The PavelPoints Tracking Thread

mfitz804

Putting this here to memorialize the consequences of Pavel’s increased scoring. 

I have a bet with @MB3 that Pavel will not score 0.5 points per game this year. Loser donates $40 to the site (last year we bet $20, but we elected to postpone the bet because he was close when the season ended). 

I have also guaranteed that if Pavel leads the team in points for the season, I have to buy a #37 jersey. 

As of today, our boy has scored 12 PavelPoints in 15 games for an average of 0.8 points per game. 

With 56 games this year, Pavel needs to reach 28 points to achieve the goal. As of today, the magic number is 16 points. 

Seems like it would be impossible for him to not do that, and this will be a bet I’m happy to lose. 

Also, as of today, Pavel leads our team in points with 12, ahead of Hughes by 1 and Smith by 2. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 6

An added consideration; is Pavel’s surge jeopardizing his NJD future?

With the expansion draft looming, this isn’t the time for any young, but not that young, player to be having a rebirth. I assume he is “veteran” enough at this point where he is not exempt, is that correct?

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

An added consideration; is Pavel’s surge jeopardizing his NJD future?

With the expansion draft looming, this isn’t the time for any young, but not that young, player to be having a rebirth. I assume he is “veteran” enough at this point where he is not exempt, is that correct?

We would indeed have to protect him. Which we should do (and I would have said that even before this hot streak). Let them take Subban or Butcher or someone like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

We would indeed have to protect him. Which we should do (and I would have said that even before this hot streak). Let them take Subban or Butcher or someone like that. 

I would think they would've protected him even if he wasn't doing what he's doing right now...still young, and as of now I still see him as a 3C (he's making a case for being more at the moment, but this is still small sample stuff).  Subban being exposed is a no-brainer, and I get the feeling Butcher isn't in the team's long term plans.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would think they would've protected him even if he wasn't doing what he's doing right now...still young, and as of now I still see him as a 3C (he's making a case for being more at the moment, but this is still small sample stuff).  Subban being exposed is a no-brainer, and I get the feeling Butcher isn't in the team's long term plans.  

The big question wrt Zacha might be keeping him at wing permanently or not. It does seem to suit him better. 

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The big question wrt Zacha might be keeping him at wing permanently or not. It does seem to suit him better. 

Right now, yes.  I just need to see more of this...not at a 10 points-in-8-games pace of course (he won't keep that up), but a larger sample that screams "Yeah, he is definitely better off playing wing."  He is shooting well over 20% during this hot streak (17.9% on the season).  Can't expect that to continue.

Don't want to take ANYTHING away from him though...the fact of the matter is this is the best he's looked in his still-early NHL career...maybe he just needed a non-DBA coach to get more out of him.  He looks like he's having fun out there and playing with a lot of confidence.  I'm happy as hell for him, because we've definitely been hard on him (me included), though there were definitely reasons why.  It's "Where did he come from?!" guys like him that can really make a season fun...especially since it's obvious that the Devils still have weaknesses, and will need a hell of a lot to go right to squeak into the playoffs.  

Would've been funny to see a "Who will lead the Devils in points after 15 GP?" thread.  Would ANYONE here have picked Zacha?  (And on that note, "Who will lead the Devils in goals after 15 GP?"  Was anyone picking Wood?)  

Also, for the hell of it...some Zacha numbers:

2016-17:  70 GP, 8 G, 16 A, 24 Pts

2017-18:  69 GP, 8 G, 17 A, 25 Pts

2018-19:  61 GP, 13 G, 12 A, 25 Pts

Last 35 GP:  10 G, 16 A, 26 Pts  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Breaking out the McMullen Night Zacha for Saturday's game.  He's earned it, heh heh.  

First wore it out for this game...he had a goal and two assists (giving him four points in his first five games that season) and the Devils were up 4-1...felt like maybe there was some magic in that jersey.  Then Cory and the rest happened:

Florida Panthers at New Jersey Devils Box Score — October 14, 2019 | Hockey-Reference.com (hockey-reference.com)

Of the most infuriating games I've been to, that one definitely is in the Top 5.  Especially the way the Panthers scored right at the end of the second and the very beginning of the third.  And DBA behind the bench with that DBA facial "expression" we knew all too well.  

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

If Pavel leads the team in PavelPoints at the end of the year, I will match whatever mfitz donation is. My little boy is all grown up. 

FTFY

If we aren't going to refer to them as PavelPoints in this thread, then what's the PavelPoint?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Well now that there's a thread about it he's not gonna score another PavelPoint this season lol

I think you seriously underestimate how often I lose bets. 

I bet against my daughter when she was running for 6th grade class President with full knowledge that if I did so, she would win and I would lose the bet. 

It worked. 

• Haha 1