2021 Around The League Thread

57 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Get ready. 

God I hate it.

I really hate the ads on the ice too. At least don't put sh!t the flickers and obscures the playing surface so I can't watch the play going on. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hated that they gave the Conn Smythe to Giguere. Always have. He was great, but so was Marty. And that ended up being the one thing missing from his trophy case when all was said and done. If you pu

I don’t want a guy who pulled the sh!t PLD did the other night anyway. fvck that noise. I don’t need anything like that near my impressionable young core.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Guess I’ll save money on jerseys going forward...

Likely they will still be sold without advertising at retail? I don’t know if they’ll be sold all decked out or not. 

Which then puts the jersey purists to the task of finding the correct patches, which is a whole other thing. 

There is also a huge, HUGE difference between Euro stuff and a small sponsor patch, like they wear on the practice jerseys. Still not great, but it wouldn’t make me swear off jerseys. 

47625491922_c844583c87_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Get ready. 

Knew it was coming soon as they approved the helmet logos, it sucks but it's not the least bit surprising. Those poor billionaire owners, what would they ever do without some extra corporate sponsorship money?

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Lafreniere is on pace for 17 points in his rookie season. I just hope he doesnt go above 21 (Hughes). That way it's in the books that it's not Jack that had the worst recent first overall rookie season lol

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Likely they will still be sold without advertising at retail? I don’t know if they’ll be sold all decked out or not. 

Which then puts the jersey purists to the task of finding the correct patches, which is a whole other thing. 

There is also a huge, HUGE difference between Euro stuff and a small sponsor patch, like they wear on the practice jerseys. Still not great, but it wouldn’t make me swear off jerseys. 

47625491922_c844583c87_b.jpg

Agree, I think they will start off small like the NBA. To test the water. 

I doubt the NHL will ever go down the Euro route. There is so little money in European Hockey that they need everything they can get.  One primary sponsor is not going to pay the cumulative value of all the smaller sponsors. 

I am used to it with Football (soccer) although Chelsea recently released a retro Cup special Jersey where the primary sponsor was blended into the kit, and it sold more than any others. So shows there is a preference. 

Screenshot_20210418-181304_Firefox.thumb.jpg.e8cf995e37fb0e51353294fe85300517.jpgScreenshot_20210418-181356_Firefox.thumb.jpg.1ffc045d6d5c24d124a3a653daee779e.jpg

its not great but if fans are THAT annoyed by seeing a few logos here and there and that it's taking away their enjoyment of watching athletes playing their favourite sports. Then that's on them for making the decision to be that annoyed by it. It does not affect the play a single bit

Edited by SterioDesign

I agree they'll start small, but I also can see them continuously trying to push to see how far they can take it. The idea of having a Bud Light or Outback Steakhouse logo on the team's jersey just makes me wanna barf...and I don't even really think of myself as a fan of "tradition" or "Principle". If anything in our sport was untouchable by corporate sponsors it should be/have been the jerseys.

• Like 1

How though? Soccer is the biggest sport in the world. They have players getting paid over 100million per season. Yet their teams all have a HUGE logo on t heir shirt bigger than their own logo. 

So in that optic. Why would hockey... not being a top sports in the US could get away with it? Im glad it did obviously but i can also understand why they would have to. Especially after going through the last year where so many teams lost soooooooooo much money

A lot of those Euro teams are a lot smaller in terms of, well, everything.  They have smaller TV deals, smaller arenas, smaller merchandise sales, etc.  Selling advertisements on the ice and on the jerseys is for them to close the gap.

Out of the four major league NA sports, hockey is always fourth in revenue by a decent margin every year.  Their TV deals are definitely smaller than the other leagues, play less games than MLB, their stadiums/arenas have smaller capacities than the other leagues, and they are far more dependent on revenue coming from the gates than the other leagues.  With COVID coming in, there is an incentive from both the owners due to the CBA to find other sources of income to off-set the losses from having few to no fans in games for the foreseeable future.

I think mfitz is right about the size of the patches.  It will likely be small like the one shown on that practice jersey or like the small patches the NBA wears.  It will be negligible.  While I will never say never, I highly doubt the NHL reaches the level of the Euro leagues jerseys simply because NA fans wouldn't stand for it.

I'm assuming they've been wearing them all season and I'm just now seeing it, but holy crap are the gold helmets that the Vegas players are wearing so god-awful. It looks like some cheap gimmick you'd see in a video game. Reminds me of NBA Jam when the players were "on fire" or hearing up.  Those aren't their permanent home helmets, are they?!

