GDT: Flyers @ Devils 1/28 7PM

Nicomo

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

He makes $9 million. 🤮

What stings about PK is that he's not a #1 defenseman anymore, and we need a #1. But he hasn't been awful. He was pretty solid tonight.

He's certainly good enough to play defense for this team. However, I will add that he shouldn't be playing 25 minutes a game. 

Is Butcher still in this team's plans?

Edited by Jerrydevil

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Are the men the referees? 

Ya know, it’s really a terrible analogy anyway. The boys aren’t the problem with this team; the boys are the only reason I turn my TV off. The washed up, garbage, useless, pathetic, overpaid sh!tstain men are the issue. 

This team will be really good again. And I can’t wait. But that will not happen with Kyle Palmieri and PK Subban on this team. 

For sure PK Subban, I was ready to unload him at the end of last season. I am not ready to throw in the towel on Palmieri, I might wait until the return of Nico before I entertain that thought.

32 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

For sure PK Subban, I was ready to unload him at the end of last season. I am not ready to throw in the towel on Palmieri, I might wait until the return of Nico before I entertain that thought.

Both probably will be long gone by the time this team is contending for a championship again. In the meantime, the best thing to do is wait and hope they get hot so they can help us now or can help us add assets in a deadline trade. There is no jettisoning these guys or making them healthy scratches. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Both probably will be long gone by the time this team is contending for a championship again. In the meantime, the best thing to do is wait and hope they get hot so they can help us now or can help us add assets in a deadline trade. There is no jettisoning these guys or making them healthy scratches. 

Unfortunately I agree with this.  At the end of the day you still need NHL players on your roster.

I mean, I'd especially like to see Palms fvcked healthy scratched but that'd probably only make the situation worse.  You just have to hope he gets hot and gets a bit of a streak going.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Unfortunately I agree with this.  At the end of the day you still need NHL players on your roster.

I mean, I'd especially like to see Palms fvcked healthy scratched but that'd probably only make the situation worse.  You just have to hope he gets hot and gets a bit of a streak going.

I still think that, if Palms is still playing like he's been the past few games, he can be scratched after the weekend, for one game...not as a benching, more as a "clear his head" measure.  But mothballing him (especially with the Devils hard-pressed enough to score...more on that later) is just stupid.  There's no one who should be getting a chance as his expense; that being said, without question he is a very tough watch right now.   

I like Bryce and what he brings to the broadcasts, and I know that in his role he has to be a bit of a homer, but he's gotta know that a player just amassing a lot of low% shots isn't the same as that guy starting to show signs of coming out of a rough patch.  If there's a scale going from -5 to +5 (-5 being as bad as it gets, and +5 being that the player is playing to the best of his ability), I'd say that Palms has moved the needle from -5 to -3 these past few games.  He's been less bad, but still bad.  The volume of SOG (given the type they've been) is a baby step at best.

The seven-game mark of a 56-game season is about the same as the 10-game mark of an 82-game season...so some general observations:

The team plays hard and is definitely trying...to be fair, despite the results, they played hard for Hynes too; Ruff appears to be better at making adjustments (both within games and from game-to-game).  Bratt's back and obviously getting Hischier back should definitely help...and clearly they'll need Blackwood to steal some games.  But it sure looks like that though this team will surprise some opponents with how competitive they can be, they look like they're going to have a hell of a time finishing (nothing new in Devilsland, sadly enough).  The guy I feel for the most on that level is Hughes, because he's going to create a lot of good opportunities that will go for naught...the kind of thing that can sap a kid's enthusiasm over time if everything he's done isn't producing results.  It will be nice when he has linemates worthy of his ability (maybe Bratt can be that in time)...but for now, he'll be tasked with trying to make filet mignon out of whatever cheap ground beef he's saddled with.

Re:  PK...one thing we have to remember is as far as Ruff goes, PK's only been here seven games...as it should be with any new HC, PK has a clean slate.  Unfortunately we got to see him suck most of last season, and we've largely seen much of the same this year...so our patience with him is non-existent (I can't stand him myself).  But like any HC who believes in his abilities to get the most out of his players, Ruff is going to work very hard at trying to reinvent PK as a different kind of player...and he's not going to give up after just seven games (even if it feels like so much longer to us, due to last year).  So we'll just have to suck it up when PK has his share of "WTF?!" moments...because there will be plenty of them.  And it will be quite a while before Ruff would even dream of benching him...the only chance they'll have of getting him the hell outta here is to hope re-inventing him pays off to the point where, as long as the Devils are willing to cover a nice chunk of his remaining salary, there's a team actually willing to take a one-year flier on him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I’m starting to feel bad for Butcher. Guy lost his job at this point and we have a guy like PK getting paid a fortune to play poorly, and Kulikov is awful. And Tennyson is a borderline NHLer himself. 

