Jump to content

What are you top 10 entertainment outside of hockey?


SterioDesign
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Dark was fantastic. And subtitles should never be a reason for someone to not try something new. You’re are missing out on a whole world full of great movies and shows if you limit yourself to just your own language. I loved Bong Joon-Ho’s comments about that when he won the Oscar for Parasite. 

Oh agreed, I just know some people who when presented with a choice between a so-so english show and and great foreign language show would choose the former. But I was able to get my parents (whose typical fare is more the Downton Abbey crowd) into Dark so that should tell you that anyone can do it!

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've only watched a few episodes of Dark but I've been enjoying it so far. When I originally tried watching foreign films and shows I tried the English dubs but the words not syncing up annoyed me too much so I switched to subtitles. It does take a little bit to get use to at first. 

Yeah for Dark I really appreciated the subtitles because it forced me to focus on the show and it's a show that needs a lot of attention, there's so many details you can miss. Plus the german actors are just amazing in that and the dub does them a disservice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

i just finished watching Mighty Ducks 2 and 3.

Not to ruin anyone's childhood here but... the flying V against Germany in D2 was clearly offside.

Thank god there was no instant replay back then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Thank god there was no instant replay back then. 

I'm thinking of doing an episode on our podcast on the Mighty Ducks trilogy but make a list of all the times they did something against the rules or doesn't make sense lol I still LOVE those movies though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm thinking of doing an episode on our podcast on the Mighty Ducks trilogy but make a list of all the times they did something against the rules or doesn't make sense lol I still LOVE those movies though

It’s like anything else, watch a movie about teaching, teachers will tell you all the things that aren’t accurate. It’s why I can’t watch lawyer shows/movies. 

I mean, a player lassoed a dude. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s like anything else, watch a movie about teaching, teachers will tell you all the things that aren’t accurate. It’s why I can’t watch lawyer shows/movies. 

I mean, a player lassoed a dude. 

Well Bombay is also a lawyer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Bombay is also a lawyer

Correct. And when a lawyer is an alcoholic, they don’t make him the coach of a children’s hockey team lol. Having an alcoholic work with children is probably the last thing that would ever happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like to... walk. When we lived in Moscow me and my wife walk through every little street and alleyway in historical part of the city. Something the same is going with St Petersburgh now. When i was living in Moscow area i was walking from town to town, travel on trains etc. I like to move my body from place to place. Past summer we walked on 150 km(its about 90-100 miles) in one walky week. 

I cant say  i`m a real true hard movie fan. We watch about 2 movies in a mounth in past time.  Movie is a short story format and i think humans havn`t much in the tank to tell new stories. And when someone finally find some ideas there is not enough time and space to make something really significant. A typical beginning, sometimes an interesting second act, a clear ending from the dynamics of previous events. The reason why I like event movies more. Leone`s movies, Unfogiven, Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Children of Men,  Shaun of the Dead(all of Wright`s movies), Mad Max, Raid, No Country for Old Man, Hateful eight(all of Tarantino`s moveis), Sicario, Revenant, Bone Tomahawk, 1917 etc. I like movies movies based on simple ideas with clear working structure. 

I am a big fan of animation movies. This is a real magic that people are used to and have stopped noticing. My favorites are Les tripples de Belleville, Coraline, Perfect Blue, Следствие ведут колобки, Miyadzyaki movies, Papurika, Tenshi no tamago, mr Fox, Over the Garden wall, Adventure time etc and etc. 

I like tv shows but animation shows i like more. South park, BoJack and Rick and Morty are my favorite. I watch a lot of tv shows. I`m remote worker and sometimes I watch tv shows when I work. Atlanta, Mindhunters and Kingdom are recents I like. I watched Kobra Kai, I like first season but i dont like dialogs in second season.  In general, I should note that TV shows are getting worse, filmed in the US.

