What are you top 10 entertainment outside of hockey?

SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t at the moment, but I can always be persuaded to sign back up. 

That’s the one streaming site I don’t have. Don’t you have to pay extra to not have ads? Makes me not want to get it on principle. 

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Both Aster’s movies seem to be that way. As for Blumhouse I liked The Invisible Man, but I don’t think I’ve seen too much else recently. Get Out and Us are great (I know the latter is kind of divisive). Oculus was really good. I’m a big fan of Mike Flanagan. I was really nervous about Dr Sleep but I think he nailed it. I loved Creep (the sequel is just ok). I thought Ma was terrible.

I saw you mentioned comics, Todd McFarlane was supposed to be making another Spawn movie with Blumhouse, but it feels like it’s never going to happen at this point. It’s supposedly going to focus on Sam and Twitch with Jeremy Renner playing Twitch. Spawn was my sh!t back in the day (like I said I was a 90’s kid lol) and the first movie was an abomination other than some good casting choices, so I’d love to see a live action movie done right. I loved the HBO animated series. 

Get out was fantastic, i enjoyed the first 20 or so minutes of Us but then it fell off a cliff for me, does anyone know if we have spoiler tags here? @DevilMinder? I'd say more but want to put spoiler tags not to ruin it for people who plan on watching.

WWE Studios actually had a hand in Oculus too but that movie turned out to be great, the son in that is actually Dick Grayson in Titans now too, he's absolutely perfect casting for that. Doom Patrol is great too. Creep was definitely borderline for me, the camera stuff gives me a headache at times but he was great at playing that part. I still have to watch Dr. Sleep and that new the stand series. I enjoyed Ma in a hilarious this is so ridiculous way lol

I haven't read any Spawn in ages but definitely liked that when I was younger but really don't remember anything from the movie, I remember enjoying the animated series. That new one sounds great though, would be awesome to have a really well done movie. 

This the Blumhouse/Amazon deal i was talking about... 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blumhouse-movies-amazon-1234733954/

https://www.amazon.com/adlp/welcometotheblumhouse?tag=wwwfccom-20

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ah ok. I didn’t even know they had partnered up with Amazon. I haven’t seen any of those.

Speaking of Amazon though, The Boys is definitely one of my current favorite shows. Homelander has to be one of the best characters on tv right now. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this has been a fun few days on the boards. 

Definitely was a great idea, I think it also shows how a lot of us like talking about this stuff but don't ever venture to the off topic part of this place, I just looked over there and it's a few threads and then stuff dating back years and years lol

HF leaves the entertainment thread right where the rest of the stuff is, might be what we should do here since it clearly gets more traction. Just really need spoiler tags, I'm not sure if this place has em or not, if we wanna talk more in depth about some movies. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Both Aster’s movies seem to be that way. As for Blumhouse I liked The Invisible Man, but I don’t think I’ve seen too much else recently. Get Out and Us are great (I know the latter is kind of divisive). Oculus was really good. I’m a big fan of Mike Flanagan. I was really nervous about Dr Sleep but I think he nailed it. I loved Creep (the sequel is just ok). I thought Ma was terrible.

I saw you mentioned comics, Todd McFarlane was supposed to be making another Spawn movie with Blumhouse, but it feels like it’s never going to happen at this point. It’s supposedly going to focus on Sam and Twitch with Jeremy Renner playing Twitch. Spawn was my sh!t back in the day (like I said I was a 90’s kid lol) and the first movie was an abomination other than some good casting choices, so I’d love to see a live action movie done right. I loved the HBO animated series. 

Ma started off well enough, but yeah, went completely off the rails as it continued. 

What's funny (or sad) is that I knew a few Ma-types (female AND male) who were anywhere from, say, 25-35 years old, who were clearly not accepted among most people their own age (and were considered losers, which the ones I knew definitely were), but because they could get beer and/or might have some weed (and their own place, even if was little more than a shack) and seemed like they could relate to younger people about certain things and didn't act like parents, they would try to hang out with teenagers, who might find them "cool".  I remember going to a "Ma" place like that once, with a few friends...after that one time (and being there for maybe an hour tops), I just knew there was something not right, about some loser in his mid-20s trying to hang with a bunch of 15-17 year old kids...even then I was thinking "Don't have you any friends that are out of high school?"  I trusted my gut and never went back there (don't think my friends really did either, as far as I know).  I think he was probably harmless, though I would NEVER want my daughter ever putting herself in a situation where someone like that could take advantage of her.  One of my greatest "Dad" fears.

There was another guy who had to be pushing 60, who'd be lurking around and had somehow become a part of the high school crowd (you'd see him at local pizzerias and places like that), and that guy I did not get at all.  I heard stories about him and teenage girls that really freaked me out...enough to strongly believe that some of them were very likely true.  Not sure what ever became of him.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Amazon though, The Boys is definitely one of my current favorite shows. Homelander has to be one of the best characters on tv right now. 

