Who are you, anyway?

MB3

Just now, moustic said:

it was such a blast to meet you there ! My first ever NHL game... I cross the ocean to see this game (Montreal Vs New jersey) ... I saw Jagr, Elias, Brodeur... i was over the moon ! 

I hope you saw a win after such a long journey? 

9 hours ago, Don said:

Mon dieu! You are still here! I have a picture with you somewhere....... 

Until I can find my picture with moustic, this is me in New York City on my honeymoon. 
I will post an intro later for those that do not know me. Also, I have posted some free stuff in the Marketplace forum if anyone is interested. 

IMG_0077.jpg

Don, good to hear from you man! Been a long time! Hope you’re well 🍺

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nice! My trip up to Montreal in 2008 to see the Devils was a 2-1 loss, unfortunately. But I recommend everyone puts seeing a game in Montreal on your bucket list if you’ve never gone. It’s a crazy experience.

i'm sure it's amazing if you don't understand french and not able to understand what people around you are saying yes lol then it's just noise, not words that makes you want to stab yourself in the face

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm sure it's amazing if you don't understand french and not able to understand what people around you are saying yes lol then it's just noise, not words that makes you want to stab yourself in the face

And since I don’t understand a word of French, I fully enjoyed the experience 🤣(except for the Devils losing, which sucked).

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If you want to see people get stabbed in the fact, just go to a Devils home game.  We play in Newark, it’s only minutes before the next face stabbing. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And since I don’t understand a word of French, I fully enjoyed the experience 🤣(except for the Devils losing, which sucked).

I was in Montreal for the last game of the 2005-06 season when the Devils came back from down 3-1 in the 3rd to win and extend that ridiculous winning streak. Holy jeez was that a fun game. I didn't understand a single angry French word. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Wait I am the only girl who still posts on this board?  I know there was a few back in the day.

Not sure, but you’re probably the best one. 

• Thanks 1

-        37 years old

-        Married for almost 5 years now.

-        I currently live in the northern part of Somerset County, NJ.  Grew up nearby.

-        In between dogs.  Last one died last year due to health issues.  We adopted a senior dog who was at least 10 per our vet.  Have since fostered 2 other dogs but have not found a permanent one yet.

-        Graduated with a degree in history that I do not use

-        Work as a Sr Operations Manager for a large corporate reseller of IT products.  I make sure that over $900M in annual revenue flows smoothly, solve logistical and supply chain issues, as well as do data analytics.

-        My wife works as a mental health counselor in private practice.  She is right now in her office upstairs seeing a client virtually as I type this.

-        Since I am on Excel and doing data crunching for 2-8 hours on average every day, it has given me an extra level of hatred towards analytics in hockey as I don’t want that to overtake something I follow for enjoyment (or try to).

-        My parents are immigrants. 

-        My Dad was born in what is now Slovakia to a German mother and a Hungarian father.  He was born in 1940 but had to flee with his family to southern Austria in 1944 due to the Soviets advancing on Germany and were not exactly kind of anyone who was ethnically German.  While they were fleeing with other civilians on the train towards Austria, his train was shot at multiple times by passing English fighter planes.

-        After they reached southern Austria, my Dad’s family lived in a castle built hundreds of years ago.  It was owned by an American family after WW2 and they lived in an apartment inside the castle and his father (my grandfather) worked as the groundskeeper.

-         My Dad’s family won the state lottery shortly before they had to flee.  They were never able to collect their winnings.

-        My mom was born in Southwestern Germany in 1944.  Like my father’s family they were poor, but they lived in an apartment in a city (Mannheim).

-        My Dad came over with his family to the US in 1956.  He became a citizen a few years later and then was drafted in the Army in 1963.  He was honorably discharged in 1965 and met my mom later that year in Elizabeth as she came over the year before as an au-pair.

-        I have an older brother.  He is 7.5 years older than me.  He does what my dad did before he retired (general manager of a custom office furniture manufacturer).

-        I don’t have kids and don’t want them either.  Nothing against kids, but just don’t want them.  I do have a nephew who is 14 years old.

