GDT: Buffalo @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+ Reverse Retros?

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So stupid. Every other team has worn theirs by now. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they were originally supposed to wear them tonight; the only think that has changed is the opponent. Lame as fvck.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

If they are saving the RR’s for the 75 fans that may show up, that’s beyond stupid.

It's only a week wait at this point, why not wait for some fans to actually get to eNJoy them in person? Lol

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If they are saving the RR’s for the 75 fans that may show up, that’s beyond stupid.

I'm actually kind of indifferent to this...as long as they wind up getting worn for the same number of dates as originally planned, I'm OK with them not making their debut tonight.  I was looking forward to seeing them on ice sooner than later though...hopefully 3/2 then.  Only one more week. 

And though I know that I will be in the serious minority here, if the Devils ever went with their RR jerseys as their home jerseys, and the Heritage as their away, I wouldn't object...they could either keep the green as is, or swap out the green for black.  For one, I kinda like the idea of red shoulder yokes for both jerseys.  For another, I think both represent an improvement over the current red-and-blacks, which I've never been terribly fond of...used to them, sure, but I still think the previous red-and-blacks were superior. 

I know the Devils' record has been abysmal in the Heritage jerseys, but I think both the RR and the Heritage jerseys have a nice "classic" look to them.  I knew I would like the Heritage jerseys upon release (I was hoping for that design at the time), but the RR grew on me much more than I expected it to.  The red shoulders with the white outline just really pop, in a very good way.    

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm actually kind of indifferent to this...as long as they wind up getting worn for the same number of dates as originally planned, I'm OK with them not making their debut tonight.  I was looking forward to seeing them on ice sooner than later though...hopefully 3/2 then.  Only one more week. 

And though I know that I will be in the serious minority here, if the Devils ever went with their RR jerseys as their home jerseys, and the Heritage as their away, I wouldn't object...they could either keep the green as is, or swap out the green for black.  For one, I kinda like the idea of red shoulder yokes for both jerseys.  For another, I think both represent an improvement over the current red-and-blacks, which I've never been terribly fond of...used to them, sure, but I still think the previous red-and-blacks were superior. 

I know the Devils' record has been abysmal in the Heritage jerseys, but I think both the RR and the Heritage jerseys have a nice "classic" look to them.  I knew I would like the Heritage jerseys upon release (I was hoping for that design at the time), but the RR grew on me much more than I expected it to.  The red shoulders with the white outline just really pop, in a very good way.    

I'll object ever having green on the jerseys full time until I die lol some retro games during the season, sure, just never want to see it full time and absolutely never want to see it in the playoffs. 

I know it's definitely seems skewed to age on this board but I don't enjoy the green at all and never wear anything Devils related with the green on it. It just looks like the color combination a losing franchise would wear to me, which considering what they have been since 2013 maybe they should have switched to the green full time during this stretch lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I love these RR sweaters but I’m partial to teams that use colors other than black. I do understand why the Devils made the change and I had no problem with it, especially since red and white seemed to be our primary colors and black was a secondary color. Except when black is a primary color like the Steelers or Raiders or the Spurs, those I like.  I didn’t like when PHI came out with a black sweater and I hated the Buffaslug uniforms and I wasn’t even a fan of the LAK changing their colors but I understood why they did it when they traded for Gretzky.

But I also like the old 80s Buccaneers and Patriots and Broncos uniforms as opposed to their newer ones. Especially the Bucs, they had like the Bad News Bears problem where all the other color schemes were taken so they went with what was left. I love the Swashbuckler.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll object ever having green on the jerseys full time until I die lol some retro games during the season, sure, just never want to see it full time and absolutely never want to see it in the playoffs. 

I know it's definitely seems skewed to age on this board but I don't enjoy the green at all and never wear anything Devils related with the green on it. It just looks like the color combination a losing franchise would wear to me, which considering what they have been since 2013 maybe they should have switched to the green full time during this stretch lol

I was never a champion of green full-time (the way Leeds has consistently been), but being that I don't love the current red-and-blacks, and that I think the Heritage and RR are solid designs (even if based off old templates), I'm much more open to the idea now.  I like that it's not an overly bright green either...hell, depending on lighting, they almost look black in some photos.

What's funny is that due to the brightness of the red, I tend to notice the red more than the green on the RR.  The green feels more like a background, even though it's on the body of the jersey.   

