GDT: Islanders @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+, MSG+2

MadDog2020

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Niedermayer’s full rookie year was 11G, 29A, 40 points in 80 games. 

Will Ty exceed 0.5 points per game in his (abbreviated) rookie year?

To be fair though, Nieds was 19, after getting a taste the season before.

But I do believe he will break .5 points per game.

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Didn’t know much about him before the trade. I still don’t. 

If not for the fact that I know he wears #11 and that I occasionally see that number on the ice for the Devils, I would never know that this Johnsson guy is on the team.  I can't remember a single thing that he's done so far this season.  He has one shot on goal through five games this season.  ONE!

This year's Palms is a good case study of how misleading quick-glance numbers can be at times.  5 GP, 0 G, 3 A, 3 Pts, +4, 10 SOG.  If you didn't see him play, you'd see these numbers and think "Well, he's getting his shots at least, he's got a few points, he gets a couple of goals soon and he's off and running."  And he could eventually very well get it going (did get 5 SOG last night, doubling his season total), but I can't think of a single attempt that had me thinking "A couple more like that, and he'll snap out of this thing."  I can't think of a single chance that he's had so far that had me thinking "Damn, he was robbed on that one!"  If I could see each one of those SOG played back, I'm guessing that they're all low%, relatively harmless attempts, that do little more than pad the total.

I'm not jumping aboard the "Bash Palms at every opportunity" train, but as a fan who clearly has enjoyed what he's brought to the Devils since coming aboard, these five games are as bad as any that I can remember him having (even if the quick-glance numbers don't really jive with that).  He just looks terrible...slow, clumsy, kind of confused as to what to do when.  I think MB3 goes overboard with the Palms hate sometimes, no question, but last night I get where he was coming from...there were a number of occasions throughout the game where I was saying "God-DAMMIT Kyle!  What the fvck was THAT?!"

In the past, he'd have his, say, 10 goals in 17 games bursts where'd he put up about a PPG (and a shooting% pushing 20), and then those 4 goals in 20 games slumps, where the pucks weren't going in for him...but he'd still be getting his good chances and you knew that he'd eventually get on another roll.  As much as I don't want to make a huge deal out of a 5-game sample (it's minuscule), Palms looks nothing like that player at the moment.  And a part of me is wondering what the hell happened.  Really hope that it's just the long layoff, because it's starting to feel like this season has a chance to be more fun and relevant than we could've expected going in.  But the only way that that can happen is if everyone's contributing...team isn't good enough to overcome expected producers not producing.  Just hope that he figures this out, sooner than later.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was jumping back and forth between the AFL game and the Devils and sometimes nodding out. Both were good games because the team I wanted to win won. 

Not much I can contribute that hasn't been posted other than the way to go, Devils. 

I have to give a shout out to Wedgewood. He had a shutout, only his second one, I think. He came prepared to start unlike his first surprise start this season due to the virus protocol for Blackwood. 

On to the Flyers

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If not for the fact that I know he wears #11 and that I occasionally see that number on the ice for the Devils, I would never know that this Johnsson guy is on the team.  I can't remember a single thing that he's done so far this season.  He has one shot on goal through five games this season.  ONE!

This year's Palms is a good case study of how misleading quick-glance numbers can be at times.  5 GP, 0 G, 3 A, 3 Pts, +4, 10 SOG.  If you didn't see him play, you'd see these numbers and think "Well, he's getting his shots at least, he's got a few points, he gets a couple of goals soon and he's off and running."  And he could eventually very well get it going (did get 5 SOG last night, doubling his season total), but I can't think of a single attempt that had me thinking "A couple more like that, and he'll snap out of this thing."  I can't think of a single chance that he's had so far that had me thinking "Damn, he was robbed on that one!"  If I could see each one of those SOG played back, I'm guessing that they're all low%, relatively harmless attempts, that do little more than pad the total.

I'm not jumping aboard the "Bash Palms at every opportunity" train, but as a fan who clearly has enjoyed what he's brought to the Devils since coming aboard, these five games are as bad as any that I can remember him having (even if the quick-glance numbers don't really jive with that).  He just looks terrible...slow, clumsy, kind of confused at to what to do when.  I think MB3 goes overboard with the Palms hate sometimes, no question, but last night I get where he was coming from...there were a number of occasions throughout the game where I was saying "God-DAMMIT Kyle!  What the fvck was THAT?!"

In the past, he'd have his, say, 10 goals in 17 games bursts where'd he put up about a PPG (and a shooting% pushing 20), and then those 4 goals in 20 games slumps, where the pucks weren't going in for him...but he'd still be getting his good chances and you knew that he'd eventually get on another roll.  As much as I don't want to make a huge deal out of a 5-game sample (it's minuscule), Palms looks nothing like that player at the moment.  And a part of me is wondering what the hell happened.  Really hope that it's just the long layoff, because it's starting to feel like this season has a chance to be more fun and relevant than we could've expected going in.  But the only way that that can happen is if everyone's contributing...team isn't good enough to overcome expected producers not producing.  Just hope that he figures this out, sooner than later.         