Absolutely, he's so perfect in that role. It's Amazon biggest original series by far too, they already have a spin off in the works. It's such a great different take on superheros, absolutely love it. 

Since you're a big horror fan Halloween Horror nights at Universal Studios in Orlando is an absolute must do at some point. I finally went to one a few years ago and it was incredible, was basically like walking through the movie sets but with scares too. They had Stranger Things, Killer Klowns from outer space(which i never watched before until before going and was absolutely ridiculous lol), Us(which was spot on creepy like the movie), Ghostbusters(including the smell of marshmallows at the end lol), House of 1000 Corpses and a Classic Universal Monsters house which was incredible and had different segments from Dracula, Werewolf, Mummy, Creature from the black lagoon and Frankenstein. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely, he's so perfect in that role. It's Amazon biggest original series by far too, they already have a spin off in the works. It's such a great different take on superheros, absolutely love it. 

Since you're a big horror fan Halloween Horror nights at Universal Studios in Orlando is an absolute must do at some point. I finally went to one a few years ago and it was incredible, was basically like walking through the movie sets but with scares too. They had Stranger Things, Killer Klowns from outer space(which i never watched before until before going and was absolutely ridiculous lol), Us(which was spot on creepy like the movie), Ghostbusters(including the smell of marshmallows at the end lol), House of 1000 Corpses and a Classic Universal Monsters house which was incredible and had different segments from. Dracula, Werewolf, Mummy, Creature from the black lagoon and Frankenstein. 

Nice. That sounds like precisely my cup of tea. We went to Universal when I was a kid, but I don’t really remember it that well. I think they had the Bates Motel, the Jaws ride, something with King Kong...

My wife would be into the Harry Potter stuff (not my thing at all) so it might be a good trip for us when things get back to normal. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nice. That sounds like precisely my cup of tea. We went to Universal when I was a kid, but I don’t really remember it that well. I think they had the Bates Motel, the Jaws ride, something with King Kong...

My wife would be into the Harry Potter stuff (not my thing at all) so it might be a good trip for us when things get back to normal. 

We took my daughter right when she was in the middle of her Harry Potter phase and it was basically the best day of her life. As an only child, really everything is always about her, but this was REALLY just about her, as neither my wife or Icared about Universal at all. We made it her 5th grade graduation gift. 

Don't ever go for a single day, its super expensive. All in with the passes, the thing to cut the lines (since we were only going one day), food and souvenirs (she got whatever she wanted), it was basically a $1200 day. But she'll never forget it. First is her outside of Hogwart's; second is later that day after she took a shower in the hotel room. 

IMG_5048_hq.thumb.jpg.7b67058d0858393337df4030e8277861.jpgIMG_6677_hq.thumb.jpg.aaeefef157353a63d802a353eb1c460e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

All that stuff is gone now, there's a completely different King Kong ride now and while it has it's moments and cool aspects it definitely suffers from too much of the ride being on a screen but that's true about a lot of the universal parks lately. Their slogan use to be "ride the movies!" but now it really is a lot of experience something while watching a screen. Fast and the furious is the best example, by far Universal's biggest franchise and should be a simple home run of a ride, doing something with two cars going fast and racing each other.... Nope, you get into this "party bus" and watch a screen instead lol

That being said the Harry Potter sections are incredible in terms of detail. It's really like walking into the movies, I watched them all once before going to the parks just so I could experience it better. I didn't think I'd care much for the movies but actually ended up enjoying them and even if you don't they have this drink called butterbeer that they sell in all sorts of forms and it's really good lol

I know we have quite a few Ghostbusters fans here who would have enjoyed that house...

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Thanks 1

Anybody into Midnight Gospel on Netflix or High Maintenance on HBO?  Those have been in my top binges the past year or so.  Also hit The Wire with a 5th watch through because that show only gets better the more you watch it and learn the lingo.

I have an issue with movies where I have a hard time committing to two or so hours of something at a time and it's especially more difficult with 3 kids under the age of 6.  However, I find myself watching like 8 episodes of Letterkenny or playing a few hours of Warzone with the boys.  Gotta stack onto MB3's mention of it being the perfect social hangout these days.  I'm a big fan of sitting at a bar shooting the sh!t for hours and since I can't do that now, we just hop into Warzone/Rocket League lobby, start up a listening session on Spotify, and crank some beers while listening to music and catching up.

Any of you rockers into the Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Glassjaw sort of subspace? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Any of you rockers into the Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Glassjaw sort of subspace? 