My first choice would still be a simple return to the old red-and-blacks...but if the Devils ever decided for some reason to go Heritage/RR (don't see it ever happening), like I said, I'd be fine with that.  If anything, I'm kinda bummed that the two current jersey designs I like the most are those that they don't wear full-time.  

I was never a champion of green full-time (the way Leeds has consistently been), but being that I don't love the current red-and-blacks, and that I think the Heritage and RR are solid designs (even if based off old templates), I'm much more open to the idea now.  I like that it's not an overly bright green either...hell, depending on lighting, they almost look black in some photos.

What's funny is that due to the brightness of the red, I tend to notice the red more than the green on the RR.  The green feels more like a background, even though it's on the body of the jersey.   

My first choice would still be a simple return to the old red-and-blacks...but if the Devils ever decided for some reason to go Heritage/RR (don't see it ever happening), like I said, I'd be fine with that.  If anything, I'm kinda bummed that the two current jersey designs I like the most are those that they don't wear full-time.  

I'm not a big fan of the current jerseys either, the even stripes are the worst part of it for me. I'd be fine with a new design but I don't trust Adidas or the team to ever make something I'd be happy with lol

I'm just happy we aren't wearing the old colors or red and green/black versions of KC Scouts or Colorado Rockies stuff like Carolina and Colorado did with their Hartford and Quebec jerseys. 

50 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

To be honest, I’m red-green colorblind so I don’t give a flying fvck. 

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Damn I don't even recall the play where he got hurt - must've been accidental/incidental? 

I found it, happened early in the game IIRC:

Looks like he over-extended himself and Nico briefly fell on that right leg.  Ouch, major ouch.

Nothing Nico could've/should've done differently imo.  

Edited by Devilsfan118

58 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Buffalo hasn't either but they beat us by a few days lol apparently some other teams aren't wearing them 6x either, saw some with as few as 3x

Their RR is white and ours is dark. It would make sense to have us wear ours against them.

And I agree with CR76. That RR with black instead of green would be a nice 3rd. I do like the red yolk

54 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Their RR is white and ours is dark. It would make sense to have us wear ours against them.

And I agree with CR76. That RR with black instead of green would be a nice 3rd. I do like the red yolk

I'm good with black or the green...the key being that the green is pretty dark.  Makes the red stand out that much more...and the white border around the yoke helps a lot.   

And after many years of black yokes (which I never minded and actually liked quite a bit, especially on the old red-and-blacks...why the new design has them chopped, I'll never understand), I like the idea of red yokes now, on the everyday unis.  To me, that would make up for not having a primary jersey with a red torso (which seems almost blasphemous for a team called the Devils), but the way the red shoulders and accents jump off the RR jersey makes up for that.   

And to be clear, I'm very much in favor of the RRs becoming the home jerseys, and the Heritage becoming the aways (they'd no longer be thirds)...if the Devils wanted to go away from red and black after nearly 30 years, to a color scheme that still has historic significance (and makes sense, as to why red and green were initially chosen), I'm not going to have any issue with it...this would be a radical change that I can definitely live with.  If they were ever to do a swap with black replacing the green areas (but the templates would otherwise remain the same), I'm fine with that too.  

No, a full-time RR home and Heritage away (with or without green) probably never happens.  And I'm guessing the pajama-top Picards will still be here for a while (at least a few more years).  Whatever the next look winds up being, I'm guessing it will be something entirely new, with the logo being the only element to carry over fully. 

What I could definitely get on board with:

RR (with green) home

Heritage (with green) away

3rd:  Pre-Adidas red-and-black template (just to see the Devils wear primarily red jerseys on occasion)

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

if the Devils wanted to go away from red and black after nearly 30 years, to a color scheme that still has historic significance (and makes sense, as to why red and green were initially chosen), I'm not going to have any issue with it...t

It would be pretty odd after this year's whole "Black and Red" marketing plan. 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's only a week wait at this point, why not wait for some fans to actually get to eNJoy them in person? Lol

Because if you were gonna wear them tonight anyway, why not just.... wear them? Again- stupid. 

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Scouts/Rockies jerseys would look sweet for a Halloween game

No thanks.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It would be pretty odd after this year's whole "Black and Red" marketing plan. 

I know my RR/Heritage idea ain't ever happenin...it would definitely be a radical change.  And I'm not sure that many fans would welcome a near-full-time return to green being a part of the unis (though ditching that for black would allow the "red and black" marketing to keep going unencumbered, and not alienate any fans who didn't grow up with green as part of the color scheme).   

