GDT: Devils @ Rags 7:00 PM MSG, MSG+

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol oh for fvcks sake I just caught up on the thread. 

NJDevs when Zacha goes scoreless three games in a row: “CUT THIS LOSER.”

NJDevs when Zacha starts to develop into a solid player as a 23 year old on a great contract: “omg we should trade him.”

No, the New Jersey Devils should not consider trading their 23 year old best penalty killer who’s finally turning into a legitimately good NHLer. Travis Zajac is 36 years old and on an expiring deal, and Pavel Zacha is signed for another two seasons at a small cap hit, and will be a 26-year old RFA at the end of it. He fits with the age of the core and he’s played wing in the past. 

It’s a valid point, if you figure out where to play him in the interim and you plan to part ways with Zajac, it’d be good to hang onto him. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Who are you benching in place of Kyle Palmieri? How do you fit him into the top-6? 

It’s not about “enough forward depth.” It’s about “one dimensional player who hasn’t brought that one dimension since last season.” He’s slow. He’s got the hockey IQ of a squirrel. He plays no defense. He backchecks with no effort. When he’s not putting the puck in the net at a blistering rate, he’s useless. And, to that note?

He’s. Not. Putting. The. Puck. In. The. Net. 

I get you. He needs to score goals to have value. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, and would be fine letting him fight for playing time with Johnsson and Kuokkanen. I don't think Palmieri is as bad as you say .... my leash is longer than yours. 

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

I get you. He needs to score goals to have value. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, and would be fine letting him fight for playing time with Johnsson and Kuokkanen. I don't think Palmieri is as bad as you say .... my leash is longer than yours. 

MB3 really doesn’t like Palms...he’s always been very critical of him. 

What is comes down to is that Palms has put up incredibly similar rate stats (per 82 GP) over the last five seasons.  The Devils aren’t going to just give up on him after 9 GP.  Especially if the plan is to move him.  

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MB3 really doesn’t like Palms...he’s always been very critical of him. 

What is comes down to is that Palms has put up incredibly similar rate stats (per 82 GP) over the last five seasons.  The Devils aren’t going to just give up on him after 9 GP.  Especially if the plan is to move him.  

Not to mention nine games after he hasn’t played a game in ten months, then got COVID. Most of you guys are way around the bend with Palms, he isn’t going to finish the season with zero goals. But not everyone can just jump back in seamlessly like Blackwood either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

When you look at this lineup, top-to-bottom, who are you taking out for Nico and Zajac? 

Because right now I'm moving Zacha up to a top-6 winger spot, Zajac back to 3c, and telling Kyle Palmieri to sit his ass down. Kuok has played too well to bench. Merkley has played too well to bench.

Kyle Palmieri can not play a bottom-six role, and he does not deserve a top-6 role. @Colorado Rockies 1976, my mans. Tell me I'm wrong.

Mango-Hughes-Bratt
Shara-Hischier-Zacha
Kuokkonen-Zajac-Merkley
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

We're going to be one fvcking hell of a hockey team in a few years. 

One good game doesn’t make Zacha a top six winger. Jonsson and Sharangovich are decent players, the latter definitely has potential but they have three points in ten games each (same as Palm), let’s pump the brakes here. It’s not like we have a ton of proven guys where you can just throw away a 25 goal, 55 point player based off nine games in the ultimate wild card of a season. Track record has to matter somewhat.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

How was Jack's play last night?

I couldn't watch last night (typical) and he didn't feature much in any of the highlights. From the sounds of it he had Covid the worst out of the group that came back last night.

Was he still playing at speed or did he look a bit off? 

12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

How was Jack's play last night?

I couldn't watch last night (typical) and he didn't feature much in any of the highlights. From the sounds of it he had Covid the worst out of the group that came back last night.

Was he still playing at speed or did he look a bit off? 

His skating looked as good as usual, but he was making some questionable passes, and he had 0 SOG. Probably his worst game of the season so far, but he wasn’t terrible by any means. Just wasn’t really driving play like he has been. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

His skating looked as good as usual, but he was making some questionable passes, and he had 0 SOG. Probably his worst game of the season so far, but he wasn’t terrible by any means. Just wasn’t really driving play like he has been. 

Thanks, hoping it doesn't have any long term effects. 

