GDT: Flyers @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

P.K. Subban Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I'd be surprised if the Devils actually did this, and of course easy for me to say (not my money), but it's really that not bad of a hit if Fitz ever decided to go the buyout route.  A big dead money hit next year ($7,666,667, in addition to other dead money), but it's either that, or pay PK another $9 million to suck again (and the Devils can actually take on the roughly $10 million in total dead money for next season...they just don't have much on their books, and likely won't be doling out any high-priced contracts).  A small dead PK hit in 2022-23 ($666,667), and that's that.  

I doubt Seattle would take him, but the Devils may be able to trade him there (with a pick or two, and offering to pick up a big chunk of his money...obviously not much is coming back in return).  At least that would get his actual cap hit off the Devils' books.  Devils will have tons of cap room next season (and lots coming off...just 11 players under contract for next season, with a number of UFA and RFA).  

He seems like a good, fun guy off the ice, and for me (sorry SD) was an easy guy to root for, my friend got my his jersey last year, too. But both of these options make too much sense for the team to not at least have a hard thought about at the end of the season.

The only thing I could see stopping them from the buyout and leaning towards the trade is Fitz & Co's thoughts on our progress this season. If we keep up this rate of success, they might think we're closer to where we want to be and might consider $7.6m in dead space a waste of an asset (actually this could be the case regardless of success since we've done pretty well on taking on dead deals to get pieces)

How has Murray looked this year? Really hard to see Devils games up here in Canada.  I look at the stat sheets and his numbers are great, a plus 2 on a night we gave up 5...

Im a believer in plus/minus for D men even though others are not.  I recently heard an interview with an NHL D man, cant remember who it was, and he stated directly in the interview that his goal was to improve his plus/minus this year, so it seems nhlers value it too.

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He seems like a good, fun guy off the ice, and for me (sorry SD) was an easy guy to root for, my friend got my his jersey last year, too. But both of these options make too much sense for the team to not at least have a hard thought about at the end of the season.

The only thing I could see stopping them from the buyout and leaning towards the trade is Fitz & Co's thoughts on our progress this season. If we keep up this rate of success, they might think we're closer to where we want to be and might consider $7.6m in dead space a waste of an asset (actually this could be the case regardless of success since we've done pretty well on taking on dead deals to get pieces)

Hard to say which is more ideal...if the Devils are planning on spending a real bundle next season, then sure, getting out from under PK's hit via trade is the way to go.  But being that I doubt they'll go after the top UFAs (and admittedly I don't really know who the big fish are, but being that it never seems like they ever want to come here, not sure if I should care), one year of a lot of dead money doesn't figure to hurt them...and they get to hang onto their draft picks.  The fact that it's just one season of dead money makes the idea of buying PK out easier to stomach.  

Of course, Option 3 is the one I really don't want...watching PK play out his final season next year (either in part or whole), in a Devils uniform.  Of course, given that the Devils aren't currently loaded with D prospects (and other than PK only have Severson, Smith, and healthy-scratch Butcher under contract with the big club in 2012-22), there may be room for PK...I really REALLY hope not, but it's definitely a possibility.  Guess it all depends on guys like Bahl and Okhotyuk getting a real shot to make the team next season, stopgaps like Vats, Murray, and/or Kulikov getting another one-year deal, and Butcher somehow working his way out of the doghouse and back into the lineup.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Behind the bench with his mask on, if you squint and only look at the top of his head, you can pretend its jacques lemaire

Pretty Jacques' part started below his ear...to his credit, not too many could dream of pulling off that severe of a combover.

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty Jacques' part started below his ear...to his credit, not too many could dream of pulling off that severe of a combover.

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

That comb over start at his back neck

I know of one guy locally who has a worse combover than anyone I have ever seen, and I can’t even look at him because it’s so hysterical. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I know of one guy locally who has a worse combover than anyone I have ever seen, and I can’t even look at him because it’s so hysterical. 

Yeah I've seen my share of bad ones through the years.  I don't get it myself...given the choice between a passable rug or a way-too-obvious combover, I'd have to take the rug.

Of course I took Door 3...fired my hair before it completely quit on me (a few years ago)...I shave my head completely every 4-7 days.  I do miss having hair some days, not going to pretend that I don't...but it is kind of nice to look the same, no matter what...not having to worry about any given hairstyle getting messed up by wind, sleep, or anything else.  

