Jump to content

Devils ready to resume Games! COVID-19 list down to 5


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah gonna be a little while before the next game it would appear. Just hope the guys all make full recoveries and feel better soon. And hopefully the guys who tested positive who have families (Palms, Zajac) didn’t bring it home to them. 

Ah yeah like i said the only guy i'd be worried for is Kakko cause he has a known condition that is highly at risk. But our boys should be more than fine or at least they are on the right side of the data that we've been seeing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's stop the usual inane calling out for one thread and agree we wish our players well, eh?  

Y'all got anymore of them Devils games?

Carrick is holding his son, sans mask, per the Devils Instagram account as of a few hours ago so I think it is safe to say he dodged the COVID bullet, thank god. Wishing him and everyone else who

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m a little confused as to how you think COVID is transmitted. 

Not to get all scientific and medical because I don't think any of us here are experts in either of those fields, but I for one believe you really do need to be in close proximity to someone to actually have a significant chance of transmitting and/or contracting Covid, provided of course that they don't actually sneeze or spit in your direction from a distance of, say, 6 feet apart; something I thought was common sense since basically the beginning of time, pandemic or no pandemic.   I'll preface this by saying that I where a mask in public when/where it's required simply out of consideration for others and because it's not a huge inconvenience to me - if I need to shop for groceries and the store decides to require it, no big deal - I need my groceries, and it doesn't take more than 2 seconds to put it on so I'll gladly comply - no sense in causing a stir for something so simple and easy. But I do doubt their effectiveness, at least when it comes to this specific virus, and particularly with masks that aren't of the N-95 variety.  I think it is more more likely that it's spread through something like bodily fluid exchange (sharing drinks, sharing chapstick, kissing, etc).  My other issue with non-N-95 masks (essentially every single mask you see someone wearing) is that people say "my mask protects you, yours protects me" - well, that just doesn't make any sense, because it's not a one-way operation...the masks are the same material on both sides, so if my mask protects you by "stopping" particles from going through it so that they don't land in/on/around you, then it would stand to reason that, in turn, my mask would protect me by blocking those same particles from entering in and through my nose, mouth, etc.  Alas, since we know that's not the case, I'm afraid it's much more likely that any non-N-95 mask isn't doing much at all in terms of you or I either giving the virus to someone, or contracting it from someone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to get into a debate about the medicine, suffice to say it’s a reallly unusual take given everything we have learned thus far. 

I mean, you said that people are protected from COVID by wearing hockey gloves and a jersey, if that was the recipe for defeating the virus I don’t think we’d still be talking about it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not going to get into a debate about the medicine, suffice to say it’s a reallly unusual take given everything we have learned thus far. 

I mean, you said that people are protected from COVID by wearing hockey gloves and a jersey, if that was the recipe for defeating the virus I don’t think we’d still be talking about it. 

I get that you might consider it unusual, which is fine - I think sometimes you have to consider what you read/hear/think you know - and to your point about what we've learned so far, I think it's easily argued that, even after a year, we haven't learned much at all, and so much is still up for debate, even by the most knowledgeable people in the industry(ies).

I mentioned players wearing equipment as being something that might prohibit one from getting the virus more easily than someone who wasn't wearing equipment because the stuff they're wearing makes them less likely to do something like rub their eyes with their bare hands, scratch (or pick) their nose, etc.  Those are things that I think would make you much more likely to get the virus rather than simply being in or around it and other people breathing.  

For what it's worth, obviously medical science indicates that at least to some degree there's a chance that the virus is passed through the air, but even they are conflicted on it.  I think it goes without saying that I'm of the opinion that the chances are lower than some might think. https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-transmission-overview#1

  • Airborne transmission. Research shows that the virus can live in the air for up to 3 hours. It can get into your lungs if someone who has it breathes out and you breathe that air in. Experts are divided on how often the virus spreads through the airborne route and how much it contributes to the pandemic.
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I get that you might consider it unusual, which is fine - I think sometimes you have to consider what you read/hear/think you know - and to your point about what we've learned so far, I think it's easily argued that, even after a year, we haven't learned much at all, and so much is still up for debate, even by the most knowledgeable people in the industry(ies).

