GDT: Devils vs Sabres - 2/20/21 12:30pm EST

NJDfan1711

I am OK with this loss, hard for me to say. 

New lines with the addition of Zajac and Nico, they had rust.

The team looked tired, it is hard to win a game that you play hard only one period of 3. 

Again Palms Shut up those of us that were complaining about his lack of scoring and effort earlier in the season before the break for COVID. 

How about that goal by PK? His LAST goal before today was 365 days ago. He has been playing better. BTW that shot, goal, had some heat on it. 

On to the Capitals tomorrow. Get some rest Devils, must play a full 60 minutes per game, unlike today.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

The way they looked through 40, or a Hynes coached team, and they lose easily 5-0. Maybe a fluke goal.

this team still fights. Wish they didn’t wait so long to get going today, but man they don’t quit.

As much as I think that Hynes has flaws and needed to go, I still think there’s no overstating how much Cory’s struggles really hurt his team.  Having a young goalie like Mac emerge the way that he has is a major plus that Hynes never really had.  

I don’t think it was ever really an effort issue under Hynes.  

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as I think that Hynes has flaws and needed to go, I still think there’s no overstating how much Cory’s struggles really hurt his team.  Having a young goalie like Mac emerge the way that he has is a major plus that Hynes never really had.  

and said it many times and it's not really to defend Hynes that much. But our goalies were insanely brutal early last season. Even with Scottie Bowman in his prime, as a coach there's really not much you can do when your goalies constantly give up weak goals at the worst possible time. Like, multiple games Cory gave up a goal on the first fvcking shot of the game, that's always breaking the team

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mentality absolutely was though. Hynes’ teams crumbled, a lot, even with goaltending that wasn’t Cory. That cannot be understated. They had very little resilience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Mentality absolutely was though. Hynes’ teams crumbled, a lot, even with goaltending that wasn’t Cory. That cannot be understated. They had very little resilience.

Yep. Gave up leads like no one’s business. How many multi-goal leads did this team blow under Hynes? It was ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Gave up leads like no one’s business. How many multi-goal leads did this team blow under Hynes? It was ridiculous.

but again, insanely bad goaltending was often the reason. Goals were not like... constant breakaways and open net with guys standing in the crease. They were very very often incredibly weak goals

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

but again, insanely bad goaltending was often the reason. Goals were not like... constant breakaways and open net with guys standing in the crease. They were very very often incredibly weak goals

I 100% see/agree with your (and @Colorado Rockies 1976) point, and I’m not discounting the fact that we had multiple variations of Swiss cheese in net, but the teams were also mentally weak under Hynes. 

The team was not coached well, by any stretch of the imagination. It happened here, outside of one amazing season where Hall and Cory aligned, and it’s happening again in Nashville. His teams play noticeably (for lack of a better term) dumber and more fragile. There is zero excuse for Nashville to be such trash. Blame absolutely falls on some notable players, and Poile, but you don’t go from an underperforming powerhouse under Lavi to bottom feeder with so few changes other than one clueless wonder behind the bench.

Sure, I’ll admit I’m looking at things through some rose colored glasses with this team, but we cannot discredit the way Lindy has this team playing. 

Edited by jagknife

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I 100% see/agree with your (and @Colorado Rockies 1976) point, and I’m not discounting the fact that we had multiple variations of Swiss cheese in net, but the teams were also mentally weak under Hynes. 

The team was not coached well, by any stretch of the imagination. It happened here, outside of one amazing season where Hall and Cory aligned, and it’s happening again in Nashville. His teams play noticeably (for lack of a better term) dumber and more fragile. There is zero excuse for Nashville to be such trash. Blame absolutely falls on some notable players, and Poile, but you don’t go from an underperforming powerhouse under Lavi to bottom feeder with so few changes other than one clueless wonder behind the bench.

Sure, I’ll admit I’m looking at things through some rose colored glasses with this team, but we cannot discredit the way Lindy has this team playing. 

I agree, Ruff is definitely helping a lot. I wasn’t looking to discredit him in the slightest.  But once Mac really found his groove last season, even DBA 2.0 suddenly seemed to be “getting more” out of his team, when he had very little to do with the turnaround.

Under Hynes, you had a team that was both not well-coached AND had a goalie (at times multiple goalies) who were just killing them...and absolutely did not have the talent to overcome all of that.  I don’t how any team in that position could find the mental fortitude to rise above.

I think this year’s team sees that their coach has a better idea of how to get more out of them and has them believing in him, a goalie that isn’t going to keep letting them down, and young players who were already here but are playing better and are improving.

And re:  Ruff...he gets next to nothing from Goose, a slow start from Palms, Hischier missing the first 11 games, and still had his team in just about every game.  I’m thrilled with the job he’s done.  

• Like 2