I've seen Glassjaw and ETID more times than I count. Even saw Glassjaw do a midnight show at Irving Plaza a bunch of years ago. I love everything Daryl Palumbo does, seen him with Head Automatica a bunch of times too. Don't know if you're a wrestling fan at all but Andy the big guitarist from ETID is actually a wrestler called the Butcher in All Elite Wrestling on TNT too, he's actually pretty good too considering he hasn't been really doing it that long. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We took my daughter right when she was in the middle of her Harry Potter phase and it was basically the best day of her life. As an only child, really everything is always about her, but this was REALLY just about her, as neither my wife or Icared about Universal at all. We made it her 5th grade graduation gift. 

Don't ever go for a single day, its super expensive. All in with the passes, the thing to cut the lines (since we were only going one day), food and souvenirs (she got whatever she wanted), it was basically a $1200 day. But she'll never forget it. First is her outside of Hogwart's; second is later that day after she took a shower in the hotel room. 

Both Harry Potter areas are amazing...on par with anything Disney offers.  

I like Universal for what it is...it doesn't have Disney's "magic", but I love the fact that if you're willing to pony up for the Express+ (think that's what it's called) tickets, you can go on just about anything, any time, and can be much more spontaneous with what you choose to do.  We basically got to the parks at opening, would do all we wanted to do by 4 - 4:30, then would hit Citywalk for dinner (or head back to our resort...we stayed at Universal), and then chill back in our rooms.  

Between the two existing parks, it's a good 3-day place...don't really need to go any longer than that.  Volcano Bay (their water park) is fun for a day.  So four days total at Universal, and you're good.  

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've seen Glassjaw and ETID more times than I count. Even saw Glassjaw do a midnight show at Irving Plaza a bunch of years ago. I love everything Daryl Palumbo does, seen him with Head Automatica a bunch of times too. Don't know if you're a wrestling fan at all but Andy the big guitarist from ETID is actually a wrestler called the Butcher in All Elite Wrestling on TNT too, he's actually pretty good too considering he hasn't been really doing it that long. 

Nice man!  Daryl is a legend.  I saw Glassjaw play a show with Saves the Day so half the band played 2 sets because they share 2 members.  Hell of a show.  Also saw Head Automatica a few times, and Finch.  Not sure if you listen to them but Daryl worked with Nate on his screaming and Daryl actually did some singing on Project Mayhem and Grey Matter.  Great songs for that screamo movement that got me into the harder stuff down the road.

I saw ETID at the School of Rock in maybe Hackensack?  It was insane, the stage was like 6inches off the ground, it was more of a small step, but yeah, you can imagine how crazy that was.  Apparently Drew Stafford is good friends with Keith Buckley and has played drums with them.  He's actually in this video at the 1:58 mark playing jenga in his full Sabres getup.  Video is NSFW.

EDIT: Looks like the video link isn't working.  The song is called Decayin with the Boys if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That being said the Harry Potter sections are incredible in terms of detail. It's really like walking into the movies, I watched them all once before going to the parks just so I could experience it better. I didn't think I'd care much for the movies but actually ended up enjoying them and even if you don't they have this drink called butterbeer that they sell in all sorts of forms and it's really good lol

The day we went was the hottest of our trip, it hit triple digits. We usually try to restrict sugary type snacks to one a day when we are on vacation, because lets face it, in a theme park you could go crazy with sugary drinks, cookies, ice cream, you name it.

That rule got bent because of frozen Butterbeer. We each had our first at like 9:30 AM because it was right there, and man, is that stuff good. We each had another around 1 pm, after lunch. I could have skipped lunch and gone straight to the frozen Butterbeer. And its possible the three of us shared one additional frozen Butterbeer on the way out of the park. I don't know what the hell its made out of (other than its not butter or beer), but its amazing, and even more so on a 100 degree day I bet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ah ok. I didn’t even know they had partnered up with Amazon. I haven’t seen any of those.

omg i forgot to mentioned The Boys on my list!!!

I met Homelander, Hughie and Butcher 2 years ago in Toronto. They were awesome haha I have a friend that worked on the show too.

I just love how... how i have a very sick mind and while watching anything part of me always go "wouldnt it be fvcked up if they did this here haha"... but in The Boys... they'd literally do it lol constantly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That’s the one streaming site I don’t have. Don’t you have to pay extra to not have ads? Makes me not want to get it on principle. 

Correct, BUT, with ads it’s super cheap. 

Ive signed up a few times, whenever I see a show I want to watch. 

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

Nice man! Daryl is a legend. I saw Glassjaw play a show with Saves the Day so half the band played 2 sets because they share 2 members. Hell of a show. Also saw Head Automatica a few times, and Finch. Not sure if you listen to them but Daryl worked with Nate on his screaming and Daryl actually did some singing on Project Mayhem and Grey Matter. Great songs for that screamo movement that got me into the harder stuff down the road.

