What are you top 10 entertainment outside of hockey?

SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

A fellow sega cd owner! I shouldn’t have ripped on stereo since I thought sewer shark and that Sherlock Holmes games was cool. 

Lmao yeah, I owned the first version of the Sega CD...played the crap outta Sewer Shark.  I found the Sherlock Holmes game kinda cumbersome at the time.  Back then the feeling was that full motion video within games was going to blow up...instead, it fizzled out.  The EA NHL game for Sega CD was memorable because the crowd noise was so much more realistic.  There was a pretty cool Batman game too...especially the driving sections.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lmao yeah, I owned the first version of the Sega CD...played the crap outta Sewer Shark.  I found the Sherlock Holmes game kinda cumbersome at the time.  Back then the feeling was that full motion video within games was going to blow up...instead, it fizzled out.  The EA NHL game for Sega CD was memorable because the crowd noise was so much more realistic.  There was a pretty cool Batman game too...especially the driving sections.

Yea it was a gimmick, but also cool at the time. Any chance you’re a fellow turbo grafx-16 owner as well? I got it for 99$ at kb at it’s tail end, although it’s lifespan was very short. 

TG-16 was of the few systems that I never owned.  Never had a Super Nintendo either (obviously had the Genesis, and even the Nomad, which was a portable Genesis).

From that point on, I had an Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation (and later a PSOne with its own screen), Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, then an Xbox 360.  I pretty much stopped there...once we had my daughter, I had much less time to play (in the best way possible).  I play her Nintendo Switch sometimes (bought it for her Xmas 2019).

I have three full-size arcade cabs in my basement as well...two are multi-game cabinets (cabaret-style, so they’re a little smaller than a full-size can) and relatively modern (though full of 70s and 80s titles) and the other is a legit Space Invaders Deluxe, now over 40 years old (but working perfectly, thanks to me maintaining it).  I should probably take pictures of these and throw them up here.  

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Okay so videogames... I'm not big on videogames in general but i've played some of these a LOT and they'll always have a spot in my heart lol

1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater
  2. Super Mario World
  3. Megaman X
  4. Earthworm Jim
  5. Turtles in Time
  6. Super Mario Bros 3
  7. Zelda Ocarina of Time
  8. Star Wars Battlefront 2
  9. Jedi Fallen Order
  10. NHL wtv (to be fair i have a pretty strong love/hate relationship with this one)

I mostly like oldschool stuff.. I have a Freddy's Nightmare pinball, the Terminator 2 arcade game with the guns and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 players arcade here but i mostly just play when i have people over.

The bold is my favorite game of all time. Again, I won’t make a ranked list, but some of my other favorites besides Ocarina of Time, are Mike Tyson’s Punch-out, Goldeneye 007, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II, Resident Evil, any of the early 2000’s EA NHL games (where I made my one friend who liked hockey and played with me absolutely hate Elias lol), Knights of the Old Republic, Halo, The Last of Us, Uncharted (1-4).

I’m sure I’m missing a bunch. I honestly don’t play video games much these days (think the last one was Last of Us part II), but I did love them back in the day, even if I wouldn’t consider myself to have ever been a serious “gamer.”  

I’m definitely not a gamer, I played as a kid and all but I was never really obsessed.

That said, Skyrim and Fallout are right in my wheelhouse. Games that are open world, you can walk around doing essentially nothing for hours at a time, or you can do side quests, and oh yeah, you can play the game too. 

Probably time to start a new game again. Maybe time to play Oblivion again. 

Aside from those series and Far Cry, anyone have any suggestions on games that are similar?

Played Oblivion for a while...didn’t get too too far into it.  On one playthrough, I just decided that I was going to kill everything that I saw...wound up in prison for so long that once I got out, the season had changed (it was now snowing in the game, upon my release) and apparently several years had passed.  I think I would have more fun watching someone else play it.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Played Oblivion for a while...didn’t get too too far into it.  On one playthrough, I just decided that I was going to kill everything that I saw...wound up in prison for so long that once I got out, the season had changed (it was now snowing in the game, upon my release) and apparently several years had passed.  I think I would have more fun watching someone else play it.  

