Who are you, anyway?

MB3

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The only other sports team I live and die with is the Miami Dolphins, and have for around as long as I’ve been a Devils fan. I hope to see them win a playoff game again before I’m dead. I used to hope for a Super Bowl before I meet my ultimate demise, but, you know, one step at a time. I also collect jerseys. I have a pretty extensive collection of Devils and Dolphins jerseys I’ve accumulated over the years. Probably too many lol. 

So I’ve always been curious about you being a Dolphins fan, and wanted to ask about it. But as someone who’s had to answer “why the Devils?” About 200 times I didn’t want to bug you with a similar question lol. This seems like a good thread for such conversations though. How did you land on the Phins as your NFL team? 

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So I’ve always been curious about you being a Dolphins fan, and wanted to ask about it. But as someone who’s had to answer “why the Devils?” About 200 times I didn’t want to bug you with a similar question lol. This seems like a good thread for such conversations though. How did you land on the Phins as your NFL team? 

I get asked “why the Devils” all the time and the arena is 30 minutes from my house. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get asked “why the Devils” all the time and the arena is 30 minutes from my house. 

That’s a weird question if it’s coming from fans of the other NY area hockey teams. The Devils have won 3 Cups since either of the other two have won one. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They’re also one of those “National Following” teams (like the Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders).  Funny thing is there’s more interest in the Dolphins outside of Florida than in.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They’re also one of those “National Following” teams (like the Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders).  Funny thing is there’s more interest in the Dolphins outside of Florida than in.  

Same question to you, why the Pats? And I know you’ve mentioned you aren’t a “bandwagon fan.” Which I assume means you were following them even before the dynasty started? Not that I have a problem with bandwagon fans anyway. I could have been accused of hopping on the Devils bandwagon in the early 00’s, but whatever. I stuck with them during plenty of dark years, too lol. As long as you keep your allegiance no matter what, and don’t start switching to whoever the hot teams are atm I think it’s fine. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Same question to you, why the Pats? And I know you’ve mentioned you aren’t a “bandwagon fan.” Which I assume means you were following them even before the dynasty started? Not that I have a problem with bandwagon fans anyway. I could have been accused of hopping on the Devils bandwagon in the early 00’s, but whatever. I stuck with them during plenty of dark years, too lol. As long as you keep your allegiance no matter what, and don’t start switching to whoever the hot teams are atm I think it’s fine. 

When I was a little kid, I was into to all things Revolutionary War/Colonial Times...it started with the logo.  The kid across from me growing up had a dad who was from the Boston area who grew up a Pats fan, so he was one too...we were the only Pats fans in our entire school, so far as I know.  So we kinda bonded over that fact.  We dreamed that they might actually beat the Bears in the Super Bowl (they actually led 3-0 early on), but that’s just what it was...a dream.

When I went to college (late 80s early 90s) people wondered how I could follow such a meh franchise (not like they’d had much success to that point).  And of course it would get worse, with Zeke Mowatt waving his ding-aling-aling at reporter Lisa Olson in the locker room.  They really seemed beyond hopeless at one point...but I never considered bailing on them.  I’ve only ever rooted for the Devils, Mets, and Pats.  

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s a weird question if it’s coming from fans of the other NY area hockey teams. The Devils have won 3 Cups since either of the other two have won one. 

Well they’ve been asking since the 80’s. 

This is a Rangers town and Rangers fans think everyone should be Rangers fans. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Same question to you, why the Pats? 

It’s pretty evident that while most people (not all, but most) like their local baseball or hockey team, the same is not necessarily true of football. It seems perfectly acceptable to like whatever football team you like, I know guys here who are die hard Cowboys fans without ever having been to Texas. 

I suppose the fact that (typically free) television covers games regardless of whether the teams are local is responsible for that. If you wanted to be a Dallas Stars fan, you’ll have to pay extra for that, where the Cowboys you could have grown up watching them on TV every week. 

Just a guess, I’m not a football fan. All I know is I bought two boxes for Sunday and my numbers are 9,5 and 0,9 and I am not enthused. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s pretty evident that while most people (not all, but most) like their local baseball or hockey team, the same is not necessarily true of football. It seems perfectly acceptable to like whatever football team you like, I know guys here who are die hard Cowboys fans without ever having been to Texas. 

I suppose the fact that (typically free) television covers games regardless of whether the teams are local is responsible for that. If you wanted to be a Dallas Stars fan, you’ll have to pay extra for that, where the Cowboys you could have grown up watching them on TV every week. 

Just a guess, I’m not a football fan. All I know is I bought two boxes for Sunday and my numbers are 9,5 and 0,9 and I am not enthused. 

Back in the late 90s early 00s, I used to go to a couple of different sports bars in the Little Falls area, with a couple of friends...one was a Bucs fan, and another was a Dolphins fan.  The sports bar scene tended to be mostly fans of out-of-town teams...oddly enough, the largest group that I remember at one of the bars was about 11 or 12 Vikings fans...they’d all grab the same massive table in this back area, all wearing their purple jerseys, and they’d all leave as soon as their game had ended.

