Who are you, anyway?

Another old guy, like vadvlfan. 70 yo. Grew up in Jamesburg, not at the reformatory, aka State Home for Boys. We lived around the corner from our great grandmother, who got the house from her parents. Anyway, lets just say I have a serious devotion to the Garden State. My wife was/is a Rangers fan, growing up in Bergen County. She got me watching hockey . Then in 1994 my world changed when I got to see the Devils in what was arguably the best playoff series in NHL history. Been on this board from the start, seen the gradual turnover of posters. Missing PK's ardor for Scott Stevens, LOL.

I have lived in the Point Pleasant/Brick area for 45 years. Am a CPA, with clients from Essex County to Burlington County. I've got two sons, one lives in Chicago, the other in Seattle.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m a 45 year old architect and own a small commercial firm in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia.  I grew up in Wayne NJ but came to Philly for college and have been here ever since.  I was a

I actually met the owner of that restaurant! haha  

Great thread - cool to learn a bit more about you guys and nice way to kill the downtime indeed. I'm Greg, turning 35 in two or three weeks.  Originally from Long Island, moved to Southwest FL wi

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, point said:

Did I kill this thread?

Nah. I have just been a tad hesitant to post here.  This is just a little bit.  I think I am the oldest female on the forum.  Since no 29th this month I guess I will be 17 1/4.  Retired Systems Manager for big telecom. Born and raised in NJ.  Jersey City was home but now Hunterdon county is home.  Been here 30 years. Used to want to move to NC.  Now I just want little to no snow.

I joined this forum toward the end of Network 54 ( that is what I think it was).  This forum was new but not as it exists today.  Remember testing this site.  So long ago.  Been unlucky in health (sucks to have bad bones) but lots of folks here helped me through those times.  18 used to keep game recaps since there was nothing in hospital/rehab. Chat was great. Still going through more surgeries.  Next is reverse shoulder replacement on my dominant arm. All I can say is don't fall and break your shoulder. It really, really, really hurts!!!!!  Mine didn't heal correctly due to type and severity being misdiagnosed. Have met lots of folks but many don't post anymore.  Remember meeting DM and 4987 and others at games.  Miss those days.   Big thnx to Jag for letting me vent.  Really appreciate it. 🍻

OK that is enough rambling. point, let's see if I kill the thread. ;)

Edited by StarDew
Sucks using a stylus with my left hand.
  • Like 4

I'm 50 and I joined this site in 2002, the same year I got married. Born and raised in NJ (Teaneck, now living in Woodland Park). However, it was a Whaler game that got me hooked on hockey, when I was a student at University of Connecticut in the early 1990s. I moved back to NJ in 1994, which also happened to be the year when one of the greatest playoff series of all time occurred, and I got caught up in that. I picked a side, and it was the NJ Devils, and they've been my favorite pro sports team ever since. 

I was more active on this site in the 2000s, but I still like posting here. There have been some memorable threads here, and the one that sticks out in my mind was when the Devils traded for Ilya Kovalchuk.

I have two kids (15 and 10) and they're not really into pro sports, but they like the excitement of hockey, and they're eager to go to more Devils games. So am I.

This pic is from the early 2000s -- me and the great Stan Fischler, in the parking lot during a playoff tailgate. Stan used to rollerblade with the youngsters out there! The good ol' days.

JerryMaven.jpg

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

This pic is from the early 2000s -- me and the great Stan Fischler, in the parking lot during a playoff tailgate. Stan used to rollerblade with the youngsters out there! The good ol' days.

I can’t picture that at all lol

I’m a 45 year old architect and own a small commercial firm in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia.  I grew up in Wayne NJ but came to Philly for college and have been here ever since. 

I was a goalie for about 30 of those years but repeated groin injuries and Father Time forced me to convert to a beer league guilt-free defenseman that constantly pinches at ill-advised times. 

When I was very young I gravitated to the Nordiques, mostly for the uniforms.  My Grandmother had corporate season tickets for the Devils and we went to a few games a year.  I eventually made the full switch to the Devs when my Dad and I went to all off the home playoff games in the ’88 run to the conference finals. They’ve been my first love in sports ever since. 

