GDT3: *BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH* Edition - Devils @ Rangers - 7 PM - MSG, MSG+

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, that’s kind of what I was referring to. The color is part of their identity. I think that blue is actually Prudential’s color, but is the brand identifiable with that color? I mean, the logo is in white on the black helmets so they can’t be too concerned. To use your example, if it were McDonalds it’d be Golden Arches on either color helmet. 

Yeah plus if you're going to drop your logo somewhere. You're selling exposure and visibility. Not all businesses would be fine with having it blending in.

i found the brand standards and yeah. The main colors to use on a pale background are either that blue or a dark blue.

https://edfaherty.myportfolio.com/pru-playbook-design-system-reference-site

• Like 1
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game 3 for the boys tonight. After great performances vs. the bruins, WE WANT MORE!!! NHL.com Preview: https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/njd-vs-nyr/2021/01/19/2020020046   LGD!!!

I mean, a GDT full of memes? How can you not like that?? Let's beat these fvcking guys. Let's do it hard. Let's shut out Kakko and that new French sounding guy with the girl's first name. And let

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I also made a comment about Hughes’ linemates last year, that a really good player doesn’t play worse because of bad linemates, he makes bad linemates look better. 

Miles Wood. 

Idk, I’m not sure anyone could elevate the corpse of Wayne Simmonds...

at least not without some type of sorcery lol

• Haha 2

I think if it were black on white, it would be more prominent. And do we want it to be more prominent?

Personally, I haven’t been looking for them and I have found the helmet logos barely noticeable, no more so than a CCM or Cooper logo. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Idk, I’m not sure anyone could elevate the corpse of Wayne Simmonds...

at least not without some type of sorcery lol

That particular corpse outscored Jack,  so maybe we’re both wrong. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah plus if you're going to drop your logo somewhere. You're selling exposure and visibility. Not all businesses would be fine with having it blending in.

i found the brand standards and yeah. The main colors to use on a pale background are either that blue or a dark blue.

https://edfaherty.myportfolio.com/pru-playbook-design-system-reference-site

Yeah they would have to get them to agree to it which considering the Devils relationship with them I don't think it would be too hard. On that Tigres Mexican soccer team picture I posted they got all the companies to agree to it before making the colors match. 

It is what it is, Hughes looked good scoring in it either way lol

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That particular corpse outscored Jack,  so maybe we’re both wrong. 

He’s only had 1 point in 11 GP since leaving so maybe it was Jack. :P

Anyway I really love this celly

image.gif.9cc3a0f089eafef83c932dab8af27e7f.gif

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm very happy that Lafrenière didn't get his first NHL goal against us. 

I also love that i legit didn't notice him at all during the game. I heard his name twice but don't even remember him doing anything.

Kakko didn’t do much either, which was also nice.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Before anyone respond to this and because sarcasm is hard to read online.

Are you serious ? 

I’m curious why you think that’s even debatable. 

It was significantly more damaging to the New Jersey Devils that we took McLeod, who looks like he’ll never be an actual NHL player, over Charlie McAvoy who will probably be the next captain of the Boston Bruins. 

It hurts that we took Zacha over Provorov, but at least Zacha is a reliable 3rd line center and our best penalty killer by a country mile. 

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It was significantly more damaging to the New Jersey Devils that we took McLeod, who looks like he’ll never be an actual NHL player, over Charlie McAvoy who will probably be the next captain of the Boston Bruins. 

It hurts that we took Zacha over Provorov, but at least Zacha is a reliable 3rd line center and our best penalty killer by a country mile. 

I mean, McLeod, while a first rounder, was never a guy anyone had much hope would be a top six guy. It was obviously a mistake to draft him over McAvoy, no one with more more than five active brain cells would ever argue that. But so far this year, he actually has looked like an NHL player, capably centering the fourth line. Are you looking to draft a fourth line center in the first round? Uhhhh, of course not. But if he turns out to be a contributor- cool. You need good fourth liners. And Bastian was a second round pick, so I don’t know why you included him earlier. You’d be happy to pull a solid fourth line contributor with a second round pick. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Overall thoughts; 

1. The defense & PK will get sooooo much better when Vatanen is playing. 

2. The PK will get sooooooooo much better when Nico is playing. So will the Devils; we miss him pretty tremendously. There’s a lot to not like about the Devils roster as-is, but there aren’t many teams with an exciting center duo quite like Hughes/Nico. 