I know my RR/Heritage idea ain't ever happenin...it would definitely be a radical change.  And I'm not sure that many fans would welcome a near-full-time return to green being a part of the unis (though ditching that for black would allow the "red and black" marketing to keep going unencumbered, and not alienate any fans who didn't grow up with green as part of the color scheme).   

Just about 100% of the Devils fans I knew when the switch was made from green to black were completely in favor of it. So I am pretty sure that a portion of them and just about every new fan since 1992 would want to keep the black. 

I am pretty sure most people wold want to switch back to the old template with the bottom stripes if any change were going to be made. 

That said, I happen to like the green, despite my difficulty in distinguishing it. I think the RR jerseys are perfect, and followed the concept exactly. I can't wait to see the actual on-ice product rather than the poos quality ones available at retail. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No thanks.

The Devils are coming up on 40 years of being in NJ...there was a time I was mildly curious about seeing them wear Rockies or Scouts jerseys, but that ship sailed for me a long time ago.

At this point, I like that they've dipped into the red and green area for three different jerseys.  Next up, I could live with a now "retro" red and black, or even a design heavily based on the old black Starter jerseys.  I'd welcome MB3's black jersey in a heartbeat.  Best indie 3rd design I've seen yet.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just about 100% of the Devils fans I knew when the switch was made from green to black were completely in favor of it. So I am pretty sure that a portion of them and just about every new fan since 1992 would want to keep the black. 

I am pretty sure most people wold want to switch back to the old template with the bottom stripes if any change were going to be made. 

That said, I happen to like the green, despite my difficulty in distinguishing it. I think the RR jerseys are perfect, and followed the concept exactly. I can't wait to see the actual on-ice product rather than the poos quality ones available at retail. 

For sure...I was one of them.  Went to the final preseason game in 1992 thinking for some reason I was going to get to see them on ice...they were saving them for the regular season.  From what DM84 told me (think it was him), apparently those white, red and greens from that preseason game were pretty beat up (can't really tell from a distance)...the Devils obviously weren't going to bother ordering new "old style" jerseys just for the preseason, so they simply used older sets, and for new players, stripped old ones and re-named and numbered them.  

Wasn't sure if you were kidding about being color-blind.  My uncle (mom's side) is color-blind too (same, red and green, think they look gray-ish to him)...so are my neighbor's two sons.  Not sure if my mother was a carrier of the gene...neither me nor my brother have it.  

Agree about the Devils' RR jerseys...they simply followed instructions, and I like this look better than the original template off which it was based.  I gotta admit though, some of the teams that didn't follow the concept to the letter (the Kings and Wild in particular) came up with some pretty sweet designs.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Although I can distinguish between red and green (most shades in most light, anyway), the eye doctor tells me I have never seen what either color actually looks like. So what red and green are in my head is not what the rest of you see. Both are apparently more vibrant than what I see. 

Found that out when my daughter was in kindergarten, because she has it too, which is very rare in girls. Which, as a 25+ year fan of a team that wears red, and with jerseys and Devils clothing having been a major part of my wardrobe since age 10, kind of blew my mind a bit. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Although I can distinguish between red and green (most shades in most light, anyway), the eye doctor tells me I have never seen what either color actually looks like. So what red and green are in my head is not what the rest of you see. Both are apparently more vibrant than what I see. 

Found that out when my daughter was in kindergarten, because she has it too, which is very rare in girls. Which, as a 25+ year fan of a team that wears red, and with jerseys and Devils clothing having been a major part of my wardrobe since age 10, kind of blew my mind a bit. 

Ever think about trying those glasses that can let you see those colors? I'm not sure how they work or if everyone is eligible but I've seen a few videos of people reacting to seeing the colors for the first time. 

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ever think about trying those glasses that can let you see those colors? I'm not sure how they work or if everyone is eligible but I've seen a few videos of people reacting to seeing the colors for the first time. 

I’ll admit, I’m curious. Like I said, most of the time the colors are separate and distinct, so I have an idea of what green looks like and what red looks like. But apparently I’m wrong lol. 

I’m wondering if it’s THAT different. 

EDIT: Amazon had some with free returns, I’ll play. To be continued...

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll admit, I’m curious. Like I said, most of the time the colors are separate and distinct, so I have an idea of what green looks like and what red looks like. But apparently I’m wrong lol. 

I’m wondering if it’s THAT different. 

Just looking on google I wasn't expecting the prices to be so low and looks like they have money back guarantees too so definitely looks like it's something worth giving a shot if you're interested.