-        I have visited half the countries in Europe in my lifetime.

-        Overrated cities that I have visited: Amsterdam, Hamburg, Stockholm

-        Underrated cities that I have visited: Helsinki, Budapest, Vienna

-        Cities that were just as great as described: Venice, Rome, Oslo and Prague.

-        In Berlin, I ran into former King of Spain, Juan Carlos.  Like I literally bumped into him when we were both at a museum with my brother.  I was 13 at the time and his bodyguards weren’t too pleased but knew it was an accident.

-        I am not a big autograph or celebrity seeker, but I recently met Kelsey Grammer.

-        I have also met Neil Patrick Harris.

-        I once met Bruce Springsteen down the shore

-        My dad once insulted Phil Rizzuto to his face at a hardware store in Hillside.  He wasn’t too pleased.

-        I almost became a Rangers fan as we didn’t get SportsChannel until 1991/92.  Before then we only had MSG so I watched a good amount of Rangers games and had to follow the Devils in the paper or TV news.

-        Favorite bands are David Bowie, Queen and Pink Floyd

-        I stopped eating veal a decade ago, and stopped eating beef and pork about 3 years ago.  I eat very little meat these days and only a very small amount of dairy.  I will likely be vegan (my wife is already vegan for years) in the next 1-2 years.

-        I collect hockey jerseys, specifically game worn hockey jerseys.

-        I used to be really into beer but got tired of that crowd.

-        Not very political.

-        Love the beach/ocean but I easily get seasick easily.

-        I actually miss traveling for my work.  I used to go to Austin 5-6 times a year but now don’t mostly due to COVID.

-        One of these points is a lie.  The rest are 100% true.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eldon said:

The lie has to be about Phil Rizzuto. Bet your dad loved him, went up to him in that hardware store and then talked for nearly an hour, even as Cora kept honking the horn. 

I think it’s the point about beer. Beer is great. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Interesting guesses as to which one is the lie in my post

I'll say the very last point is the lie...more than one of the points is a lie (going for a reach on this one).  

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll say the very last point is the lie...more than one of the points is a lie (going for a reach on this one).  

Ooh that's not bad.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, DevsMan84 said:

-        My mom was born in Southwestern Germany in 1944.  Like my father’s family they were poor, but they lived in an apartment in a city (Mannheim).

-        My Dad came over with his family to the US in 1956.  He became a citizen a few years later and then was drafted in the Army in 1963.  He was honorably discharged in 1965 and met my mom later that year in Elizabeth as she came over the year before as an au-pair.

This is the lie. Actually she came over as a member of Mannheim Steamroller. 

• Haha 2

The beer fact resonates with me. I used to brew and was so close to opening a brewery but started having kids and couldn't commit the time. I'm glad I didn't do it because it was right around the beginning of that obnoxious wave of sh!t breweries opening and I just have to assume I would have been another. I also hate the trend of $18 4pks of pint cans. It's hard to give a fvck now.

Let's see if anyone remembers me...

I've been on this board for many many years - had a few name changes along the way. Some of you may remember me as Sykkie17, others might recall RD. Alas, I genuinely grew up on this forum - starting out at as a 15-year-old kid who loved to write and dreamt of being a sports journalist. I used to be in charge of game recaps on the old NJDevs front page, which helped spawn one of my favorite projects I've ever done with my buddies Joe, Josh, and Steve - 2 Man Advantage. We had a whirlwind of a time, being recognized by the NY Post, NY Times, Star Ledger, and MSG website among others. Crazy to think how long it's been - I'm 36 now!

Anyway, I've been a Devils fan since 1994. Was a STH for a couple seasons at the Meadowlands but then life got in the way and I moved out to Chicago for some time. I've since relocated back to NJ, settling in Morris County. I am a Certified Store Manager at a Walgreens which is something I for sure never envisioned, but life can be funny like that. Thanks to my brother, we are again STH and have been for the past three seasons.

It's really nice to see some familiar names still around. I need to post more again. It feels good to be back!

20210621_162235.jpg

• Like 6