2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Stamkos to LTIR after he gets surgery in September, Johnson to Seattle - problem solved.

We do this every year and they always manage to find a way and ice an elite team.  Not trying to attack you personally, but just.. it's a farce. 

Yup, the old “salary cap hell” is a fallacy. It never happens and when it sort of does, they trade Marcus Johansson, not anything earth shattering. 

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Stamkos to LTIR after he gets surgery in September, Johnson to Seattle - problem solved.

We do this every year and they always manage to find a way and ice an elite team.  Not trying to attack you personally, but just.. it's a farce. 

I wasn't saying anything other than that I am interested to see how they handle this.  I'm always fascinated by how GMs decide to handle roster and cap decisions.   

I don't think that first sentence is as easy and you make it seem, especially with a full length season (LTIR).      

• Like 1

Seattle won’t take Tyler Johnson off their hands unless it comes with a zillion draft picks that Tampa doesn’t really have.

I do think their roster will look a lot different next year. They’re not going to play the entire season with Stamkos on LTIR and they’ve got guys to pay and spots to fill.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That would be disastrous for Hall. He needs to stay in Boston. He’s a perfect fit there.

It wouldn’t surprise me. He lives in Toronto and probably signed with Buffalo because of its proximity to Toronto. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. He lives in Toronto and probably signed with Buffalo because of its proximity to Toronto. 

If he lives in Toronto, that’s enough reason right there to not wanna play for the Leafs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If he lives in Toronto, that’s enough reason right there to not wanna play for the Leafs.

Imagine having Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hall, and Nylander all on one team and STILL winning nothing…

I mean I guess they pretty much did that this year minus the Hall part, but still…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Imagine having Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hall, and Nylander all on one team and STILL winning nothing…

I mean I guess they pretty much did that this year minus the Hall part, but still…

I don't know how they will fit Hall (even at a reduced AAV from what he is currently making) and all of those other players under the cap.  Unless they intend on bringing in Hall and trading away Marner or Nylander to pickup help on D or future assets, it doesn't make sense. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That team needs defense and they are trying to sign Hall. They don’t need Hall. Not even a little bit. I’m becoming more convinced every day that Shanny and Dubas have no idea what they’re doing. 

8 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't know how they will fit Hall (even at a reduced AAV from what he is currently making) and all of those other players under the cap.  Unless they intend on bringing in Hall and trading away Marner or Nylander to pickup help on D or future assets, it doesn't make sense. 

They always find a way. 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:40 AM, MB3 said:

What do you guys think it would take to acquire Tkachuk? He’s got one year left before he’s a RFA expecting a BIG time contract and the Devils can obviously afford that. 

It probably starts with Holtz, right? Does Holtz + Islanders 1st + B-level prospect get it done? 

I get the feeling they'd want the 4th pick overall.  I think Guadana's scenario is pretty fair.

I don't have tons to base this on (outside of Holtz not really scoring all the much to date, but doesn't turn 20 until January 2022), but I get the feeling the time to deal Holtz might be now...I just have this feeling he's not going to be anything special.  And Tkachuk is a legit NHLer about to enter his prime years. 

Is he actually available?   

I also have zero problem trading Holtz for an NHL star player in his prime who is also still an RFA at the end of his next contract. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling they'd want the 4th pick overall.  I think Guadana's scenario is pretty fair.

I don't have tons to base this on (outside of Holtz not really scoring all the much to date, but doesn't turn 20 until January 2022), but I get the feeling the time to deal Holtz might be now...I just have this feeling he's not going to be anything special.  And Tkachuk is a legit NHLer about to enter his prime years. 

Is he actually available?   

There have been reports he wants out of Calgary, so he may be. Apparently he wants to go to St. Louis, because home. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

There have been reports he wants out of Calgary, so he may be. Apparently he wants to go to St. Louis, because home. 

Well Marty used to work in St. Louis and has a home there, so isn’t it kind of the same if he plays in New Jersey?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Literally everyone should be on board with packaging Holtz for Tkachuk. The question is how much more would it take. 

Indeed. Holtz, Islanders 1st, and what?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Literally everyone should be on board with packaging Holtz for Tkachuk. The question is how much more would it take. 

It would be something like #4, Holtz, Nolan Foote, and one of Okhotyuk/Bahl/Walsh. I’m guessing there, but I think I may be close on the value lol

Edited by MadDog2020

I just feel like we should use that #4 pick rather than trading it. Not sure why, probably not the way to look at it, more of a gut feeling. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I just feel like we should use that #4 pick rather than trading it. Not sure why, probably not the way to look at it, more of a gut feeling. 

I agree. But if we trade for a young cornerstone type of player, #4 is our most tradeable asset. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It would be something like Holtz, #4, Nolan Foote, and one of Okhotyuk/Bahl/Walsh. I’m guessing there, but I think I may be close on the value lol

Yeah sounds about right...sounds like a lot at first, but the Devils are getting the only proven quantity in the deal.  Gotta give to get.  Tkachuk should give the Devils 6-7 years of solid production. 

I'll add that I think in your scenario, the Devils are giving up enough to get a couple of mid-round picks back...say a 2nd in this year's draft, a 3rd in next year's...something like that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree. But if we trade for a young cornerstone type of player, #4 is our most tradeable asset. 

Yep I think you'd have to do it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah sounds about right...sounds like a lot at first, but the Devils are getting the only proven quantity in the deal.  Gotta give to get.  Tkachuk should give the Devils 6-7 years of solid production. 

I'll add that I think in your scenario, the Devils are giving up enough to get a couple of mid-round picks back...say a 2nd in this year's draft, a 3rd in next year's...something like that.

The thing I love about Tkachuk is that he is like Pep in that he’s the type of player that you love when he’s on your team, and you absolutely loathe if he’s on any other team. He would give Rag and Flyer fans hives. And he scores, so he’s basically Brad Marchand. THAT is what this team needs- scoring and sandpaper. Matthew Tkachuk brings both. One-stop shop. It would be amazing to acquire him, which is probably why it will never happen lol

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

THAT is what this team needs- scoring and sandpaper. 

I thought it was sandpaper and balls, which still sounds quite uncomfortable yet exfoliating. 

• Haha 1