I can’t really explain it, something about that format that suits me very well. You can play at whatever pace you feel like playing at that day. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I can’t really explain it, something about that format that suits me very well. You can play at whatever pace you feel like playing at that day. 

I almost feel like I should’ve spent more time with it.  You can play it so many different ways.  Incredibly deep game.  For me, when it comes to games of this type, I almost need to remind myself that there’s no “right or wrong” way to play them.  To realize they’re meant to be completely nonlinear.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I almost feel like I should’ve spent more time with it.  You can play it so many different ways.  Incredibly deep game.  For me, when it comes to games of this type, I almost need to remind myself that there’s no “right or wrong” way to play them.  To realize they’re meant to be completely nonlinear.  

The funny part is, I bought a used copy of Oblivion for $8 at GameStop, based only on the box. I figured ok, I’ll take a shot at it, if it’s stupid it was only $8. Then I played it for like a year before I finished it. Then Skyrim came out and I did the same. When I bought an XBox One, I got the one bundled with Fallout because I knew it was the same company and I hoped gameplay would be similar, which it was. 

I have spent a lot of time between Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, 4 and New Vegas. 

I don’t play the online multiplayer versions, that’s not what I’m interested in. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m definitely not a gamer, I played as a kid and all but I was never really obsessed.

That said, Skyrim and Fallout are right in my wheelhouse. Games that are open world, you can walk around doing essentially nothing for hours at a time, or you can do side quests, and oh yeah, you can play the game too. 

Probably time to start a new game again. Maybe time to play Oblivion again. 

Aside from those series and Far Cry, anyone have any suggestions on games that are similar?

You should try Witcher3 before oblivion, I never play and it was dark and entertaining enough to keep it interesting.

1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

You should try Witcher3 before oblivion, I never play and it was dark and entertaining enough to keep it interesting.

I tried Witcher 3 but I couldn’t get into the game controls. Maybe I should give it another look. I would prefer something new to re-playing a game. 

• Like 1

You might also like Red Dead Redemption. I didn't play the first but the second one was solid. You can definitely get lost in side missions and just straight up hunting if you want to take a break from the main story.

I do like Cyberpunk, which is similar to Fallout with less looting. That game has turned into quite the disaster though with all the bugs. I play on PC so it isn't nearly as bad for me, but I heard there were some game breaking bugs in an update so I'm putting that game to the side for a while.

Control is a pretty good game too. More linear than the others but a fun 3rd person shooter with a decent story and telekinetic powers. Graphics and effects are awesome too.

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

You might also like Red Dead Redemption. I didn't play the first but the second one was solid. You can definitely get lost in side missions and just straight up hunting if you want to take a break from the main story.

I do like Cyberpunk, which is similar to Fallout with less looting. That game has turned into quite the disaster though with all the bugs. I play on PC so it isn't nearly as bad for me, but I heard there were some game breaking bugs in an update so I'm putting that game to the side for a while.

Control is a pretty good game too. More linear than the others but a fun 3rd person shooter with a decent story and telekinetic powers. Graphics and effects are awesome too.

I did play both Red Dead Redemption games. They don’t seem like ones I would re-do. Basically Grand Theft Auto on horses. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

The bold is my favorite game of all time. Again, I won’t make a ranked list, but some of my other favorites besides Ocarina of Time, are Mike Tyson’s Punch-out, Goldeneye 007, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II, Resident Evil, any of the early 2000’s EA NHL games (where I made my one friend who liked hockey and played with me absolutely hate Elias lol), Knights of the Old Republic, Halo, The Last of Us, Uncharted (1-4).

I’m sure I’m missing a bunch. I honestly don’t play video games much these days (think the last one was Last of Us part II), but I did love them back in the day, even if I wouldn’t consider myself to have ever been a serious “gamer.”  