Over here in the PL Chelsea midfielder Kia Havertz caught COVID , and was similarly unwell like Jack and he really struggled when he came back. 

I know Jack said about needing to get back to feeling good and sorting his nutrition. 

Really hope it hasn't broken his flow. 

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah im not much of a Palms hater or anything. But it's really hard to sugarcoat his play this season so far

No one is sugarcoating anything.  He’s been less bad lately, but still not good.

MB3 is ready to bail on him after 9 games.  That’s fine, but the Devils surely won’t be that hasty, for the main reasons that I’ve pointed out...the consistency in his G and A through five seasons here, and the fact that he could be dealt.  I doubt he ever gets benched for more than a game...if he never gets going, I think Fitz deals him and just gets whatever he can (possibly for a player in a similar situation).  Good news is that Palms isn’t so far removed from productive seasons that he should bring back something decent (or with a little upside).

1 hour ago, BlueSkirt said:

Palms is not getting traded for a pick in this season with 46 games in 84 nights.   Depth will be the key this year. 

so unless one of our AHL players can fill Palms role, like it or not,  he's here until the deadline at least

For a meh draft pick way ahead of the deadline, no, don't see Fitz just dumping Palms.   

For another NHLer who (like Palms) has a solid track record but has fallen on hard times, that I can see happening in a month or so, if Palms is simply not showing any signs of getting it going...or if other guys are playing well enough that a case can be for them getting more ice time than they're currently getting.  But I need to see both of those things happen first, over several games.  

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For a meh draft pick way ahead of the deadline, no, don't see Fitz just dumping Palms.   

For another NHLer who (like Palms) has a solid track record but has fallen on hard times, that I can see happening in a month or so, if Palms is simply not showing any signs of getting it going...or if other guys are playing well enough that a case can be for them getting more ice time than they're currently getting.  But I need to see both of those things happen first, over several games.  

In terms of Draft picks this year's draft is meant to be weak, combined imwithtbhe fact that scouting has taken a hit , so if he does flip Palms for draft picks you are looking at trying to get a return in 2022. 

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

In terms of Draft picks this year's draft is meant to be weak, combined imwithtbhe fact that scouting has taken a hit , so if he does flip Palms for draft picks you are looking at trying to get a return in 2022. 

That can work out quite nicely sometimes (a pick further out)...like when Lou dealt Tom Kurvers in 1989 for a 1991 first-rounder (we know what that pick turned into).

Not expecting that kind of luck of course...but the good news is the Devils aren't "pick starved" at the moment...they currently have at least one pick in every round over the next three seasons (23 total).  So it's not like they necessarily have to try to nab a pick for this year's draft, to make up for lack of picks.  

Yeah I don't think you move Palms, because eventually someone is going to get hurt with this ridiculous every-other-day schedule for the next two months.

He SHOULD be a healthy scratch though at times if he's absolutely useless out there.  And, unlike coaches of the past, I think I trust Ruff to actually do it.

Just be glad they didn't give Palms the "C" - we'd have another Salvador-type situation on our hands here.

No there’s no world where Palms should be a healthy scratch, that’s the hyperbole that makes the ripping of him silly and spiteful. It’s one thing if you want to trade him and not resign him, but what’s the point of scratching Palm for Nick Merkley or another plug fill in exactly? There aren’t twelve better forwards than Palm on the roster no matter how much anyone hates him, how many other wingers do we have that even put up 25 goals and 55 points? None that you know for sure can do that. Hopefully a Bratt or a Sharangovich can do that someday but none of them have done it yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

How are trades even going to work with covid protocol anyway? I assume the player can’t just immediately join his new team and start practicing/playing without coming up negative on however many tests. 

Probably the same way when we picked up Dell or signed Sami and Bratt. Maybe they shorten the trade deadline trades quarantine a little bit if a player can drive from one place to another but they probably will wait and see what the country is like during that time too. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

How are trades even going to work with covid protocol anyway? I assume the player can’t just immediately join his new team and start practicing/playing without coming up negative on however many tests. 

Probably the same way when we picked up Dell or signed Sami and Bratt. Maybe they shorten the trade deadline trades quarantine a little bit if a player can drive from one place to another but they probably will wait and see what the country is like during that time too.