Nice tribute by the league to Marleau for breaking the record tonight - he looked a little emotional.  Also, maybe it was just the camera angle, but Gary Bettman did not look very good at all. His face looked pretty sunken in and he's really showing his age. 

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Patrick Marleau is about to pass Gordie Howe for all-time games played in NHL history.

I had an exhausting day and was on the road for 6 hours today, but I purposely tried to stay up to watch the opening moments of this game just to see a bit of history. Pretty cool moment. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm assuming they've been wearing them all season and I'm just now seeing it, but holy crap are the gold helmets that the Vegas players are wearing so god-awful. It looks like some cheap gimmick you'd see in a video game. Reminds me of NBA Jam when the players were "on fire" or hearing up.  Those aren't their permanent home helmets, are they?!

Nice tribute by the league to Marleau for breaking the record tonight - he looked a little emotional.  Also, maybe it was just the camera angle, but Gary Bettman did not look very good at all. His face looked pretty sunken in and he's really showing his age. 

I had an exhausting day and was on the road for 6 hours today, but I purposely tried to stay up to watch the opening moments of this game just to see a bit of history. Pretty cool moment. 

The Vegas helmets would look so much better if they were matt. The level of shineyness is just so unnecessary. 

43 minutes ago, eldon said:

The Stars looked like they were wearing space suits tonight. And they blended in with the ice, so horrible.

Who though that this was a good idea?  I guess it doesn't affect the team at an on ice level because of the background, but it can't be easy. 

Yeah I’ve been tracking Marleau for a while now, as far as that record goes.  Hard to believe that the moment finally came.  Of course Howe also played 419 games in the WHL, which is kinda nuts

Marleau was obviously freakishly durable.  I’m guessing he retires after this season...he’s a shell of himself at this point...you can make the argument that he hung on too long (probably in pursuit of the record), but still an impressive accomplishment.  I can’t really think of him as a legit Hall of Famer though.  He did put up 1012 points in 1339 GP from 2001-2018...those were his best seasons...if he’s going to get in, I would guess it would be because of that stretch, plus breaking the all-time GP record.  He’s never won a trophy and wasn’t even a perennial All-Star.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I’ve been tracking Marleau for a while now, as far as that record goes.  Hard to believe that the moment finally came.  Of course Howe also played 419 games in the WHL, which is kinda nuts

Marleau was obviously freakishly durable.  I’m guessing he retires after this season...he’s a shell of himself at this point...you can make the argument that he hung on too long (probably in pursuit of the record), but still an impressive accomplishment.  I can’t really think of him as a legit Hall of Famer though.  He did put up 1012 points in 1339 GP from 2001-2018...those were his best seasons...if he’s going to get in, I would guess it would be because of that stretch, plus breaking the all-time GP record.  He’s never won a trophy and wasn’t even a perennial All-Star.  

I absolutely think he gets in.  Continually getting contracts and playing in that many games is incredible.  No one has ever done that before.  And he scored 500+g/1000+pts.

13 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I absolutely think he gets in.  Continually getting contracts and playing in that many games is incredible.  No one has ever done that before.  And he scored 500+g/1000+pts.

To be clear, I have NOTHING against compilers...to me, to compile means that you had to stick around for a very long time, and had to have a lot of good (key word being "good" as opposed to "very good" or "great") years to accumulate those numbers.

That being said, being somewhere between good and very good for a long chunk of time does not make a Hall Of Famer.  That doesn't mean he wasn't a good player, or that many other players wouldn't kill to have had a career like Marleau's...saying someone isn't a Hall Of Famer doesn't demean his accomplishments.  He had a fine fine career.  

Even his peak years (2001-2018) fall just a little short for me...he averaged 62 points per 82 GP for that time frame.  Does that scream "Hall Of Fame"?  

Also, Pierre Turgeon had over 500 goals and 800 assists in FAR less games...played in a more offensive era of course, but now you can make a compelling argument for him to get in.  I'm guessing this can be done for others who didn't need 1768 games to put up their numbers, and haven't gotten in.  Again, not knocking Marleau, but outside of having been incredibly durable and able to pile up milestone numbers strictly by playing forever and never missing games...is there anything else about him that really stands out that much?  No personal trophies, no championships.  Hell, I'd put Elias in before I'd put Marleau in...and Elias is borderline to me.      

Marleau has 566 career goals and 630 career assists. And the longevity record. He’s getting in. 

Find me another 566 goal scorer not in the Hall. I don’t know if there is another one. 

Pierre Turgeon (who did not have 566 goals but did play way less games) should also be in. 

Edited by mfitz804
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I have NOTHING against compilers...to me, to compile means that you had to stick around for a very long time, and had to have a lot of good (key word being "good" as opposed to "very good" or "great") years to accumulate those numbers.