It's not the point production that is troubling me about Palmieri, he just looks bad. Lots of turnovers, he looks like he is skating through wet cement at times, he's just not doing what we're used to him doing. 

Is it rust? Maybe he did a sh!t job of keeping himself in game shape over the extended break. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It's not the point production that is troubling me about Palmieri, he just looks bad. Lots of turnovers, he looks like he is skating through wet cement at times, he's just not doing what we're used to him doing. 

Is it rust? Maybe he did a sh!t job of keeping himself in game shape over the extended break. 

Re:  the bolded, that was my point.  His quick-glance numbers actually don't look that bad at all.  But HE does.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I think this is it. He looks way worse than he should, I don't think he was ready for the season cause a career doesn't just nose dive off a cliff for no reason over the course of a weird as hell off season.

Talk about a possible career blunder, in terms of pending UFA status

Edited by jagknife

This year, we finally have good and mobile defensive defensemen. The level of defense is much higher and it helps a lot. Plus, Smith was significantly more useful at both ends of the ice. And of course the goalkeepers did not let us down in any game.

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

This year, we finally have good and mobile defensive defensemen. The level of defense is much higher and it helps a lot. Plus, Smith was significantly more useful at both ends of the ice. And of course the goalkeepers did not let us down in any game.

Devils team save% is .944.

League average is .901 to date.

Very nice to be on this side of the fence for a change, but suffice it to say that we can expect the Devils' save% to come down.  And that's when some of the guys who are off to slow starts will need to pick it up significantly.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils team save% is .944.

League average is .901 to date.

Very nice to be on this side of the fence for a change, but suffice it to say that we can expect the Devils' save% to come down.  And that's when some of the guys who are off to slow starts will need to pick it up significantly.  

This is definitely true. 

I am trying to remain grounded and remember that despite the start, the bottom could fall out pretty quick. I'm just stating the obvious, but I'm cautious about getting too excited. I don't think the there is any way this place doesn't implode if they hold this winning trajectory a little longer then start dropping games lol. Then again they're still waiting on Nico, Bratt, and Vats and that could help a lot too so who knows.... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is definitely true. 

I am trying to remain grounded and remember that despite the start, the bottom could fall out pretty quick. I'm just stating the obvious, but I'm cautious about getting too excited. I don't think the there is any way this place doesn't implode if they hold this winning trajectory a little longer then start dropping games lol. Then again they're still waiting on Nico, Bratt, and Vats and that could help a lot too so who knows.... 

A lot of underlying numbers don't point to anything that's currently happening (record-wise) being sustainable...they're getting badly outshot and outchanced, though I feel like they've played better than some of those numbers suggest...I thought the Devils played a very solid game last night, and even in the 4-1 loss to the Isles, they played pretty well in the second...it doesn't feel like EVERYTHING they've managed so far was due to insane luck (and that's a good thing).

And yeah, I keep reminding myself that even if the Devils are due for some regression, they still have reinforcements waiting in the wings.  Hughes has looked great so far...can't see him falling off a cliff and turning back into the player he was last season.  And I do think this team is pretty well-coached...we got so used to DBA and DBA 2.0 not really having any answers that it makes us appreciate a coach who sees his team struggling, and realizes that he needs to make some changes, to at least give his team a chance to perform better.  For sure, this team has gotten a LOT of great goaltending, so that is helping in a huge way, but seeing how the Devils looked against the Isles in this past game vs. how they looked on Thursday has me very optimistic about what Ruff might be able to do.   

5 hours ago, aylbert said:

To be fair though, Nieds was 19, after getting a taste the season before.

But I do believe he will break .5 points per game.

Yes, he was only 19 where Ty is 20. But still, the guy had a Hall of Fame career, so if Ty has a parallel rookie year but is a year older, I'll find that encouraging. 

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A lot of underlying numbers don't point to anything that's currently happening (record-wise) being sustainable...they're getting badly outshot and outchanced, though I feel like they've played better than some of those numbers suggest...I thought the Devils played a very solid game last night, and even in the 4-1 loss to the Isles, they played pretty well in the second...it doesn't feel like EVERYTHING they've managed so far was due to insane luck (and that's a good thing).

And yeah, I keep reminding myself that even if the Devils are due for some regression, they still have reinforcements waiting in the wings.  Hughes has looked great so far...can't see him falling off a cliff and turning back into the player he was last season.  And I do think this team is pretty well-coached...we got so used to DBA and DBA 2.0 not really having any answers that it makes us appreciate a coach who sees his team struggling, and realizes that he needs to make some changes, to at least give his team a chance to perform better.  For sure, this team has gotten a LOT of great goaltending, so that is helping in a huge way, but seeing how the Devils looked against the Isles in this past game vs. how they looked on Thursday has me very optimistic about what Ruff might be able to do.   

Yeah managing expectations is very very important. It's good to enjoy the ride when we're winning or playing well but we need to remember this team is not ready yet.

