself.

20 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The Pens are at a point where they have to start sitting back and try to see how realistic it is for them to win a cup with that core. And decide if they want to completely sacrifice their future for a few extra shot for the cup with Crosby and Malkin. Or if they start building for the future and trade Malkin. And start building a younger core so that they have a smoother transition and not what we did to run the team completely to the ground.

We know what YOUR take would be, but I would say it really depends how much the Penguins think Crosby and Malkin truly have left in the tank...can they be front and center for another legitimate run or two?  Is there enough of a supporting cast around them?  Do they have some youth either on the team or up and coming?  FWIW, Crosby and Malkin are two of the oldest players on the team...it's not like the Pens are saddled with a lot of mid-30s faded vets who were brought in to keep the ship afloat, and are now too expensive and past their prime to still be useful (the Pens' average player age is right at league average).  

Crosby and Malkin are clearly special talents...Malkin's off to a slow start this year, but over the past five seasons he hasn't slowed down offensively at all, really.  I'm not saying a guy like Malkin should be 100% untouchable...more that moving him is a consideration the Pens REALLY have to think through...it's basically ushering in the end of an era.  If they truly believe that they have enough youth in the system and on the team with upside, they should probably try to make another run with Crosby and Malkin...not like that next Malkin is always right around the corner.  If they think their roster isn't up to snuff with what's in house and they simply don't want to give up any more future pieces for right now, they should deal Malkin.  He's signed through next year, so they could put this off a year if they believe that they have a legit run in them this season (their goalies are off to a brutal start...they have to deal for one if they want go all-in one last time).  

If they did make that difficult decision to move Malkin this sesaon...at they very least, along with trying to nab a prospect or two, they can try to re-stock on draft picks in 2021 (assuming a draft happens)...they only have a 2nd, 5th, and (3) 7th rounders as of today.  They still do have all of their picks for 2022 and 2023.    

Also keep in mind that Crosby is signed for four more years after this one.  I'm guessing they'd have to sell him on a Malkin trade being a (very) temporary step-back-to-take-a-step-forward kind of move...I'm definitely one who believes that GMs should make the personnel moves and players under contract should play, but would Crosby want to spend his remaining years in Pittsburgh if they're not trying to compete for a Cup?   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976