2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

1991 saw the Devils draft Niedermayer AND land Scott Stevens as compensation.  Also landed Stephane Richer.  For some reason that's the one that's jumping out at me as a "Holy Sh!t" kind of offseason.  But yeah, can't think of any offhand that would rival a Tkachuk, Coleman, and Hamilton off-season.

il_570xN.1148420917_iwbc.jpg

If you wanted to take the summer of 1991 a step further, adding Stevens indirectly helped us land Parise in the draft 12 years later.  We were able to swap picks with St Louis in 2003 from 30 to 24 for tampering with Stevens and then we traded up to 17 from there.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

What you doing Edmonton? There is speculation that this is opening Chicago up to go for Eichel

(Friedman meant Keith to Edm)

This is absolutely unbelievable.  I cannot believe Edmonton is sending a pick BACK, and that Chicago isn't retaining at all.

I mean this just lunacy.  What the hell are they thinking?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

This is absolutely unbelievable.  I cannot believe Edmonton is sending a pick BACK, and that Chicago isn't retaining at all.

And, Keith turns 38 this week and has two years left on his deal. This trade is absolute sorcery by Chicago. 

Traded after 16 years with the same club too. Watch him do a Cory Crawford next. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

exactly what im thinking. you dont make that deal and not get them to retain salary

Just now, MB3 said:

You guys want a pie in the sky off-season idea? If the Avs can’t agree with Landeskog... just go nuts. Give him a 7 year 77 million dollar contract, making him solidly overpaid by ~3m per year but again, who gives a flying fvck about our cap? 

A true leader, senior voice in the locker room full of kids and he’ll be on the good-side of his age-35 season for all 7 years.

That’s how you weaponize cap space. 

Yup. 

27 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You guys want a pie in the sky off-season idea? If the Avs can’t agree with Landeskog... just go nuts. Give him a 7 year 77 million dollar contract, making him solidly overpaid by ~3m per year but again, who gives a flying fvck about our cap? 

A true leader, senior voice in the locker room full of kids and he’ll be on the good-side of his age-35 season for all 7 years.

I'm all for that.  Like you said, who gives a fvck if we overpay, and Landeskog still have plenty of good years left.  He's the type of guy we need - veteran forward who produces. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I don’t disagree whatsoever, but you know and I know offer sheets NEVER happen, and they certainly never happen with us. But I give you credit for thinking outside the box lol 

48 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I agree that it’s unlikely, but Colorado has a cap crunch and soon needs to pay several of their key pieces. 

If Colorado can’t make it work and only offers something like 8/54 and the Devils offer 7/77? You don’t think an extra twenty million dollars changes someone’s mind?

Yeah so you want US to overpay for him and be in the same cap crunch in a few years when our guys are signing their bigger contracts and ready to compete? I like him but personally not giving 11m a year to a dude who only scored over 30 goals once on a stacked team.

I think people underestimate how fast you can get in serious cap hell if you don't spend wisely. Vegas got in cap hell and had to trade guys away literally years after becoming a team and starting from scratch

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1