I saw ETID at the School of Rock in maybe Hackensack? It was insane, the stage was like 6inches off the ground, it was more of a small step, but yeah, you can imagine how crazy that was.

I haven't listened to Finch in quite some time but I've seen them in the past too. School of rock was great, was in that warehouse district but it was great getting free parking all the time. I saw tons of shows there and pretty sure I was at that one too, I never keep track of that stuff so venues and dates are a blur sometimes but we've probably definitely been at a show at the same time in the past lol 

Not too many venues allow stage diving anymore and we have lost some great venues over the years but our area is really spoiled rotten in terms of great venues between NJ and the city and even Philly or Long Island(my last resort cause the drive sucks) it's almost impossible to miss any tours of any genre of music. Asbury Park venue wise has some great places too, stony pony, the updated Asbury lanes and the newer house of independents are all great. They really fixed that area up nicely over the years though I do miss all the free parking cause none of the old coin slot style meters use to work and you could just park there and never get a ticket lol now they got that fancier parking system where ya can even pay for parking on an app lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The day we went was the hottest of our trip, it hit triple digits. We usually try to restrict sugary type snacks to one a day when we are on vacation, because lets face it, in a theme park you could go crazy with sugary drinks, cookies, ice cream, you name it.

That rule got bent because of frozen Butterbeer. We each had our first at like 9:30 AM because it was right there, and man, is that stuff good. We each had another around 1 pm, after lunch. I could have skipped lunch and gone straight to the frozen Butterbeer. And its possible the three of us shared one additional frozen Butterbeer on the way out of the park. I don't know what the hell its made out of (other than its not butter or beer), but its amazing, and even more so on a 100 degree day I bet. 

Out of the stuff I've tried there frozen butterbeer is by far my favorite with the soft serve ice cream version being second lol regular third and last time down there they actually had a hot(temperature) version too and that was ok but I'm not so big on hot drinks. 

I've actually gotten these, Flying Cauldron Butterbeers at Wegmans a few times and it's probably the closest thing ya can get to the real thing at universal but I haven't tried to make a frozen one, feels like it will be impossible to recreate at home lol

61pRak-RO8L._SX385_.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler
6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Get out was fantastic, i enjoyed the first 20 or so minutes of Us but then it fell off a cliff for me, does anyone know if we have spoiler tags here? @DevilMinder? I'd say more but want to put spoiler tags not to ruin it for people who plan on watching.

WWE Studios actually had a hand in Oculus too but that movie turned out to be great, the son in that is actually Dick Grayson in Titans now too, he's absolutely perfect casting for that. Doom Patrol is great too. Creep was definitely borderline for me, the camera stuff gives me a headache at times but he was great at playing that part. I still have to watch Dr. Sleep and that new the stand series. I enjoyed Ma in a hilarious this is so ridiculous way lol

I haven't read any Spawn in ages but definitely liked that when I was younger but really don't remember anything from the movie, I remember enjoying the animated series. That new one sounds great though, would be awesome to have a really well done movie. 

This the Blumhouse/Amazon deal i was talking about... 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blumhouse-movies-amazon-1234733954/

https://www.amazon.com/adlp/welcometotheblumhouse?tag=wwwfccom-20

Testing spoiler tag

@Satans Hockey There is one, its the eyeball in the editor (top right)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh wow. i didn't know about this function... i'm gonna test it

Don't open this guys! I'm warning youuuuuuuuuu

Hide contents

thanks-i-hate-clipping-my-teeth-before-i-eat-ice-61526697.png.3fbe257544cecf1b43753b66e09a10fb.png

I’m reporting you to the Mounties. You simply just have to be put on some type of list up there, and need to be monitored. :ninja:

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh wow. i didn't know about this function... i'm gonna test it

Don't open this guys! I'm warning youuuuuuuuuu

Reveal hidden contents

thanks-i-hate-clipping-my-teeth-before-i-eat-ice-61526697.png.3fbe257544cecf1b43753b66e09a10fb.png

Suddenly I want to spend the next two hours of my life sucking down an entire roll of Sensodyne...

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Testing spoiler tag

@Satans Hockey There is one, its the eyeball in the editor (top right)

Are you on a pc? I see why I've never seen it before, its not on mobile but if I switch to desktop mode I see the eyeball. Not a big deal though, thanks! It's a great feature for talking about movies or tv shows. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Anyone up to date and watching Wandavision? 

Spoiler

Tonight's episode really picked up. Seeing Pietro being the actor from the Fox X-men movies was a great moment and the "She recasted Pietro" joke was funny. As an overall show I'm really not a fan of any of the sitcom stuff. The first 3 episodes were such a slog for me but the last 2 have been much better even if I don't care for the sitcom stuff on there either but it's nice to finally get to see what's really going on outside the town and Vision and the other people starting to realize there's something seriously wrong. 

Edited by Satans Hockey