GDT: Devils @ Boston 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Back in the CAA days, I’d usually just park in the Giants Stadium lot and walk across that rickety old bridge (which of course thankfully was replaced), whenever possible.  That was always the best way to avoid the traffic.

And yeah in and out of Newark is almost always a breeze.

That is true, but you had to freeze your ass off doing it (or, more importantly, your girlfriend’s ass). 

Plus I was like 90% certain that bridge would collapse one day. 

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That is true, but you had to freeze your ass off doing it (or, more importantly, your girlfriend’s ass). 

Plus I was like 90% certain that bridge would collapse one day. 

The freezing part was the trade off (and was wondering if this was going to be the day the bridge finally gave out).  And yeah I wasn't always sure that I has an ass left some nights...or ears, fingertips, my nose...  

Once my friend called me up on a Friday night at 7:15 and asked if I wanted to go to a Devils game. (We lived about 10 minutes away from the arena).  We got there, parked in the Giants stadium lot ran across the bridge.(Clear shot no-one else on the bridge at that time.) Went to the ticket office got tickets.  We were in our seats about 5 minutes before the anthem. (puck drop was at 7:35 in those days)😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

As I recall it, it would at least sometimes depend when you showed up. The later you were, the more likely you were walking the planks lol. 

Coming from Wayne, getting off of Route 3 at the stadium and just accepting we were taking the bridge was the path of least resistance.   

• Like 2

Fondest memory of the cattle corral bridge was walking back across it with my dad after the Devils won the Cup in 1995.  It was so loud in there, you couldn't hear yourself think.  I was convinced the people banging on the corrugated metal sides were going to cause a panel to break loose and fall onto the roadway below.  

That thing was originally constructed as as temporary bridge with a life span of approximately 5 years.  It was there for almost 20.  Gotta love NJ.

• Like 2
  • Shocking 1

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Fondest memory of the cattle corral bridge was walking back across it with my dad after the Devils won the Cup in 1995.  It was so loud in there, you couldn't hear yourself think.  I was convinced the people banging on the corrugated metal sides were going to cause a panel to break loose and fall onto the roadway below.  

That thing was originally constructed as as temporary bridge with a life span of approximately 5 years.  It was there for almost 20.  Gotta love NJ.

Oh man, I had no idea that it was supposed to be temporary...explains a HELL of a lot!  That thing was so rickety by the end of its life...and just beat up.   

On a similar "supposed to be temporary" not, the original Hollywood(land) sign was only supposed to be displayed for 18 months (it was originally put up in 1923, as an advertisement for real estate), but stayed up until well into the late 1970s, where it was noticeably decaying and falling apart for all to see.  It was finally replaced, after several donors offered to cover the cost of a replacement sign.

9 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Just like tolls on the Parkway and the Turnpike were supposed to be temporary too lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Fondest memory of the cattle corral bridge was walking back across it with my dad after the Devils won the Cup in 1995.  It was so loud in there, you couldn't hear yourself think.  

That was pretty awesome, I made that walk, too. My friend and I celebrated at the Arena Diner in Hackensack (permanently closed at the present time) after we left Brendan Byrne.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, Lateralous said:

Coming from Wayne, getting off of Route 3 at the stadium and just accepting we were taking the bridge was the path of least resistance.   

There were times that if you got there too early (and didn't get off at the stadium exit), you were forced to park in the arena...I actually preferred NOT to park in the arena lot.  I would bolt as soon as the game ended (unless they were getting killed, at which point I'd leave earlier) and try to beat as much of the arena traffic as possible...but man was getting out of that place a real bitch.  The Rock is an absolute breeze by comparison.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There were times that if you got there too early (and didn't get off at the stadium exit), you were forced to park in the arena...I actually preferred NOT to park in the arena lot.  I would bolt as soon as the game ended (unless they were getting killed, at which point I'd leave earlier) and try to beat as much of the arena traffic as possible...but man was getting out of that place a real bitch.  The Rock is an absolute breeze by comparison.  

There were times I would get out of a 7:30 game and wouldn't get back to Staten Island until almost midnight.

At the Rock, 7 pm games now, I am home by 10:15. Would be earlier but getting the two blocks from the lot to McCarter Highway takes about 10 minutes.