I am a gamer person, but I haven`t enough time to spend with games. 4-5 hours in a week. This is all that I can afford, but from time to time I always play, at least I need it for work. I`m a fan of old classic role games Arcanum, Fallout 1/2, Planescape. Universe make a gift for me, thanks God that Disco Elysium exist.  Recent projects that I liked are Inside, Hollow knight, Ori, Darkwood.

In the last ten years, I've listened Mastodon, Qotsa, Gojira, Brad Mehldau, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mars Volta, Steven Wilson, Puscifer, Riley Walker the most

I cant say i`m a real book reader, i read from time to time. My favorite are Dostoevsky(ofcourse, it`s simple for any person in the world), Demons is his favorite for me, Fowles(Magus is my his favorite), Llosa(The War of the End of the world is my favorite book from him), Camus(La Peste is my favorite novel from him). 

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 6:36 PM, MB3 said:

I spent six consecutive days last week listening only to the Stone Temple Pilots; I was pretty bummed when Weiland died. I saw him live after he broke off from STP at the House of Blues in Orlando, he played in front of maybe 20 people. Got to shake his hand before the show and thought "yeah, no chance he actually preforms." couldn't talk, stand up, anything. And then the lights come on and this guy blows the doors off the building. Different breed.

This is fun. Great call, SD. Sorry for ad-libbing the format. 

Dean/Bobby (Deleo)  lived across the street from me in Point Pleasant Beach.  They're still good  friends with a couple of my younger brothers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Guadana...I’m a walker too (speedwalking...it’s almost a jogging pace).  I have an Apple Watch (since June 2019), and starting in September 2019, I started keeping a log of all of my miles...in 2020, I walked a total of just under 3950 miles.  I’d like to reach at least 4K in 2021.  I try to average 10-12 miles per day...it varies from month to month, depending on weather mostly.  Cold doesn’t really bother me all that much...I’ve pretty much walked in everything from 10 degrees F to 100 degrees F.  Extreme heat is tough mostly due to getting soaked with sweat some days.  40-60 degrees F is my “sweet spot” range.

The Apple Watch allows you to set a “Move Calories” goal, to reach each day...mine is at 1000, but over the last year I’ve averaged almost 1590 per day.  I’ve reached my minimum goal 524 straight days...that streak has kept me going on days where I felt like I didn’t have it in me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Guadana...I’m a walker too (speedwalking...it’s almost a jogging pace).  I have an Apple Watch (since June 2019), and starting in September 2019, I started keeping a log of all of my miles...in 2020, I walked a total of just under 3950 miles.  I’d like to reach at least 4K in 2021.  I try to average 10-12 miles per day...it varies from month to month, depending on weather mostly.  Cold doesn’t really bother me all that much...I’ve pretty much walked in everything from 10 degrees F to 100 degrees F.  Extreme heat is tough mostly due to getting soaked with sweat some days.  40-60 degrees F is my “sweet spot” range.

The Apple Watch allows you to set a “Move Calories” goal, to reach each day...mine is at 1000, but over the last year I’ve averaged almost 1590 per day.  I’ve reached my minimum goal 524 straight days...that streak has kept me going on days where I felt like I didn’t have it in me.  

3950 miles is wow. I dont make a log, but once i did on google maps. In 2018 when we live our first year here we walked +/- 20-25 km per day full summer. This is my dream to walk 10-15 km per day but i work and study. And it cost me 10-14 hours per day for drawing. 

I love to walk when cold is on the street. Especially when sun is on. But we live in "russian London", there a lot of rainy days. And i`m not walking in rain because of arthritis)

Some years ago I weighed 95 kg(209 lb), but thanks to walking and constant pull-ups, my weight is kept at 75 kg(165 lb).  I don't count calories, but I try to eat sensibly. It is strange, but drawing is very energy-consuming. I can lose half a kilo - a whole kilo, when I draw all day from morning to evening and then sleep for 10 hours after. If I don't do 20 km on the weekend, then the next week it becomes much harder for me to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. And when a lawyer is an alcoholic, they don’t make him the coach of a children’s hockey team lol. Having an alcoholic work with children is probably the last thing that would ever happen. 