What did Will do that he can’t crack this lineup??

• Like 1

No one's going to want Subban. We're stuck with him til his contract expires. What's happened to him?  Patting opponents on the back/helmet? (like we're all friends here) F>ck that! He sure as hell doesn't throw his weight around.  Why is everyone in love with Gusev? He doesn't want to get hit. (would he take a hit to make a play?)  I'd rather see Boqvist, at least he's a little competitive, and I'm not a Boqvist fan. Early to call new Hughes line. No urgency in 3rd period. Philly wanted it more. Soft team (except 4th line) proud of them. Hopefully Fitz doesn't interview for Pens job. I hear about Chayka coming here to work for Harris/Blitzer? Better not not let that d>ckweed near this team. 

Unfortunately couldn’t really watch last night.

From what I see here, the kids played well, and refs missed a few calls again. 

As long at the young guys are contributing and progressing, I’m fine by it. Can’t wait for Mac, Vats and Nico to be back though, that’ll help a lot, and Mac/Nico are part of that “young guy core” I want to see! 

How did Bratt look overall? Any rust? Saw his first few shifts and he looked good.

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m starting to feel bad for Butcher. Guy lost his job at this point and we have a guy like PK getting paid a fortune to play poorly, and Kulikov is awful. And Tennyson is a borderline NHLer himself. 

What did Will do that he can’t crack this lineup??

I gotta think he'll get a look eventually...like you just alluded to, not all of the guys currently in the D corp are untouchable.  But yeah, seems like whatever he's doing in practice, Ruff ain't feelin' it.  And Butcher's getting some solid coin not to play...not like he's on an ELC.  

58 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

How did Bratt look overall? Any rust? Saw his first few shifts and he looked good.

Bratt didn’t miss a beat. You would never know he hadn’t played since March. Or that this was his first game under a new head coach. He was honestly the only player that looked like he can keep up with Hughes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt didn’t miss a beat. You would never know he hadn’t played since March. Or that this was his first game under a new head coach. He was honestly the only player that looked like he can keep up with Hughes. 

Honestly, yeah, he looked in his usual form. Won’t be long before those two are clicking. 

I might consider putting Johnsson on that line with them, he looks re-energized and he probably will be happy playing with another Swedish dude. 

That plus you know, having nobody else worth putting on that line. 

I said before the season started I had to keep expectations in check etc. I expected some bad outings and rough nights. What I wasn't expecting was to basically dominate and still lose games, so I was pretty salty last night. I don't think I'll ever not get frustrated when we outplay a rival and drop hand the game to then like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, yeah, he looked in his usual form. Won’t be long before those two are clicking. 

I might consider putting Johnsson on that line with them, he looks re-energized and he probably will be happy playing with another Swedish dude. 

That plus you know, having nobody else worth putting on that line. 

They were the best line on the ice last night. For either team  

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I said before the season started I had to keep expectations in check etc. I expected some bad outings and rough nights. What I wasn't expecting was to basically dominate and still lose games, so I was pretty salty last night. I don't think I'll ever not get frustrated when we outplay a rival and drop hand the game to then like that. 

Yeah what sucked was it felt like the Devils could've come away with at least two points over the two games against the Flyers.  Just couldn't buy any breaks, and of course the refs didn't help.  

Would like to see more of Johnsson-Hughes-Bratt, just to see if there really is something there.  

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They were the best line on the ice last night. For either team  

Yep, I would make that a permanent thing. Well, as it was last night anyway, if they start not clicking, subject to change. 

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

based on some meltdowns i read last night. it's going to be a very long and emotional season for some folks in here lol 

Exactly. And that was a game where we didn’t play that bad in a season where we expected to lose a lot until we won 3 games lol. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. And that was a game where we didn’t play that bad in a season where we expected to lose a lot until we won 3 games lol. 

Which is truly ideal.

If we want what's best for the team. Let's hope for the kids to play well and make progress. Weed out the older players. Win a few games here and there so the kids can get some positive out of it and show that the team has potential looking forward. Hopefully flip Subban at the trade deadline. And get in a good position to get good picks through the draft and hopefully draft well.

Based on what we've seen, all of this could easily happen.

Right now, i understand fans wanting the team to win for their own personal wellness. But hoping for us to overachieve would quite possibly hurt the team long term more than anything, we're not there yet. Unless we're incredibly lucky during the draft and pick a late Pastrnak like player. We REALLY need more impact player on this team or else we're just going to be a middle of the pack team over the next 10 years. 

Edited by SterioDesign