That being said, being somewhere between good and very good for a long chunk of time does not make a Hall Of Famer.  That doesn't mean he wasn't a good player, or that many other players wouldn't kill to have had a career like Marleau's...saying someone isn't a Hall Of Famer doesn't demean his accomplishments.  He had a fine fine career.  

Even his peak years (2001-2018) fall just a little short for me...he averaged 62 points per 82 GP for that time frame.  Does that scream "Hall Of Fame"?  

Also, Pierre Turgeon had over 500 goals and 800 assists in FAR less games...played in a more offensive era of course, but now you can make a compelling argument for him to get in.  I'm guessing this can be done for others who didn't need 1768 games to put up their numbers, and haven't gotten in.  Again, not knocking Marleau, but outside of having been incredibly durable and able to pile up milestone numbers strictly by playing forever and never missing games...is there anything else about him that really stands out that much?  No personal trophies, no championships.  Hell, I'd put Elias in before I'd put Marleau in...and Elias is borderline to me.      

I think you're nitpicking his scoring.  His numbers aren't amazing but I don't think he is that far out of the point conversation.  But that isn't why he is getting in.  He played more games than anyone else in the league in over 100 years.  His durability numbers are pretty spectacular.  From ages 30-40, 10 season, he didn't miss one game.  And he before that, he missed 31 games since his draft year.  You really don't think that is Hall of Fame worthy playing ability?

"Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general."

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

While I get the point you're making, how many points per game or compiling or any of that is irrelevant. At the end of the day there is no way the HOF or the league is gonna leave someone who broke a Howe record out of the Hall. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Marleau has 566 career goals and 630 career assists. And the longevity record. He’s getting in. 

Find me another 566 goal scorer not in the Hall. I don’t know if there is another one. 

Pierre Turgeon (who did not have 566 goals but did play way less games) should also be in. 

Again, he had to play more games than everyone else to put up those numbers...in most cases, a lot more games.  

NHL All-Time Goals Leaders (quanthockey.com)

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I think you're nitpicking his scoring.  His numbers aren't amazing but I don't think he is that far out of the point conversation.  But that isn't why he is getting in.  He played more games than anyone else in the league in over 100 years.  His durability numbers are pretty spectacular.  From ages 30-40, 10 season, he didn't miss one game.  And he before that, he missed 31 games since his draft year.  You really don't think that is Hall of Fame worthy playing ability?

"Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general."

I've pointed that out a bunch of times...how the guy never ever missed a game in his 30s.  It's a remarkable feat.  But does that make him Hall Of Fame worthy on its own?  Does compiling your way into "milestone" numbers like 500+ G make you a Hall Of Famer?  

Look at the list in the link I provided, and compare his PPG with everyone else in the Top 50 for goals scored, and total points.  The only guy he really compares with (who also isn't in the HOF and likely won't ever be) is Pat Verbeek, who averaged 61.2 points per 82 GP for his career.  Marleau is at 55.5 points per 82 GP for his.  Everyone else on the list was considerably more productive, given the number of games that they all played.  And guys like Roenick, Turgeon, Tkachuk and Verbeek (who all topped 500 G) aren't in (and not saying that they should be, but once a guy like Marleau gets in, then you can start making cases for them).  

I just don't feel like playing in more games than anyone else should trump all else, if you weren't really a Hall Of Famer otherwise.  To be clear, Marleau had a terrific career...I'm not knocking him...you can have a terrific career and still not get into the HOF.  Playing more games than anyone else in the NHL is a special feat.  Doesn't mean he was a truly special player otherwise (apart from being so durable).     

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

While I get the point you're making, how many points per game or compiling or any of that is irrelevant. At the end of the day there is no way the HOF or the league is gonna leave someone who broke a Howe record out of the Hall. 

It will be interesting to see how heavily the voters weigh the GP record.  We'll find out in time.

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Again, he had to play more games than everyone else to put up those numbers...in most cases, a lot more games.  

NHL All-Time Goals Leaders (quanthockey.com)

I've pointed that out a bunch of times...how the guy never ever missed a game in his 30s.  It's a remarkable feat.  But does that make him Hall Of Fame worthy on its own?  Does compiling your way into "milestone" numbers like 500+ G make you a Hall Of Famer?  

So your argument is that he was only the 23rd highest goal scorer in the history of the game because he also was good enough and healthy enough to stick around in the league and play 1700+ games, which is something only 5 players in the history of the game have ever done? That's a pretty weak argument. 

Do I think 500+ goals should get you into the Hall? Maybe not. 23rd highest goal total in the history of the game? Yeah, I think that should be good enough.