I mentioned players wearing equipment as being something that might prohibit one from getting the virus more easily than someone who wasn't wearing equipment because the stuff they're wearing makes them less likely to do something like rub their eyes with their bare hands, scratch (or pick) their nose, etc.  Those are things that I think would make you much more likely to get the virus rather than simply being in or around it and other people breathing.  

For what it's worth, obviously medical science indicates that at least to some degree there's a chance that the virus is passed through the air, but even they are conflicted on it.  I think it goes without saying that I'm of the opinion that the chances are lower than some might think. https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-transmission-overview#1

  • Airborne transmission. Research shows that the virus can live in the air for up to 3 hours. It can get into your lungs if someone who has it breathes out and you breathe that air in. Experts are divided on how often the virus spreads through the airborne route and how much it contributes to the pandemic.

You’re confusing airborne transmission and droplet transmission. It’s well documented that droplets are the main cause of transmission. Airborne is referring to the virus lingering in the air and infecting someone.

It’s two different things. Check the CDC’s literature about transmission. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple random thoughts:

1) I wonder how much of an impact playing indoors makes, versus outdoors (football).  The NFL seems to have managed to really keep everything mostly under control.

2) These dudes are in very close contact off the ice in the lockerroom, it doesn't surprise me at all that players would pass the virus around if one guy got it.  

3) How the hell are we only postponed for a few more days?  Are we going to ice our AHL team to try and maintain schedule?  At what point do you start discussing just forfeiting? 

4) The start to this season makes the bubble thing all the more impressive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

3) How the hell are we only postponed for a few more days?  Are we going to ice our AHL team to try and maintain schedule?  At what point do you start discussing just forfeiting? 

Because they can always extend it. 

Forfeit becomes an option only if you don’t have enough guys to play when the league tells you it’s time. Personally, I say fvck it, why forfeit? Play whomever is eligible to play and if you lose, you lose. Maybe all you get is a look at some extra players against NHL competition, that certainly has some value, at least more than not showing up and taking the L. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Couple random thoughts:

1) I wonder how much of an impact playing indoors makes, versus outdoors (football).  The NFL seems to have managed to really keep everything mostly under control.

2) These dudes are in very close contact off the ice in the lockerroom, it doesn't surprise me at all that players would pass the virus around if one guy got it.  

3) How the hell are we only postponed for a few more days?  Are we going to ice our AHL team to try and maintain schedule?  At what point do you start discussing just forfeiting? 

4) The start to this season makes the bubble thing all the more impressive. 

With the NFL, I also wonder if the large sidelines play into things, whereas in the NHL everyone is up against each other for an extended period of time. Even in practice, I'd assume hockey players are physically closer than football players who have a large area to spread out in

As for point #3, I think that is the soonest players could have 4 negatives assuming that they continue testing every other day. My guess is that will be pushed back until at least next weekend as we get closer

Didn't the NHL have zero total cases in the bubble? Pretty crazy over the course of a few months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

The two most common ways to transmit COVID-19 are through respiratory droplets and airborne transmission. Spending hours together sitting on the bench and sharing the locker room, talking, yelling, laughing, coughing, sneezing, breathing hard, etc. It would practically be a miracle not to spread it under these conditions.

I'm as happy as anybody to have some games to watch, but objectively, holding team sporting events -especially indoor sporting events- right now is kinda nutty.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

Yup, an ice hockey rink is a petri dish.. being an older poster I remember in the 70s where the Boston garden had rain clouds forming.. add farmer snots on the bench, and wiping it with your gloves.. its a filthy sport we love..

