GDT2: Saturday Afternoon hockey Featuring Bruins@ Devils 1 PM

Devs3cups

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Boqvist I'm kind of neutral about him at this point. I don't remember seeing him make very bad decisions or anything. Seemed pretty smooth out there and had a few good looks but nothing that stood out too much

he has A LOT of problems to play on boards. Last year, he tried not to play on boards at all, so this is progress.

29 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Growing up in russian outback as a kid, we watched our mouth. As I understood, this forum is full of your best friends.

Yeah we don’t do that in New York. 

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Boqvist I'm kind of neutral about him at this point. I don't remember seeing him make very bad decisions or anything. Seemed pretty smooth out there and had a few good looks but nothing that stood out too much

That pretty much sums up his two games. I think he will be an ok NHL player but I think that’s about it. 

16 minutes ago, lazer said:

wood trys too hard and hughes not enough and thats the season imo

If you think Hughes isn’t trying hard enough...I have no idea what the hell you’re watching right now.

• Like 4

Imo Palmieri needs to step it up the most. The whole Goose-Zacha-Johnsson line has been a little underwhelming too. 

Pretty impressed with the Kuokonnen-McLeod-Bastian line all things considered. Didn’t expect much out of them but they’re working hard.

I think the Boqvist-Zajac-Wood line is pretty par for the course for me.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If you think Hughes isn’t trying hard enough...I have no idea what the hell you’re watching right now.

Yeah, that’s just straight up nonsense. His compete level has been extremely high. He’s doing things (throwing checks in the corners, making nice defensive plays with his stick) we did not see last year. 

If you want to knock his lack of finish ok that’s fair. His slap shot is still pretty bad (he really should just stick with his wrist shot), but that has nothing to do with “not trying hard enough.”

I swear, the silly sh!t you see people say on the internet...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The next thing I want to see is if he can keep that level of effort going, especially once Nico and Bratt are back. Hopefully he’s not just being aggressive because he knows some of the burden for what Nico and Bratt would be contributing falls on him. I don’t think it’s the case, but that is what I will be watching for when those guys return. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

So far the only thing he really did all wrong was the shootout attempt. That was brutal. 

Well those shootouts are tricky cause...

if you come in smooth and that the goalie bites and that you can smoothly and calmly score... you look like a fvcking stud who could do this in your sleep and everyone loses their sh!t.

But if you miss it looks like you barely tried. And everyone loses their sh!t.

its a very fine line lol

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well those shootouts are tricky cause...

if you come in smooth and that the goalie bites and that you can smoothly and calmly score... you look like a fvcking stud who could do this in your sleep and everyone loses their sh!t.

But if you miss it looks like you barely tried. And everyone loses their sh!t.

its a very fine line lol

Well I can’t say he didn’t try. I can say he didn’t shoot lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The next thing I want to see is if he can keep that level of effort going, especially once Nico and Bratt are back. Hopefully he’s not just being aggressive because he knows some of the burden for what Nico and Bratt would be contributing falls on him. I don’t think it’s the case, but that is what I will be watching for when those guys return. 

I feel like he’s been on a mission since having a rough first year in the NHL...starting with putting on the muscle.  I’m definitely not worried about him keeping up the effort once missing bodies start coming back into the lineup.  If I’m worried about anything with Jack, it’s if he’s not getting results after a while, and starts getting frustrated...but hopefully that won’t happen.  He looks a whole lot better in the early going.

Last year watching Hughes i remember saying that i wish he could be playing with confidence like Barzal was. Just skating around with the puck waiting to make the right decision and just looking solid. I knew it would come with time.

So far this year he's reaaallly close to that now. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not hard enough lol. 

Well he's no Quenneville we know that

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Last year watching Hughes i remember saying that i wish he could be playing with confidence like Barzal was. Just skating around with the puck waiting to make the right decision and just looking solid. I knew it would come with time.

So far this year he's reaaallly close to that now. 

Agreed. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well he's no Quenneville we know that

He hasn’t “put himself out there” like Q. 

• Shocking 1

7 hours ago, lazer said:

what about the shorty against at the end of the 2nd?

You wanna set up shop on your "Hughes isn't trying hard enough" island, go right ahead; there was blame to go around on the shorty.  

Re:  this absurd narrative, no one agrees with you.

9 hours ago, lazer said:

what about the shorty against at the end of the 2nd?

It wasn’t a great play. I wouldn’t say you have to play a perfect game to say you’re trying hard enough. If you expect perfection from a 19 year old with less than 70 games played, you’ll almost never be happy. 

Hughes made a bad play in the corner trying to make that pass, but that's going to happen from time to time with players like Hughes that try to make creative plays. The real piss poor effort and mistake-- ratface was able to carry the puck all the way from the corner in the B's zone and pass it right into the slot and made Palms and PK look like they belonged on the RWJ Barnabus Heath Hockey House pee-wee Devils ice brought to you by NJ lottery, anything can happen in Jersey(including that pathetic shorthanded sh!t). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hughes made a bad play in the corner trying to make that pass, but that's going to happen from time to time with players like Hughes that try to make creative plays. The real piss poor effort and mistake-- ratface was able to carry the puck all the way from the corner in the B's zone and pass it right into the slot and made Palms and PK look like they belonged on the RWJ Barnabus Heath Hockey House pee-wee Devils ice brought to you by NJ lottery, anything can happen in Jersey(including that pathetic shorthanded sh!t). 

Yeah not to pile on that other guy, but:

If your takeaway from that play is "Jack doesn't try hard enough" I don't really know what to tell you.  You've got two veterans back to prevent any sort of odd-man break.  

Then you've got Palmieri who's probably the laziest forward on our roster without the puck completely whiff on playing any sort of defense on Marchand, which puts Subban in an awkward position in no-man's land.

You could perhaps make a comment about Jack's decision making there, but like @NJDevils1214 said, this is the price you sometimes pay for a player who makes really, really creative plays.