GDT: Buffalo @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+ Reverse Retros?

MadDog2020

I would like to say that if the Devils are indeed wearing the green Reverse Retros for tonight’s game, it will be fitting that the first time the Devils would ever wear a jersey with green as the predominant color would come the day after NJ officially legalized weed.  Poetic and beautiful and hilarious all at once. 🤣LGD. 

• Like 5

Hall with just 4 A in his last 12 GP (NO goals in his last 14 GP).  Outside of 2017-18 (a terrific year no matter how you slice it), he's been pretty underwhelming since the start of the 2014-15 season...in the non-2017-18 seasons combined over that time frame, he's averaged 22.6 G and 42.8 A per 82 GP (and of course, has missed a number of games due to injury)...in his last 80 GP (for three different teams, none of whom have gotten much of a jolt from his presence), he's scored just 17 goals (62 points).  I'd still consider him on a two-year deal, but not sure why anyone would want to commit to him long-term at this point.

It's the same problem with him...the promise of what everyone thinks he can be has so rarely been reached in his career.  2017-18 felt like his arrival, the beginning of his truly putting it all together...not that he was going to keep repeating that level of success, but that he'd be much more of a consistent impact player going forward.  I still think his career takes an odd path from here on out...he's now on his fourth team, and I can see him playing for twice that many by the time his career wraps up.  His career will have been solid (with one big year), but not what fans would've thought.  Just feels like something will always be missing with him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall with just 4 A in his last 12 GP (NO goals in his last 14 GP).  Outside of 2017-18 (a terrific year no matter how you slice it), he's been pretty underwhelming since the start of the 2014-15 season...in the non-2017-18 seasons combined over that time frame, he's averaged 22.6 G and 42.8 A per 82 GP (and of course, has missed a number of games due to injury)...in his last 80 GP (for three different teams, none of whom have gotten much of a jolt from his presence), he's scored just 17 goals (62 points).  I'd still consider him on a two-year deal, but not sure why anyone would want to commit to him long-term at this point.

It's the same problem with him...the promise of what everyone thinks he can be has so rarely been reached in his career.  2017-18 felt like his arrival, the beginning of his truly putting it all together...not that he was going to keep repeating that level of success, but that he'd be much more of a consistent impact player going forward.  I still think his career takes an odd path from here on out...he's now on his fourth team, and I can see him playing for twice that many by the time his career wraps up.  His career will have been solid (with one big year), but not what fans would've thought.  Just feels like something will always be missing with him.

I mean, he's still outscoring every player on our team except for two. But yeah, I expected more from him. 

Let's wear our green jerseys tonight (be careful with mine, Mac), and beat their asses. 

At least we know we won't give all of them COVID again...or will we????

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Actually, Hughes is the only Devils player with more points than Hall atm. 

Buffalo's played in two more games than the Devils too.  

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let me add to that, funny how people were calling for Palmieri's head last week, now he's got 9 points in 12 games, a better beard, and he is second on the team in scoring, and not by a lot. 

Whoever had "he's always streaky" (I believe @Colorado Rockies 1976 is the guy who usually says it), you win. 

Last year, he was actually quite steady:

1st 20 games:  7 G, 5 A

2nd 20 games:  8 G, 8 A

3rd 20 games:  8 G, 8 A

Final 5 games:  2 G, 0 A

And for the hell of it, I decided to go back to all of his seasons as a Devil, to see if he's really as streaky as we all think he is.  Using the 20-game blocks, here's the numbers:

2015-16:  1st 20 - 9 G, 7 A; 2nd 20 - 10 G, 4 A; 3rd 20 - 5 G, 4 A; last 22 - 8 G, 10 A

2016-17:  1st 20 - 3 G, 6 A; 2nd 20 - 5 G, 8 A; 3rd 20 - 11 G, 7 A; last 20 - 7 G, 6 A

2017-18:  1st 20 - 5 G, 8 A; 2nd 20 - 9 G, 4 A; Final 22 - 10 G, 8 A (only played 62 games that year)

2018-19:  1st 20 - 12 G, 9 A; 2nd 20 - 8 G, 7 A; 3rd 20 - 6 G, 5 A; Final 14 - 1 G, 2 A

And I've already provided the 2019-20 numbers.  The variance isn't quite as wide as I would've thought.

What's funny is that even now, I get the impression that a lot of fans don't believe in him as a goal scorer, and that he's just going to completely disappear one day...despite five years of evidence that strongly suggest that he should be counted on for rates of 30 G per 82 GP and 27 A per 82 GP.  I admit that I was concerned about how bad he looked early on, but not so much that I was going to give up on him without seeing a lot more proof that he couldn't regain his scoring touch.