Couple years ago when I still worked in the city, I was on the train home one evening and a guy across from me had the most impressive combover I've ever seen. His hair was parted on both sides, with the hair combed over from each side and sort of ... I guess "interlaced" is the right word ... on top of his head. So, from either side it looked perfectly normal. And honestly, it looked pretty OK from the front, too; it kinda took awhile to notice that something was not right. Gotta say, I was (and still am) pretty impressed. I can't imagine how long it must take to comb it like that. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to accomplish it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And then he needs to test negative on days 3, 5, and 7 thereafter, correct? Meaning he'll be out a minimum of 7 days from whenever he tests negative. 

I wouldn't expect to see him until the second week of February, if in fact he did test positive which I think at this point we can assume he did. 

I don't know what the NHL's COVID protocol is for returning to play for players that test COVID positive.  I thought the 3-5-7 testing was for players coming into the the team from outside (like Bratt), not necessarily for someone in Blackwood's situation.  They test these guys pretty regularly, and obviously want to prevent spread amongst teammates, so it's possible that is what the league will require.  I just know that the CDC requires you to quarantine for 10-14 days from the onset of symptoms before you can resume normal activities.  

11 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't know what the NHL's COVID protocol is for returning to play for players that test COVID positive.  I thought the 3-5-7 testing was for players coming into the the team from outside (like Bratt), not necessarily for someone in Blackwood's situation.  They test these guys pretty regularly, and obviously want to prevent spread amongst teammates, so it's possible that is what the league will require.  I just know that the CDC requires you to quarantine for 10-14 days from the onset of symptoms before you can resume normal activities.  

I have no idea, I just hope he’s doing ok. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have no idea, I just hope he’s doing ok. 

Me too.  This virus is nothing but random in how it attacks people.  I'm in my early 40's and it felt like a bad cold to me with my symptoms only lasting a very short period of time.  I know people in their late 40's and early 50's that are in shape and otherwise in good health who have had to be hospitalized from it.  I'm sure Blackwood will come through it fine, but it's still scary stuff.

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Me too.  This virus is nothing but random in how it attacks people.  I'm in my early 40's and it felt like a bad cold to me with my symptoms only lasting a very short period of time.  I know people in their late 40's and early 50's that are in shape and otherwise in good health who have had to be hospitalized from it.  I'm sure Blackwood will come through it fine, but it's still scary stuff.

I apparently had it in March, I was practically aysmptomatic, I feel lucky in that respect. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

There's a strong belief amongst me and my friends we all had it this time last year, but since no one knew about it, we all wrote it off as the flu.

Mine was the last couple days of February and the first two weeks of March. Just a cough. Nobody in my office got sick and I coughed all over that bitch. My wife wound up testing positive in mid-March, and I tested positive for antibodies, so my doctor assumes I had it when I was coughing.

Neither of us ever had a fever. My wife lost her taste/smell senses and had some chest pain but was otherwise fine, she worked every day (from home at that point, but she wasn’t bed ridden). 

Last year mid-Feb through late March, my wife and I both had what, at the time, we thought was the worst cold we'd ever had. Our friends kept saying they thought we had COVID, and we kept telling them they were crazy. But we both got pink eye, which neither of us ever had before, and our respiratory issues lasted weeks and weeks. Then later I read that pink eye was one of the possible symptoms. So now I kinda think it's very possible that we did have it after all.

Anyway, last week I found this about how the NHL COVID Protocol list works. It doesn't answer every question, but it covers the basics. 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, Chuck the Duck said:

I was in the hospital for 5 days in December. Covid hit me pretty hard, but I didn't have to go on a ventilator, thank God.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I was in the hospital for 5 days in December. Covid hit me pretty hard, but I didn't have to go on a ventilator, thank God.

That's scary.  Glad to hear you are ok.  Once I started getting symptoms, my biggest fear was having them worsen and needing to go to the hospital.  They can't rollout these vaccines soon enough.  I don't fear for me or my wife and kids as I do for my parents and in laws.  Thankfully, we weren't around them where they could have gotten it from us.  

• Like 1