3. Speaking of Hughes; nothing really needs to be said other than “he was dominant.” Legitimately dominant with the puck. He’s so fast, his edgework is so outstanding, and he is only going to get better. 

4. Kyle Palmieri is awful. He’s not just “aw man, he’s off to a rough start.” He’s actively terrible. Kyle Palmieri on a penalty kill makes me want to gouge my eyes out. If there’s a team out there that thinks he can still pot 30 and will give is a 2nd, please god take that trade. I loved him his first few years here but his game has just gotten stagnant & regressed; he’s a late-career Michael Ryder. Would love to see Johnsson, who is also off to a rough start, get a chance with Hughes when the boys are fully healthy. Johnsson-Hughes-Sharangovic and Bratt-Nico-Gusev is a pretty great top-6.

5. On Gusev; he’s gotta get going. He looks shy and timid and out of place. Hopefully he snaps out of that soon, I really do like him.

6. Sharangovich had a bad game, but that’ll happen. He did draw a tripping penalty; but he didn’t do much offensively and he turned it over a few too many times. Hopefully Ruff doesn’t have a quick hook. 

7. MacKenzie Blackwood is probably the leading candidate for the Vezina so far. What a fabulous goalie he is. Cerebral, athletic, and young. MB in net for new jersey just feels right. 

8. Everyone needs to be cheering for Vancouver. It’s second nature as Devils fans to worry about your stars leaving; if Vancouver has a bad year and finds themself able to trade up to draft Luke Hughes, it’ll be agony waiting for the inevitable. I think the best case scenario for this devils team is to barely miss the playoffs and win the lottery for Luke. 

9. I’ll just say this; thank god Dan Quinn is the rangers head coach. I have no idea what the fvck he’s doing with Kakko; giving him 3rd line checking duties is just ruining the kids development. He looks so painfully mediocre, and I really think he’s got the potential to be the best player on the Rangers. This is going to sound ludicrous, but don’t be shocked if the Rangers try to trade him for a top-tier young defenseman or centerman; their wings are clogged up for the foreseeable future and it’s becoming more and more obvious that 11 minutes of 3rd line hockey a game isn’t going to grow the kid. Hope he ruins LaFreniere, too. 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, McLeod, while a first rounder, was never a guy anyone had much hope would be a top six guy. It was obviously a mistake to draft him over McAvoy, no one with more more than five active brain cells would ever argue that. But so far this year, he actually has looked like an NHL player, capably centering the fourth line. Are you looking to draft a fourth line center in the first round? Uhhhh, of course not. But if he turns out to be a contributor- cool. You need good fourth liners. And Bastian was a second round pick, so I don’t know why you included him earlier. You’d be happy to pull a solid fourth line contributor with a second round pick. 

I think you’re dramatically overestimating the difference between a 6th overall pick and a 12th overall pick. 

“Not really expecting to be a top-6 guy”? You don’t draft someone in the top half of the first round and say “maaaaan i hope he anchors my fourth line when our first line center is injured.” 

McLeod over McAvoy hurts just as much (and I am arguing more) than Zacha over Provorov. Zacha is not even a year older than McLeod and contributes significantly more. 

EDIT: And i added Bastian to the mix because I hate that the Devils got cute and drafted our eventual-bust of a first round pick’s best friend in the second round, over guys like Sam Girard, Carter Hart, and Ryan Lindgren (not to mention Adam Fox or Victor Mete)

Edited by MB3
4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“Not really expecting to be a top-6 guy”? You don’t draft someone in the top half of the first round and say “maaaaan i hope he anchors my fourth line when our first line center is injured.”

