2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just glad that for the moment, people have stopped making the “New Jersey is a desirable location because it’s close to New York” argument. History proves that’s not really true. 

Thank you.

I never understood that one. 

17 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is true, it just doesn't apply to sports.

The argument I’m talking about is with regard to players wanting to play for the Devils, not just people in general. Plenty of regular people live in Jersey and commute into the city because it’s cheaper. Here in Staten Island as well. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just glad that for the moment, people have stopped making the “New Jersey is a desirable location because it’s close to New York” argument. History proves that’s not really true. 

That’s because idiot hockey players don’t really get it. NJ is absolutely a desirable location. If you’re a single dude, you can live in Hoboken or Jersey City and live the high life and go in and out of NYC at your leisure. If you’re a married guy with a family, the options are endless. But seeing as how most players don’t see the world past their nose, they don’t understand that. Not to mention the Devils need to be better at emphasizing this kind of thing to these dipsh!t UFA’s. We aren’t dealing with the brightest lights here with most of these guys, so you have to recruit them and educate them on what they don’t know about NJ. Because the sh!t that people who don’t live here don’t know about NJ could fill several books, and quite frankly, I’m sick of these dumbasses thinking NJ is in any way similar to anything undesirable.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s because idiot hockey players don’t really get it. NJ is absolutely a desirable location. If you’re a single dude, you can live in Hoboken or Jersey City and live the high life and go in and out of NYC at your leisure. If you’re a married guy with a family, the options are endless. But seeing as how most players don’t see the world past their nose, they don’t understand that. Not to mention the Devils need to be better at emphasizing this kind of thing to these dipsh!t UFA’s. We aren’t dealing with the brightest lights here with most of these guys, so you have to recruit them and educate them on what they don’t know about NJ. Because the sh!t that people who don’t live here don’t know about NJ could fill several books. 

As I mentioned, sure, there are plenty of reasons to like New Jersey. But no free agent player ever believed it, IMHO. 

I don’t know what the team does or doesn’t do with regard to educating players on this, but I do know that a guy who says “I want to be in New York” wants to be in New York, not next to New York. Once New York is important to a guy, you’ve already lost him. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That’s just ignorance, and the Devils need to do a better job of selling NJ. Period.

I’m not saying it’s not, it probably is. Most of the guys who sign in New York as free agents probably have an idealized version of New York in their heads. It’s like when Americans say they want to live in Paris, even though they have never been there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying it’s not, it probably is. Most of the guys who sign in New York as free agents probably have an idealized version of New York in their heads. It’s like when Americans say they want to live in Paris, even though they have never been there. 

Exactly. And in my opinion, it’s on the team to sell the location. You need to educate these guys. Have them visit. Take them around and show them the area. Granted, that’s harder to do in a Covid world, but the team needs to do better when it comes recruiting and educating guys about what NJ has to offer- which is a ton.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly. And in my opinion, it’s on the team to sell the location. You need to educate these guys. Have them visit. Take them around and show them the area. Granted, that’s harder to do in a Covid world, but the team needs to do better when it comes recruiting and educating guys about what NJ has to offer- which is a ton.

They should have the vets who have lived here a long time show them around...

...hmmm, wait a minute...

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Seattle gets #3. 

Oh gotcha.  I forgot about them.  Do you know what the idea was behind them getting 3?  Was there already some other lottery to determine that?  I kinda feel like they should either be #1, or maybe just exclude them from the draft altogether, since they're not technically in the league yet.  Why not just have their first draft be at the conclusion of their first season in the league, and they can get slotted in order like everyone else?  Seems weird to arbitrarily stick them in to the draft before they've even started play.

38 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I feel like a majority of people who aren't from this area hear "New Jersey" and just picture the dreary Sopranos intro

It's not exactly inaccurate in some places. 

I worked for a company that had a TON of people relocating from around the world to work in the NJ office and, except for a few, the majority lived in those high rent apartments in Hoboken and Jersey City just across the river. I think some players live in those too. Others lived in NYC and actually commute to the office all the way out in Parsippany every day(wtf). 