The only other sport/team I really follow with any type of passion is the Miami Hurricanes and all things college football.  I became a fan watching them upset Nebraska in the ’84 Orange Bowl (I was asleep for the good parts) and then my Dad solidified it by taking me to the kickoff classic a year or two later where they beat Bo Jackson’s Auburn team at Giants Stadium.  Since I went to a college with no football, I stayed with UM and I typically catch one game a year in person (typically an away game).

As for personal life, my wife and I have a 1 year old son born 2/16/20.  After years of frustration and then 3 years on the adoption waiting list, we were contacted on the 18th of last year that we were picked for an emergency placement and were told to be at the hospital 18 hours later.   One year ago today was the best day of my life as we met our son for the first time.  

Rumor has it, Grandpa will be bringing him his first Devils jersey as a present but as a precaution for his visit, I went for a test on Wednesday and it came back positive for Covid.  Thankfully we all seem to be asymptomatic in my house so the mini Zacha jersey will just have to wait another 8 days or so!

IMG_2009 (1).jpg

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I’m a 45 year old architect and own a small commercial firm in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia.  I grew up in Wayne NJ but came to Philly for college and have been here ever since. 

I was a goalie for about 30 of those years but repeated groin injuries and Father Time forced me to convert to a beer league guilt-free defenseman that constantly pinches at ill-advised times. 

When I was very young I gravitated to the Nordiques, mostly for the uniforms.  My Grandmother had corporate season tickets for the Devils and we went to a few games a year.  I eventually made the full switch to the Devs when my Dad and I went to all off the home playoff games in the ’88 run to the conference finals. They’ve been my first love in sports ever since. 

The only other sport/team I really follow with any type of passion is the Miami Hurricanes and all things college football.  I became a fan watching them upset Nebraska in the ’84 Orange Bowl (I was asleep for the good parts) and then my Dad solidified it by taking me to the kickoff classic a year or two later where they beat Bo Jackson’s Auburn team at Giants Stadium.  Since I went to a college with no football, I stayed with UM and I typically catch one game a year in person (typically an away game).

As for personal life, my wife and I have a 1 year old son born 2/16/20.  After years of frustration and then 3 years on the adoption waiting list, we were contacted on the 18th of last year that we were picked for an emergency placement and were told to be at the hospital 18 hours later.   One year ago today was the best day of my life as we met our son for the first time.  

Rumor has it, Grandpa will be bringing him his first Devils jersey as a present but as a precaution for his visit, I went for a test on Wednesday and it came back positive for Covid.  Thankfully we all seem to be asymptomatic in my house so the mini Zacha jersey will just have to wait another 8 days or so!

IMG_2009 (1).jpg

What a precious little soul. Same color eyes.  Hazel? May angels watch over all of you. :)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, StarDew said:

What a precious little soul. Same color eyes.  Hazel? May angels watch over all of you. :)

He's been all over the place with eye color but I think he's settling into brown which is what I have.  The screen color does make them seem hazel though.    

Edited by Lateralous
36 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

He's been all over the place with eye color but I think he's settling into brown which is what I have.  The screen color does make them seem hazel though.    

You’re an architect, a Devils fan, and a UM football fan? 

are.... you.... me?

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re an architect, a Devils fan, and a UM football fan? 

are.... you.... me?

If you also believe that Pavel Zacha plays a super useful role on this team regardless of his draft position, then yes, with all that other stuff than I am probably your Ghost of Christmas future 🙂

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

If you also believe that Pavel Zacha plays a super useful role on this team regardless of his draft position, then yes, with all that other stuff than I am probably your Ghost of Christmas future 🙂

I’m a Zacha stan! Oh my god! I have so much to ask. Does my d!ck ever get bigger?!

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, StarDew said:

Nah. I have just been a tad hesitant to post here.  This is just a little bit.  I think I am the oldest female on the forum.  Since no 29th this month I guess I will be 17 1/4.  Retired Systems Manager for big telecom. Born and raised in NJ.  Jersey City was home but now Hunterdon county is home.  Been here 30 years. Used to want to move to NC.  Now I just want little to no snow.

