Devils ready to resume Games! COVID-19 list down to 5

You have to start looking at the coaching and management of the team. How are the guys who weren’t even practicing getting COVID? 8 cases is inevitable and unavoidable.

20 cases is a failure.

• Like 3
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's stop the usual inane calling out for one thread and agree we wish our players well, eh?  

Y'all got anymore of them Devils games?

Carrick is holding his son, sans mask, per the Devils Instagram account as of a few hours ago so I think it is safe to say he dodged the COVID bullet, thank god. Wishing him and everyone else who

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Look on the bright side.  If the entire team gets it now (which it looks like they have), we are good for the next 3-6 months without having to worry about any of the rostered players contracting COVID and getting the team shut down again.  

It's possible to get Covid twice though it seems to be rare but they can't just throw caution to the wind since they are still going to be tested way more than a normal person. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

You have to start looking at the coaching and management of the team. How are the guys who weren’t even practicing getting COVID? 8 cases is inevitable and unavoidable.

20 cases is a failure.

I have to agree. I mean, even if the entire active roster wound up with it, guys like Nico, Vatanen, and Carrick should never have gotten it and should have been told to stay the fvck away from everyone. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to agree. I mean, even if the entire active roster wound up with it, guys like Nico, Vatanen, and Carrick should never have gotten it and should have been told to stay the fvck away from everyone. 

Speculation and less likely, but it is possible the team got it and someone else unrelated gave it to the guys that were not on the active roster. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Speculation and less likely, but it is possible the team got it and someone else unrelated gave it to the guys that were not on the active roster. 

I mean I guess so, would be a pretty huge coincidence that those three guys independently got it while the rest of the team is on the list, but it could’ve happened. 

• Like 1

according to google...

3483 new cases of covid in 7 seven day avg for state of New Jersey (as of Feb.)

population is ~8.8 million in the state

Those are actually really low infection rates.

In comparison, Ottawa where I live is about 600 cases a week for 1 million people

Of course, this does not include any mention of NYC, so perhaps the Devils live/entertain in NYC and that is the issue?

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

according to google...

3483 new cases of covid in 7 seven day avg for state of New Jersey (as of Feb.)

population is ~8.8 million in the state

Those are actually really low infection rates.

In comparison, Ottawa where I live is about 600 cases a week for 1 million people

Of course, this does not include any mention of NYC, so perhaps the Devils live/entertain in NYC and that is the issue?

All it takes is one person, family member, kid, gf, etc etc passing it to one of the guys on the team and then these guys were in close quarters in these locker rooms which are rarely big to begin with and the visiting team locker rooms are generally even smaller and they spent two days in the Buffalo visiting locker room. Definitely an easy recipe to spread it quickly. 

You can see that Buffalo visiting locker room isn't very big... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
12 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Yes but we gave it to Buffalo, not the reverse, so we didn't get it from their dressing room. It started with Blackwood.

That's not what I said, I said it probably spread through our roster so much because of how small that visiting locker room. 

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's not what I said, I said it probably spread through our roster so much because of how small that visiting locker room. 

Also, point of order, maybe everyone got it from Blackwood, maybe not. No way to actually tell that, especially in light of the virus having a variable incubation period. The fact that he tested positive first doesn’t necessarily mean he “had” it first. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Look on the bright side.  If the entire team gets it now (which it looks like they have), we are good for the next 3-6 months without having to worry about any of the rostered players contracting COVID and getting the team shut down again.  

Chuck, was that their strategy?

Let the other 7 teams get injuries, let the other teams play with an up and down schedule. Then the Devils come back, healthy, and play every night and win them all.

I don't think so. 

10 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Chuck, was that their strategy?

Let the other 7 teams get injuries, let the other teams play with an up and down schedule. Then the Devils come back, healthy, and play every night and win them all.

I don't think so. 

Relax.  I wasn't being serious, and was trying to draw out the only positive from an obviously bad situation.   

On 2/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, Satans Hockey said:

It's possible to get Covid twice though it seems to be rare but they can't just throw caution to the wind since they are still going to be tested way more than a normal person. 

They definitely can't throw caution to the wind and will have to follow the protocols like every other team moving forward.  

Hopefully nobody is having major complications or symptoms and will all come back healthy shortly.  I can't imagine that they will be forced into game action right away though.  The players have been off the ice for over a week, and most likely 2 by the time their quarantine ends.  They will need a few practices to ramp back up I would think.    

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

They definitely can't throw caution to the wind and will have to follow the protocols like every other team moving forward.  

Hopefully nobody is having major complications or symptoms and will all come back healthy shortly.  I can't imagine that they will be forced into game action right away though.  The players have been off the ice for over a week, and most likely 2 by the time their quarantine ends.  They will need a few practices to ramp back up I would think.    

Or more, Blackwood has been out since 1/23, its already almost 3 weeks. 

https://abc7ny.com/arenas-reopening-arena-capacity-new-york-covid-vaccine/10326563/ NJ will probably announce the same thing soon but hard pass from me, would rather watch on tv than have to go get a test every time.

Maybe the new slogan can be... our whole team has it and now so can you, eNJoy the covid on the house 

Edited by Satans Hockey
45 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

https://abc7ny.com/arenas-reopening-arena-capacity-new-york-covid-vaccine/10326563/ NJ will probably announce the same thing soon but hard pass from me, would rather watch on tv than have to go get a test every time.

Maybe the new slogan can be... our whole team has it and now so can you, eNJoy the covid on the house 

I agree with you.  I will pass on this season, even though I've had covid and have a miniscule chance of getting it again the next 3 months.  To each their own, but the hassle of getting tested before every game doesn't seem worth it for me.  That policy also doesn't seem like a practical solution for major sports like hockey, baseball and basketball where teams can have multiple homes games each week and have large numbers of season ticket holders.  Testing results take 24-48 hours to come back, and if you use a private facility you need to pay for the tests.  Doesn't seem so bad for football where there are few home games that are only played once per week.  However, over a 26 game home season (this year) that is crammed into a few months, that is a ton of tests for a recreational activity.  

• Like 2

Yup, I would be as bold as to say I likely won't go back until COVID is so over that testing is no longer required. I'm not going to get tested to go to a hockey game. 

• Like 2

fvck that. There should be no fans at all this year. This is why this damn country can’t get out of its own way on this sh!t. Meanwhile, up in Canada where they know what the fvck they’re doing, do you see them allowing any fans? The only division that hasn’t missed a game is the North division for a fvcking reason. But hey, sure, fans down here, where Covid continues to rage on. Great. ‘Merica. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck that. There should be no fans at all this year. This is why this damn country can’t get out of its own way on this sh!t. Meanwhile, up in Canada where they know what the fvck they’re doing, do you see them allowing any fans? The only division that hasn’t missed a game is the North division for a fvcking reason. But hey, sure, fans down here, where Covid continues to rage on. Great. ‘Merica. 

I agree.  Ironically, it's NY that is opening up to fans before any of the other northeastern states.  Kids can't even play youth hockey games in NY, but 1800 people can go watch a game at the Garden.  Makes sense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I agree.  Ironically, it's NY that is opening up to fans before any of the other northeastern states.  Kids can't even play youth hockey games in NY, but 1800 people can go watch a game at the Garden.  Makes sense.

I think you forgot about both the bright lights and the hustle and bustle.