The lure was 100% NYC and it holds a mystical allure for people who didn't grow up near it. To go along with what Fitz said, I guess it would be like if someone like us moved to the UK and didn't want to say "I have a flat in Luton" vs "I have a flat in London". If they want NYC you've probably already lost them. If money isn't a factor they aren't going to settle and there's also the factor of playing for a major city vs the lesser known, though historically more successful, neighbor. 

I think it's more involved than just location. It's been mentioned before that living in Manhattan vs a 20m path ride + Uber away actually does make a difference.  Then there are locker rooms, training facilities, personal chefs, MSG, connections around the city, not having to own and park a car. I know we don't want to believe it, but from reading and listening to interviews from players, it sounds like the NYR organization has a lot more to offer players than NJD.

16 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I think it's more involved than just location. It's been mentioned before that living in Manhattan vs a 20m path ride + Uber away actually does make a difference.  Then there are locker rooms, training facilities, personal chefs, MSG, connections around the city, not having to own and park a car. I know we don't want to believe it, but from reading and listening to interviews from players, it sounds like the NYR organization has a lot more to offer players than NJD.

I live in Staten Island, we’re very close to Manhattan geographically but it’s still a hassle to make a trip in, so we don’t do it as often as we could. 

As close as NJ is, I bet a lot of players who live in NJ just don’t bother going to NYC. Which is fine, plenty to do in NJ, but like I said, those people who want NY want NY, not NY adjacent. 

Yeah - right or wrong I think guys know what they want when  set out for the city.  I don't think there's any changing their mind with any kind of hey look what we have over here.  I also don't think it works for everybody, some guys can't handle it and I think some guys wouldn't choose to play there at gun point.  However, we can make fun of the bright lights all day, it works enough to give them a huge advantage that very few teams have across the league.

Personally I hate it with a passion, split my entire professional career between upper manhattan and the financial district. I cringed every day, felt filthy just getting in there.  Born and raised in NJ, spend a few months in NC every year the last 20 years now but don't see leaving NJ.  

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

They sped up their rebuild because 2 players that are Hart Trophy and Norris Trophy candidates chose to go there. 

It sure helped but when they sent that letter to the fans saying they'd start retooling and all. They were willing to take a step back in order to take 2 steps forward. That's the true first step.

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's not exactly inaccurate in some places. 

I worked for a company that had a TON of people relocating from around the world to work in the NJ office and, except for a few, the majority lived in those high rent apartments in Hoboken and Jersey City just across the river. I think some players live in those too. Others lived in NYC and actually commute to the office all the way out in Parsippany every day(wtf). 

The lure was 100% NYC and it holds a mystical allure for people who didn't grow up near it. To go along with what Fitz said, I guess it would be like if someone like us moved to the UK and didn't want to say "I have a flat in Luton" vs "I have a flat in London". If they want NYC you've probably already lost them. If money isn't a factor they aren't going to settle and there's also the factor of playing for a major city vs the lesser known, though historically more successful, neighbor. 

Yeah you guys are right, there's a lot of that. And i mean i 100% get it. I mean, say i didnt grow up a Devils fans. I'd look at the Rangers and see an original 6 team, Gretzky played there, they play in THE world most famous arena, they have celebrities going to their games. And as for NY itself... i mean... there's just SO much about NY when you're not from there that's so attractive. NY and LA are simply the 2 big locations that you dream of working there in the US based on all you're fed. Like nobody dream of moving to canada and move to Winnipeg lol They likely want MTL or Toronto. Not many are like "well Toronto is the big deal but Ottawa is a bit cheaper and pretty close". Plus well, all the pop culture references, King Kong, the ghostbusters, the teenage mutant ninja turtles, Taxi Driver, Home Alone 2 etc etc then the concerts and everything. 

And to be honest even if the Devils have been better historically. Joining a team that has a great history might work for original 6 teams like MTL or wtv. But younger players never saw that, the players in the draft this were were born the last year we won a cup lol 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Plus well, all the pop culture references, King Kong, the ghostbusters, the teenage mutant ninja turtles, Taxi Driver, Home Alone 2 etc

Combine all of those and you get a totally accurate picture of New York.