Ocarina of time is the only Zelda game i ever played too. I never got into RPGs so anything before OOT didnt really interest me. When the Wii U came out my #1 reason of getting one was that the girl at the store told me they were going to release OOT on the store. Which they only did like.... 2 years after i got the Wii... i couldnt fvcking wait. Then i played like 20 minutes and never played again lol typical.

Goldeneye 007 was amazing. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter i played a lot but same thing than the NHL games... strong love / hate relationship with them lol I basically turn into MB3 when were losing games lol I destroyed so many controller.

I started the Last of Us a few months ago, it was fun but i got busy and never went back.

I had Track and Field for the Atari 800 computer...came with its own controller (three buttons, two for running, and a third for jumping/throwing).  Obviously it was built to take a pounding...T&F required such quick hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I had Track and Field for the Atari 800 computer...came with its own controller (three buttons, two for running, and a third for jumping/throwing).  Obviously it was built to take a pounding...T&F required such quick hands.

That game made your thumb and wrist ache.

24 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

That game made your thumb and wrist ache.

Yeah liked it then...not so sure that kind of gameplay would be fun now.

Remember Marble Madness?  That was a fun one back in the day (you could play two-player...had trakballs for controllers.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

TG-16 was of the few systems that I never owned.  Never had a Super Nintendo either (obviously had the Genesis, and even the Nomad, which was a portable Genesis).

From that point on, I had an Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation (and later a PSOne with its own screen), Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, then an Xbox 360.  I pretty much stopped there...once we had my daughter, I had much less time to play (in the best way possible).  I play her Nintendo Switch sometimes (bought it for her Xmas 2019).

I have three full-size arcade cabs in my basement as well...two are multi-game cabinets (cabaret-style, so they’re a little smaller than a full-size can) and relatively modern (though full of 70s and 80s titles) and the other is a legit Space Invaders Deluxe, now over 40 years old (but working perfectly, thanks to me maintaining it).  I should probably take pictures of these and throw them up here.  

how did you skip the snes?! one of, if not the best console ever made. then again this is nostalgia talking. but i do still think 16 bit games hold up well. 

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

how did you skip the snes?! one of, if not the best console ever made. then again this is nostalgia talking. but i do still think 16 bit games hold up well. 

Already had the Genesis, and back then my funds were considerably...less.

Agree that just like some “Golden Age” arcade games, a number of 16-bit games hold up rather well.  Some of the early 32-bit 3D games (with low-res blocky textures, rampant pop-up, and texture warping) most definitely do not.

Oh, and on a side note, it was impressive how much developers (like Rare) were able to squeeze out of both the Super Nintendo and Genesis at the end of each system’s life...Donkey Kong Country, Vectormen...great great stuff.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Already had the Genesis, and back then my funds were considerably...less.

Agree that just like some “Golden Age” arcade games, a number of 16-bit games hold up rather well.  Some of the early 32-bit 3D games (with low-res blocky textures, rampant pop-up, and texture warping) most definitely do not.

Oh, and on a side note, it was impressive how much developers (like Rare) were able to squeeze out of both the Super Nintendo and Genesis at the end of each system’s life...Donkey Kong Country, Vectormen...great great stuff.

leave out 007 and perfect dark?! the wcw game was great. n64 was THE multiplayer console. sh!t i think the devils won a cup during that time. 

Yeah liked it then...not so sure that kind of gameplay would be fun now.

Remember Marble Madness?  That was a fun one back in the day (you could play two-player...had trakballs for controllers.

I remember it as an arcade video game and a home game for the Nintendo. That was a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Video games

1. Rocket League 
2. NHL '94
3. Super Mario Galaxy 1
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Tiger Woods PGA Golf
6. Lego City Undercover
7. Tecmo Bowl
8. Lode Runner
9. M.U.LE.
10. Track & Field

I am addicted to Rocket League. 

I was late to the Rocket League craze and I see why it took off.  It's so mindless but it also takes an insane amount of skill.