GDT1: Bruins @ Devils 1/14/2021 7PM Season Opener!

Crisis

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is easily the most apathetic I've ever been since being a Devils fan because I'm completely over sports without fans. I can't believe it's been 310 days since attending the last home game/game in general that the Devils played on March 10th vs Pittsburgh, it feels like years ago. 

That being said I'm excited for the Hughes hat trick tonight! 

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

That has nothing to do with my apathy other than the fact that not being able to go to games doesn't help the enthusiasm level.  As far as actually watching the games who cares about the empty stands - if that affects you, turn on Matt and Chico on the radio - crowd optics don't matter there.

This'll be the first home opener I'm not at since like 2003 and things just seem as helpless as they've ever been going into a season.  Yeah I know the party line it's better to lose with younger players than older players, that doesn't wash with me (particularly with a couple of our key younger players still on the shelf/in limbo)...if anything it's worse because you're hoping these younger players can be part of the solution and having their teeth kicked in playing a brutal division isn't going to help jack.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is easily the most apathetic I've ever been since being a Devils fan because I'm completely over sports without fans. I can't believe it's been 310 days since attending the last home game/game in general that the Devils played on March 10th vs Pittsburgh, it feels like years ago. 

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Same. Hoping they do well, grow as a team, all the young guys improve, suck less.

Other than that I'm invested a fraction of norm. 

Thought I would enjoy watching a few games last night and couldn't have been less interested which in the past would of never been the case. I found myself spending more time being distracted and annoyed by the fake crowd noise, ads around the bottom of the glass ( I get why they're doing it) etc.  The playoffs were barely barely ok to me without crowds, regular season - I would rather watch a high school game in person. Tough times with much bigger problems going on in the world.

For those that are still 100% in - enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't share your apathy, but going to as many games as possible with my daughter had really become ingrained...especially over the last few seasons, as "school nights" became less and less of an issue.  I'm with you in that I can't believe how long it's been...and sadly, how long it will continue to be.  From the drive up to the event itself, we did so much bonding...lots of conversation, covering so many topics.  Obviously we can still do that in my basement (for now, anyway), but I miss the whole experience of driving up, walking into the arena, just being there to watch my team play some hockey...I can't wait to be able to actually take her to a game again.  Someday...

I don't know if it's because i've watched the Devils on TV my whole life since i live in Canada where there's no NHL team.

But for me not having fans in the stand is such a minuscule factor. The only way its affecting me is cause i feel bad for the players not able to use that to their advantage.

Sure it's different but what is really important to me is just seeing the boys play and all.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't know if it's because i've watched the Devils on TV my whole life since i live in Canada where there's no NHL team.

But for me not having fans in the stand is such a minuscule factor. The only way its affecting me is cause i feel bad for the players not able to use that to their advantage.

Sure it's different but what is really important to me is just seeing the boys play and all.

It didn't affect me at all either. That's not what I am there for. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As far as actually watching the games who cares about the empty stands. 

Personally for me, I do. There's no energy in the building, there's no reactions of a crowd going wild after a big goal. There's no fans trying to get louder to try to motivate a late tying goal. I almost think it's the equivalent of if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Sure we care on here and people are watching but it sure doesn't feel right. 

A positive I've taken out of this is that at least my two teams(Red Bulls as well) didn't win anything last year and most likely won't this year as well so it hasn't felt like I've missed anything.

It would be extremely bitter sweet to win a championship in circumstances like this, hell we aren't very far off from 20 years since our last Cup in 2003, that is a lottttttt of fans whether simply new to hockey or from the current fans ages of like 25-28 and under who were simply too young to even remember or weren't even born yet to witness that experience. 

There are very few things in sports as electric as the atmosphere of a big time hockey game. I simply miss that aspect, I'm not saying people shouldn't be watching cause there's no fans but personally for me its a part of the entire experience. 

I don't mean to be a downer and I definitely won't be commenting on every game day thread about it but with it being the first home opener ever with no fans just wanted to ramble a bit. I simply miss hockey as it was instead of it now just reminding me how sh!t the state of the world is right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

haven't been paying attention Butcher hurt/sick/outta talent?

He was relatively good during his first season... and since that...  Ultra-Meh. Everyone playing tonight to this place is just there while waiting Vats !