Easily explained with: well, it was the 90’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just started watching Gamorrah on HBO Max. Has anyone seen this yet? I think it was on Netflix first. This show is amazing. It’s based in Naples, Italy and it’s about the crime family there. It’s filmed in Italian but you can watch it dubbed (Italian is better). 

Show is up there with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Just amazing and I’m only halfway through season 2.

I highly recommend it to people who like mafia/crime entertainment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I just started watching Gamorrah on HBO Max. Has anyone seen this yet? I think it was on Netflix first. This show is amazing. It’s based in Naples, Italy and it’s about the crime family there. It’s filmed in Italian but you can watch it dubbed (Italian is better). 

Show is up there with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Just amazing and I’m only halfway through season 2.

I highly recommend it to people who like mafia/crime entertainment.

Yep. Gomorrah is fantastic. I mentioned it in my list as well. You are in for a wild ride if you’re only in the middle of season 2...

That show takes no time to breathe (in a good way). There is never even a bit of filler. Just balls to the wall craziness every episode. I resorted to other means to watch most of it. I got lucky with season 4 though, as some absolute boss had the entire season (with English subs) on his channel, but it ofc got taken down.

The acting is top notch across the board. Particularly the guy that plays Ciro. Ginny was actually just on the newest season of Fargo.

It’s not as good as Gomorrah, but I also recommend Suburra: Blood on Rome on Netflix to anyone that likes these types of shows. It’s actually loosely based off the film Suburra (which is much better than the show), which was directed by Stefano Sollima who has done a bunch of episodes of Gomorrah. There’s also a Gomorrah film (same setting but different characters and story). I’d rate them Gomorrah series>Suburra film>Suburra series>Gomorrah film.

Oh and the OST by Mokadelic for the Gomorrah series is probably my #1 favorite of all time. It often gives me chills when that music starts playing towards the end of the episodes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. Gomorrah is fantastic. I mentioned it in my list as well. You are in for a wild ride if you’re only in the middle of season 2...

That show takes no time to breathe (in a good way). There is never even a bit of filler. Just balls to the wall craziness every episode. I resorted to other means to watch most of it. I got lucky with season 4 though, as some absolute boss had the entire season (with English subs) on his channel, but it ofc got taken down.

The acting is top notch across the board. Particularly the guy that plays Ciro. Ginny was actually just on the newest season of Fargo.

It’s not as good as Gomorrah, but I also recommend Suburra: Blood on Rome on Netflix to anyone that likes these types of shows. It’s actually loosely based off the film Suburra (which is much better than the show), which was directed by Stefano Sollima who has done a bunch of episodes of Gomorrah. There’s also a Gomorrah film (same setting but different characters and story). I’d rate them Gomorrah series>Suburra film>Suburra series>Gomorrah film.

Oh and the OST by Mokadelic for the Gomorrah series is probably my #1 favorite of all time. It often gives me chills when that music starts playing towards the end of the episodes.

 

I love the music in the show. It’s all so atmospheric like Trent Reznor’s score in Social Network. It just goes so good. I downloaded that song two days ago haha.

There’s actually a spin-off movie to the series called The Immortal. It’s all about Ciro and is apparently both a prequel and a sequel. I can’t find it anywhere though which is probably for the better because I think it takes place after the events of season 3 or 4.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I love the music in the show. It’s all so atmospheric like Trent Reznor’s score in Social Network. It just goes so good. I downloaded that song two days ago haha.

There’s actually a spin-off movie to the series called The Immortal. It’s all about Ciro and is apparently both a prequel and a sequel. I can’t find it anywhere though which is probably for the better because I think it takes place after the events of season 3 or 4.

Yeah, the movie is definitely on my radar. Be careful digging around online btw. I had a pretty significant event from S4 spoiled for me. People are a$$holes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I did.

Well its hard to say after one episode. It looked good visually but i think the angle they took with Clarice will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I think that’s a fair assessment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.