I remember saying that making the playoffs that year with Hall would likely be a blessing in disguise cause we were not that good but now many fans would expect that from the team from now on. And sure enough lol

I mean, people can get their hopes up and then get incredibly mad and upset when the team doesn't deliver on their expectations... its up to them but i wouldnt recommend lol

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah managing expectations is very very important. It's good to enjoy the ride when we're winning or playing well but we need to remember this team is not ready yet.

I remember saying that making the playoffs that year with Hall would likely be a blessing in disguise cause we were not that good but now many fans would expect that from the team from now on. And sure enough lol

I mean, people can get their hopes up and then get incredibly mad and upset when the team doesn't deliver on their expectations... its up to them but i wouldnt recommend lol

Without dredging up 2018-19 too deeply, of course what really hurt was Cory never bouncing back...which of course led to KK being asked to be a #1, which he was able to do initially, then reality set in.  And Hall missing 49 games.  So much went wrong that year...if Cory could've been the Cory from his first three seasons here, and Hall had stayed healthy, that season could've been much more respectable at least.  But as we know, sh!t happens...and it happened plenty that year.

I would hope that people wouldn't get too pissed if this season goes through some rough patches (and are rough enough that it becomes clear this team won't be playoff-bound).  For me, the good news is there's some solid young talent now, and the head coach sure seems like an improvement over DBA and DBA 2.0 (even if DBA 2.0 is somehow still here).  The Devils are now 22-13-8 in their last 43 games (outscored 127 - 125), dating back to 12/14/2019...in their previous 109 games before that, they were 36-58-15 (outscored 385 - 279).  It's still very much a work-in-progress, but it does at least feel like they've turned the corner from being so dreadful...I can't see them again suddenly being as bad as they were for those 109 games (unless something catastrophic happens to Hughes, Hischier, Smith and/or Blackwood...feels like this is the new core in the making).  And even though the Devils are still prone to looking overwhelmed at times, overall they look much more competitive.  They are heading in the right direction.    

I am trying hard to manage my expectations. But its easy to get excited. Take last night, we shut out a team that is much better on paper, without our starting goalie, arguably our best defenseman (Smith has had a few things to say about it but I wouldn't crown him just yet), and 2 of our top 6 (maybe top 3?) forwards. While another of our top 6 forwards (Palmieri) has been MIA for a good portion of the games so far. 

3-1-1 through 5, did not think we would be here at this point. Let's keep it going. 

Wish I knew more about Blackwood and his return. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am trying hard to manage my expectations. But its easy to get excited. Take last night, we shut out a team that is much better on paper, without our starting goalie, arguably our best defenseman (Smith has had a few things to say about it but I wouldn't crown him just yet), and 2 of our top 6 (maybe top 3?) forwards. While another of our top 6 forwards (Palmieri) has been MIA for a good portion of the games so far. 

3-1-1 through 5, did not think we would be here at this point. Let's keep it going. 

Wish I knew more about Blackwood and his return. 

Yeah last night was a lot of fun...was rooting so hard for Wedge to finish off his shutout. 

Re:  Palms, MIA would be an improvement at the moment...at least when guys are invisible (like Johnsson), you don't really notice them for anything in particular.  I'm noticing Palms for all of the wrong reasons.  

And yeah, I remain excited until I'm given good reason not to be.  The record over their last 43 GP helps in that regard...even if a good chunk of that is goalie-driven, at least the Devils now have a goalie in Blackwood that can make that much of a difference, in a positive way!  Over a full season, the Devils' performance over the 43 games is a 97-point pace.  It's something.

Speaking of Blackwood, yeah I would like to know more too about Mac.  Devils obviously can't be without him for too long, but man I hope he's OK, just because...just hope he's not suffering through a serious case.  Feels like his career is about to take off.

17 hours ago, devlman said:

Zajac had a tremendous game shutting down Barzal. 

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

I thought Zajac was finished after last season but he has been excellent to begin this season.  The team has really, really needed him too - hopefully they can cut back on his ice time when Nico returns.

Best game of the season so far, there were definitely problems but they outplayed the Islanders, and what a great night for Wedgewood too, good for him.

• Like 4

Playing in his 15th season, needs four more games to reach 1000 for his career (also four goals to get to 200).  Where the hell did the time go?  I still remember when he was just a rookie, way more clearly than I'd like to...like it was only a few years ago.

Yeah will be sad for sure...curious to see where he winds up, as his career winds down.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Playing in his 15th season, needs four more games to reach 1000 for his career (also four goals to get to 200).  Where the hell did the time go?  I still remember when he was just a rookie, way more clearly than I'd like to...like it was only a few years ago.

Yeah will be sad for sure...curious to see where he winds up, as his career winds down.  

How many guys have played in 1k games as a Devil? I know the obvious ones like Dano, Marty, and Elias, but is that it? 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How many guys have played in 1k games as a Devil? I know the obvious ones like Dano, Marty, and Elias, but is that it? 

That’s it...Stevens, MacLean, and Greene each played over 900 games each as Devils.  Zajac will be the fourth to reach 1000.