GDT3: *BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH* Edition - Devils @ Rangers - 7 PM - MSG, MSG+

Devs3cups

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am as well, although Tennyson has not looked bad at all. If I were taking someone out to slot Butcher in, at this point it’d be Kulikov or Murray (subject to my never remembering which side which defensemen play on). 

Definitely not Murray. He’s been a nice steady presence back there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m kind of surprised he’s playing Tennyson over Butcher tbh. 

Physicality. Something Butcher is not known for. You need to have some (D) grit in the line up. Butcher is not very good in the D zone

I don't care if it got sloppy last night, fvck that felt good.

Jack was on fire and you can see him blossoming into the star we drafted him to be. It can't be overstated how big of a piece Blackwood is to this team moving forward, he himself is blossoming into one of the best at his position in the league.

Smith coming right into the NHL and continuing to contribute, just get that bag of bricks Tennyson off his pair and he'll be golden.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“Don’t worry about our 29 year old winger making 4.5m. He’ll be carried by Nico again when Nico’s healthy. You really should focus on how our $2m 23 year old is playing *with* those two deadweights, and then with Bastian and Kuokkonen.”

Now you fvckers know why I stan Zacha so much? This reads like fvcking satire lol.

Palms popped in 25 goals in 65 GP last season...about his typical pace as Devil...he has something called a TRACK RECORD (which Zacha has yet to establish)...when you have one of those, yeah, that means such a player can be afforded some leeway and patience.  So because you have an irrational hatred towards Palms, I should be destroying him after three games?  Assume that the guy who could at least be counted on for some goals every single season here is finished, or will never get it going all season?  

Re:  Zacha, since there's been some talk on here about Goose's early struggles, I thought that Cordell's take was interesting...if anything, it reiterates one of my previous posts, where I pointed out that I like when players are put in a reasonable position to succeed.  Unfortunately, due to Nico being out, Zacha is being asked to do more than he should at the moment, and Cordell is pointing out how that's not going to work out.  Zacha should be a 3C and I think he may become a pretty good one...jury is still out on that.

So now Goose and Johnsson are "deadweights"?  Or are they being dragged down by a deadweight?  It's a small sample, but Cordell has put together enough evidence that it could be the latter.  But again, only three games, and Zacha is being asked to do more than he's capable.   

And again, unlike you with Palms, I'm not some irrational Zacha-killer.  Like I said, once Nico is back, make Zacha a 3C, and if he becomes a solid intangibles player, I won't need him to be much more than a pitch-in guy offensively.  I still think that there's a place for him on this team.  It just kinda sucks that he's not really capable of filling in on higher lines.  But obviously Zacha has limitations.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think we all just need to step back and look at the fact that the team is playing generally well, we're only 3 games in, and we had exactly 0 preseason games to shake off the rust.  Guys will find their feet, and some won't. It's still to early to tell.

Agree.  I think most of us would've expected two, maybe three points right now.  Thrilled with five.  

Wood and Hughes getting off to hot starts, Smith looking pretty good early, and Blackwood stopping seemingly every puck is helping to cover up for some deficiencies (not like we didn't know there would be some).  Ideally, when some guys inevitably cool off, others step up (and in the case of Bratt, Nico and Vats, step in).  I just think it's too early (like you do) to jump on certain guys, especially those who've shown something as recently as last season.  Actually, when you think about it, it's kinda nice that the team is off to a 2-0-1 start, with some guys not here, and others breaking out of the gate slowly.  

Also, can we talk about the start Zajac is off to? He only has the one goal so far, but his on-ice results so far have been fantastic to start the season if advanced stats are your thing, his line as a whole has been great as well.

Travis Zajac, 5v5:
63.64 CF%
65.12 FF%
68.25 xGF%

All while starting just 20% of his faceoffs in the offensive zone. If he sustains this for a full season I could see Trav getting some love from the analytics community for a Selke nomination.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nope, Marc has only ever played for the Rangers and Detroit and Jordan only Pittsburgh and Carolina. 

Howe and his sons did though...

https://www.nhl.com/news/gordie-howe-skates-on-same-line-as-sons/c-287467494

I saw them play together on one line in the first Hockey game I ever attended. This was in Houston in the 70s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And if they don't get their crap together after the 6 games...what then?  Are you benching one of both of them?  For who?  

I think this is a case of being patient and giving both of them the benefit of the doubt...though some are very quick to jump on him, Palms does have a solid track record of goal-scoring here (even though he's streaky), and Gusev looked better and better as last season wore on (30 points over his last 37 GP).  Keep in mind that one or both might be involved in deadline deals too...not going to do their value any good to prematurely bench them, and if Fitz decides that he's moving on from one or both, we'd obviously like to see him get as much as he possibly can.  For every player like Hughes who's come out of the gates flying, there's going to be other guys who without the benefit of a usual training camp/preseason are going to look off for a while...and in Palms' case, a guy he's very comfortable playing next to in Nico isn't in the lineup.  Given the general state of the team and the expectations this season (fast start be damned), I gotta give those two a lot more than six games to figure things out.

That being said, no arguments as to their performance...neither has looked good so far.  But still very early.

I mean more as a fan, I’ll really start bitching after 6...

As a coach you have to play them cause you have to trust they’ll break out of it. They have to turn it around or the choice will eventually really be out of Ruff’s hands and Palms, Goose or both will have to be swapped for something.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Could happen. We do tend to see backups quite a bit. 

Few things that, as devils fans, tend to see quite a bit.

- Opposing team's coaches playing goalies against their old team cause it's extra motivation

- Schneider giving up terrible terrible goals constantly

- Opposing teams playing their backups goalies against us

- Us making look backup goalies look like they were Hasek in his prime

So who knows what's happening tomorrow. WHO ?!?!

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Few things that, as devils fans, tend to see quite a bit.

- Opposing team's coaches playing goalies against their old team cause it's extra motivation

- Schneider giving up terrible terrible goals constantly

- Opposing teams playing their backups goalies against us

- Us making look backup goalies look like they were Hasek in his prime

So who knows what's happening tomorrow. WHO ?!?!

This could lead to a total paradox

back to the future great scott GIF

• Haha 3

On 1/20/2021 at 3:19 PM, eaglejelly said:

I saw them play together on one line in the first Hockey game I ever attended. This was in Houston in the 70s

Met the great Gordie as well as Mark. Look at my pic............Gordie was at my son's soccer game several years ago. Couldn't have been any nicer

On 1/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, T0asterleav1ns said:

I am glad someone else noticed this as its been my one complaint about Ruff so far. It was obviously offside and should have been challenged. 

We are fortunate it didn't end up costing any points. 

Onside and wasn't even close as i mentioned up above.