I joined this forum toward the end of Network 54 ( that is what I think it was).  This forum was new but not as it exists today.  Remember testing this site.  So long ago.  Been unlucky in health (sucks to have bad bones) but lots of folks here helped me through those times.  18 used to keep game recaps since there was nothing in hospital/rehab. Chat was great. Still going through more surgeries.  Next is reverse shoulder replacement on my dominant arm. All I can say is don't fall and break your shoulder. It really, really, really hurts!!!!!  Mine didn't heal correctly due to type and severity being misdiagnosed. Have met lots of folks but many don't post anymore.  Remember meeting DM and 4987 and others at games.  Miss those days.   Big thnx to Jag for letting me vent.  Really appreciate it. 🍻

Weren't you on the old AOL board way back? I think I remember you. Their was another board I was on for years. 

11 hours ago, StarDew said:

DEeeeeewww  !!!! Miss you ; ) Courage for all the pain... and all the best from now on ! ; ) 

My daughter, Palms, and me from a meet and greet.  That’s his GW All-Star jersey that I was wearing.  This is coming up on about two years ago...my daughter is now almost 5’ 7”, and thanks to about 14 months of braces, no longer has that mild overbite.

image.thumb.jpeg.61c483a6ef3391912a20a52f7b185469.jpeg

• Like 3

I am 44yo gal who has moved around a bit. Grew up in the Poconos, went to college in Philly, lived in Boston for 12 years and now in Baltimore. I miss the hockey love in Boston but I actually really like Baltimore. Been in this board probably from the beginning. I found it via the njonline board. I passed there and on the ESPN boards back in 99-2000.  Been a devils game since 93. So happy to have a team that is fun to watch again. Maybe in will start paying more. 

First game of the season tradition is to have wings. The cat shirt is actually a devils shirt. Cat has a devils collar and says "to all my haters"

FB_IMG_1613837064928.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Weren't you on the old AOL board way back? I think I remember you. Their was another board I was on for years. 

Yes, I was.  It was some folks from there that told me about this place.  Very happy about that.  Remember the get-togethers at a restaurant in Secaucus then go to the game.  Since I had season tix from '82 I sat away from the group.  I met you at a game.  Who used to put those together?  Was it Crasher?  Met so many folks.  Loved going on trips with the fan club, too.  Lots of posters belonged to it.

6 hours ago, moustic said:

DEeeeeewww  !!!! Miss you ; ) Courage for all the pain... and all the best from now on ! ; ) 

Bonjour mon amie. Merci bien. :)  I see your posts and your pics.  You didn't have children back when you joined.  You still look the same as when you joined here.  Miss our chats too. Bless you and your family.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Bonjour mon amie. Merci bien. :)  I see your posts and your pics.  You didn't have children back when you joined.  You still look the same as when you joined here.  Miss our chats too. Bless you and your family.

I'm clearly not more wise now ; ) 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, moustic said:

I'm clearly not more wise now ; ) 

Mon dieu! You are still here! I have a picture with you somewhere....... 

Until I can find my picture with moustic, this is me in New York City on my honeymoon. 
I will post an intro later for those that do not know me. Also, I have posted some free stuff in the Marketplace forum if anyone is interested. 

IMG_0077.jpg

• Like 2
On 2/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, StarDew said:

Dew. shoulder replacement surgery is not fun.  I had mine several years ago.  It is an interesting story how I did it.  Fenway Park had Frozen college hockey games.  My school was in it (Northeastern Go Huskies!) Since I'm a camera bug I was taking pictures of the surroundings.  Since I had my eye in the viewfinder I thought I was standing in the aisle.  I was on one of the narrow steps instead.  I tripped and fell over at least 4 rows of seats.  (No I was not drunk it was a 11:00 AM game.)  Anyway good luck with your surgery.  All I can say I discover a new ache everyday.😒

On 2/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, StarDew said:

Yes, I was.  It was some folks from there that told me about this place.  Very happy about that.  Remember the get-togethers at a restaurant in Secaucus then go to the game.  Since I had season tix from '82 I sat away from the group.  I met you at a game.  Who used to put those together?  Was it Crasher?  Met so many folks.  Loved going on trips with the fan club, too.  Lots of posters belonged to it.

Yes, they were organized by Crasher. I forget the restaurant we met, but it was fun putting a face to people you communicated with daily. Crasher I think is still lurking here.  I remember Greg (Puck Daddy) Wyshynski used to ask opinions on articles he was writing. Now, he's big shot at ESPN. He was on Brian's old forum.