The bar would have a list of what teams were playing on what TV, so you’d seek out your team, and hopefully you could still hang with your buds with all of your games in view.  What was fun was seeing the same faces over time, and getting to know everyone.  Met some very cool people at those places.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Dan Marino was my favorite player growing up, so he was the main reason I started following the Fins. My grandparents lived down in Boca, so we always went to Florida every year to visit, some years multiple times; my grandfather liked the Dolphins. He actually gave me a Mark ‘Super’ Duper poster when I was 6 years old. So they were just my team. This despite growing up in a household run by my Giant fan parents lol.

• Like 1

Hey, I`m Dmitriy. I`m living in St. Petersburh. 32 yo. 
I`m game asset`s artist and I can`t say where I working because NDA. 21 century shizoid age. 

I went to university at 16, automation of technological processes. While still at university I started working as an engineer in an Internet company. I spent about 8 years doing this, but I wasn't really interested despite the fact that it turned out to develop on the career ladder. In parallel, I drew and performed freelance orders of various kinds. I began to study at the second university, I get an art education. 
Five years ago, my friends and I started a business selling flavorings. We worked for two years and went through all the stages - startup, local success, complete failure. I haven't done business with my friends since.  
Before working as an engineer, I worked as a loader, distributed ads, took photos, and worked a little as an assistant technician in a circus.

I managed to live in 6 cities, I changed 11 apartments.

My wife and I have been together for 9 years. She's from the Crimea. I am glad that we survived those difficult events in 2014 with dignity, even though it was a very serious test.
She is also an artist and she helped me at the start with training and with orders. Before her, all my girls were artists, but she is the best. And she is also the most balanced and understanding person.

Because of my traumatic photo past(photographing weddings was the worst thing I've ever done), we rarely get photographed, so that's just the way the photo is.

ggg.jpg

• Like 7

I was born in 74 and grew up in Westfield. I found the Devils around 1987. Didn’t play any hockey until around 1988 and I started off playing roller hockey. Played 2 years of ice hockey for Cranford recreational because Westfield didn’t have a team at the time.

I’m admittedly not the brightest bulb in the house so after (barley) graduating high school I started waiting tables at the Bennigan’s that used to be on Route 22 in Springfield. Waiting tables did allow me to move around the country for no reason other than to see what it’s like which was pretty cool.

After moving to Virginia Beach, back to Jersey, and then Arizona I wound up in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. From there I started bartending and eventually wound up bartending at the World Golf Village (both at the Renaissance Resort Murray Bros Caddyshack) where I met my wife (and Bill Murray).

After finally getting burnt out of the restaurant game I decided to go the Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL and got a degree in Show Production and Touring (live events set up). 

Got a part time job working for ESPN at Disney’s Wide World of Sports but needed a full time job and the only place I could find was a Presbyterian church in downtown Orlando. I worked there for 8 years (as an atheist, haha).

Had 2 kids in 2017 and 2019 (same years we drafted Nico and Jack). Moved to Saint Augustine, FL in 2019. Got a job with a production company but after COVID hit there was no work because no one was holding live events.

After over a year of being unemployed I got a call last Wednesday for a full time job working in customer care for company that builds luxury homes.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Had 2 kids in 2017 and 2019 (same years we drafted Nico and Jack).

Just promise when they start school, you won't look at their classmates and wish you had them instead because they are doing better. ;) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just promise when they start school, you won't look at their classmates and wish you had them instead because they are doing better. ;) 

There’s literally nothing these kids could that would make me wish they were someone else.

• Like 1

This is a great topic. This forum is full of great personalities. Thanks to MB3. It is very interesting to compare real photos of people with the way I imagine before.

And no one looks like a typical ranger fan.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

They’re only 3 and 1 but they already know better than that.

I mean obviously you're a good parent, so that Rangers thing can't happen. 

• Like 1

great thread - it's like a/s/l (dating myself there)

44 - Married w/ 3 daughters.

Most know - STH since '98 when i graduated college.

Short Hills so have seen my fair share of Devils as members of town (currently, Zajac, PK, Schneider (still here), Brylin)

Own my family's business - Capitol Lighting  & 1-800lighting.com

Love this site even before it was this site!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

great thread - it's like a/s/l (dating myself there)

44 - Married w/ 3 daughters.

Most know - STH since '98 when i graduated college.

Short Hills so have seen my fair share of Devils as members of town (currently, Zajac, PK, Schneider (still here), Brylin)

Own my family's business - Capitol Lighting  & 1-800lighting.com

Love this site even before it was this site!

Used to pass by your store on 10 all the time. That’s awesome.

2 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Worked in the Short Hills Mall when I was in law school. Working there as a Devils fan was so awesome. Met more than a handful of players, including my infamous confrontation with Bobby Holik, which I’ve told here before. 

Good times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Worked in the Short Hills Mall when I was in law school. Working there as a Devils fan was so awesome. Met more than a handful of players, including my infamous confrontation with Bobby Holik, which I’ve told here before. 

Good times. 

in normal days past, visiting teams would always stay at short hills hilton accross the street so seeing visiting players at the mall was a fairly regular occurrence.

i remember seeing pronger at the apple store and asked him to go easy on the boys - one word response: "nope."