This is what pretty much everyone said the day we drafted him. It wasn’t a good pick. I’m not arguing that at all. Thankfully we got Nico the following year and Jack two years after that, or McLeod might be at the top of the depth chart at center, which would be a nightmare lol.

Edited by MadDog2020
38 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’ve been very down on McLeod since they drafted him, but he looks like an NHL player to me (for the first time) this season. Even if it’s only as a 4th liner. 

• Like 2

Anyway, fvck McAvoy. I think Ty Smith might end up being even better than some of us had hoped. It feels great to finally have a young defensive prospect to actually be excited about. Obviously it’s an extremely small sample size, but it seems like not rushing him was absolutely the right call. They brought him up at exactly the right time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MB3 said:

4. Kyle Palmieri is awful. He’s not just “aw man, he’s off to a rough start.” He’s actively terrible. Kyle Palmieri on a penalty kill makes me want to gouge my eyes out. If there’s a team out there that thinks he can still pot 30 and will give is a 2nd, please god take that trade. I loved him his first few years here but his game has just gotten stagnant & regressed; he’s a late-career Michael Ryder. Would love to see Johnsson, who is also off to a rough start, get a chance with Hughes when the boys are fully healthy. Johnsson-Hughes-Sharangovic and Bratt-Nico-Gusev is a pretty great top-6

I think the 10 months off from playing actual games hurt him the most. 

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Seems that way. Gusev, too. And he was playing really well right before the shutdown. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

In Palms’ case, not having Nico on his line probably isn’t helping much either.

I’m not worried about him and Goose just yet.  Good news of course is that the Devils have still managed to bank five out of six points without getting all that much from either of them (and Palms at least has a couple of assists).

• Like 1

we all have these would should coulda moments. We all know what scouting staff shoulda focused on, but although the B's hit a home run w/ MacAvoy, the year before they had 3 1st rounders early in the 1st and to Zboril, Debrusk, & Senyshyn (Debrusk being the only sure-fire NHL'er)  Also the B's had another 1st round pick in MacAvoy draft, and they took Trent Frederick? All B's fans don't understand why he's up playing in NHL team. Everybody misses once in while.

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

I think you’re dramatically overestimating the difference between a 6th overall pick and a 12th overall pick. 

I have two things to add:

1) I managed to forget that we used a 12th pick on Michael Fvcking McLeod. I did not need to be reminded. 

2) Debating who we should have drafted 5 years ago instead of Zacha, or basically rehashing any draft, is as tiresome to me as debating whether Jack had a bad rookie season is to the rest of you. 

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

When Chytil scored Buchnevich was in offside. Raff had to challenge that goal.

I am glad someone else noticed this as its been my one complaint about Ruff so far. It was obviously offside and should have been challenged. 

We are fortunate it didn't end up costing any points. 

Edited by T0asterleav1ns
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is what pretty much everyone said the day we drafted him. It wasn’t a good pick. I’m not arguing that at all. Thankfully we got Nico the following year and Jack two years after that, or McLeod might be at the top of the depth chart at center, which would be a nightmare lol.

As far as McLeod goes...yeah, wasn't a great pick, and a potentially pretty good bottom-6 isn't necessarily what you're hoping for from a 12th-overall pick.  

But as you rightfully point out, having Nico and Jack in the fold should mean (barring lack of development or constant injuries) that we should only have to worry about Zacha and McLeod getting Top-6 duty in emergency situations.  If Zacha and McLeod can handle their lower-line duties well enough, Devils should be set at center for quite a while.

I'm all for putting players in the best possible position to succeed...if that means McLeod might have a career here that winds up being 500+ games as a 3rd or 4th liner, with occasional spot duty on the Top 2 lines if Jack and/or Nico are out, and McLeod is able to fulfill that role well, I'll live with it.  Considering all of the first-round picks who never make it at all, or come up for a few cups of coffee and do little else otherwise, I'll live with a guy who is at least contributing to the big club for several seasons, even if those contributions are less than glamorous.  They can't all be stars.

• Like 3