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brick Pig said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

The two most common ways to transmit COVID-19 are through respiratory droplets and airborne transmission. Spending hours together sitting on the bench and sharing the locker room, talking, yelling, laughing, coughing, sneezing, breathing hard, etc. It would practically be a miracle not to spread it under these conditions.

I'm as happy as anybody to have some games to watch, but objectively, holding team sporting events -especially indoor sporting events- right now is kinda nutty.

McLeod scored two goals and was hugged by 4 other dudes while they were all talking/screaming. COVID was flying everywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty interesting that they are theorizing that an ice rink may trap particles around head level, which would go back to my earlier point about how it would sort of have to be a really specific scenario for the transmission to occur on so much of a more rapid and worse level, at least in comparison other sports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

McLeod scored two goals and was hugged by 4 other dudes while they were all talking/screaming. COVID was flying everywhere. 

Definitely makes sense in that case, but I still have to wonder why it's not similar in football, or even basketball for that matter.  In football guys are being tackled and landing on each other literally every few seconds, not to mention jumping and hugging after tackles, touchdowns, etc.  And in basketball it's a lot of the same, and again, those guys don't have helmets or visors at all that would help protect their faces (noses, mouths) from any airborne particles...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Definitely makes sense in that case, but I still have to wonder why it's not similar in football, or even basketball for that matter.  In football guys are being tackled and landing on each other literally every few seconds, not to mention jumping and hugging after tackles, touchdowns, etc.  And in basketball it's a lot of the same, and again, those guys don't have helmets or visors at all that would help protect their faces (noses, mouths) from any airborne particles...

Well they still have jerseys 😉

But seriously, I wonder if the ice promotes it. Go stand outside for a half hour, your nose will be running, your eyes will be tearing. Now add physical exertion to the point where you are breathing heavily. Guys are tossing around bottles and fluid soaked towels while on the bench. 

Arguably, the cold “weather” on the ice could make the production and transmission of fluids worse than in basketball. But it doesn’t much explain football because some of those games are played in temperatures far colder than ice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Well they still have jerseys 😉

But seriously, I wonder if the ice promotes it. Go stand outside for a half hour, your nose will be running, your eyes will be tearing. Now add physical exertion to the point where you are breathing heavily. Guys are tossing around bottles and fluid soaked towels while on the bench. 

Arguably, the cold “weather” on the ice could make the production and transmission of fluids worse than in basketball. But it doesn’t much explain football because some of those games are played in temperatures far colder than ice.

Yeah that's a really good point, and I'm inclined to agree.  I can't remember where I heard it, but early last year when Covid was just starting to run rampant and people were searching for ways to prevent/slow it, I heard somewhere that people, somewhat profoundly, said that warmer climates did not seem to have any affect in terms of stopping it, but to your point about the way the human body works from a fundamental standpoint, it seems only logical that it might play a part in it.  After all, even though it's probably not fair to say that people who live in the south/warmer climates are necessarily healthier than people who live in the north and colder climates, I think it's a pretty reasonable statement to say that something like flu season is much more noticeable in those areas of the country than it is say down here in my neck of the woods. And since the coronavirus is apparently similar to, or another version of, the flu itself, then to me it only makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

raw.png.f18b9a1c9b3cd4bd8467b162117be8b1.png

This is what Subban, Wood, Comrie, Murray, Boqvist, Tennyson, Wedgewood, Kulikov, Maltsev must see looking at Bastian, Gusev, Sharangovich, Bratt, Carrick, Dell, Hughes, Johnsson, Kuokkanen, McLeod, Palmieri, Severson, Smith, Tennyson, Vatanen, Zacha and  Zajac

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

I already miss Devils hockey. fvck. 

Yep. It’s harder because they were actually playing fairly competitive hockey, and the kids (especially Hughes) have been a blast to watch. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. It’s harder because they were actually playing fairly competitive hockey, and the kids (especially Hughes) have been a blast to watch. 

100%. We haven't had good young players like this in a long time. Even when they lost (even though it sucks), I'd enjoy watching the young guys. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.