The PavelPoints Tracking Thread

mfitz804

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You two definitely provide your share of laughs...which we need during (multiple) seasons like this.  So thank you both for that!  

Speaking for myself and my tag team partner, it’s my pleasure. 

Zacha remains 2 points ahead of Jack in the race for the team lead. Yegor is now only 4 points back at 29. 

Time is running short, as long as Hughes and Zacha keep clicking, the gap will not be closed. That’s not good for me. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Zacha remains 2 points ahead of Jack in the race for the team lead. Yegor is now only 4 points back at 29. 

Time is running short, as long as Hughes and Zacha keep clicking, the gap will not be closed. That’s not good for me. 

You need to send the league an email to review the second goal by Boqvist.  I thought Hughes might have touched the puck before it bounced over to JB

Also, anything can happen in that last game of the season against the Flyers.  They gave up 7 again tonight 

27 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

You need to send the league an email to review the second goal by Boqvist.  I thought Hughes might have touched the puck before it bounced over to JB

I was rooting hard for it lol. 

Figured this was worth posting here:

yet another example of why only using advanced stats to build a case for/against a player’s performance is just plain ignorant.

seriously cannot stand the “well his expected goals or chances are bad so his scoring is worthless and he’s a bad player” argument.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I like to subscribe to the reality that once Pavel landed here, he did some light googling and came across this board.  He's been reading this board since then and every negative post that was made about him...  

...Then he saw you make this bet. 

Yep, I have 100% reverse psychologied him into being a real hockey player. It’s not even a question. 

48908665773_08e35b5615_b.jpg

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

yet another example of why only using advanced stats to build a case for/against a player’s performance is just plain ignorant.

seriously cannot stand the “well his expected goals or chances are bad so his scoring is worthless and he’s a bad player” argument.

I would usually agree, but if he’s saying Zacha is bad, I will blindly agree without reading it. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Cordell is one of these analytics nerds who never played hockey and probably still wears a pocket protector. fvck that guy.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cordell is one of these analytics nerds who never played hockey and probably still wears a pocket protector. fvck that guy.

I really know nothing about the guy other than his analytics garbage. This is just further proof that analytics don’t mean anything, because they don’t reflect a guy’s actual play. 

Zacha has 0.71 PPG, leads the team in scoring, one off the team lead in goals, 4 off the team leads was in assists, and first place in pissing me off. 

To take that and say we should trade him based on analytics is ridiculous and nobody should find that asshat credible. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I like to subscribe to the reality that once Pavel landed here, he did some light googling and came across this board.  He's been reading this board since then and every negative post that was made about him...  

...Then he saw you make this bet. 

Also, I mocked him for looking like the French guy from Oz after he shaved, and he hasn’t shaved since. Coincidence?

2E428018-C090-414A-8AF0-A5FE16BDA2A1.jpeg

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I feel dumber for having read that.  My favorite is that “anyone could look good playing with Nico and Bratt.”  Okay but how many could actually be the best player on that line when they’ve been together so far?

I’m just as much of a Pavel Zacha supporter as anyone, but I do think there’s something worth discussing there. The idea is that some people are saying that Zacha could be at an all time high value-wise, and that he may not be likely to repeat this performance next season. His shooting percentage is very high, and supposedly his on ice goal differential is the worst on the team (according to some other Cordell tweet I saw). As mentioned in that article, there are a lot of statistics that point toward him having a weaker season than his points suggest, which would indicate that future seasons are not likely to go as well as this one has. So the question becomes: do you cash in on him now in order to bring in some help on the blue line, or better yet package him with something else to get a really high level player?

As much as I like Zacha, I will admit that he isn’t great in the defensive zone. He’s not quite the defensively responsible Zajac replacement that he was branded as earlier in his career. But stats aside, I think we can all agree that the eye test shows that he has not only found some consistency, but that he has really taken his game to another level this year - regardless of whether that’s predominantly in the offensive zone. I can acknowledge that he has got some aspects of his game that still need work. And I agree that his shooting percentage is probably higher than it will be in future seasons. But I would rather hang onto him and see if he can further blossom as an offensive talent next season. And at the same time, he can work on being a more effective player in all 3 zones, over a normal season, with regular practices, and under a coach who has helped him achieve sustained success for the first time in his career. Last season, he wasn’t all that effective in any zone. Who is to say he can’t improve other areas of his game as well?

• Like 4

My answer is the same as it is with any other player on the roster. What are you giving me for him? 

I am not anxious to trade him, but he's certainly far from untouchable. I don't think anyone on our roster is truly untouchable, everybody's got a price, some higher than others. 

I really like Zacha and always defend him.

I don’t think he is good enough to play C. He can’t protect open ice and play passive in zone movement. I think he will always be an average player in corsi, gf etc. He isn’t a good line driver. on the other hand he is very skilled to capitalize chances. He protect puck well, he is good puck handler and he shots pretty well. I don’t think he is a best pk killer, because Bastian and Sharangovich are pretty decent in that aspects now, they are pretty intense in forecheck, they and Hischier make takeaways more often. Maltsev has potential to be a best pk killer of the league. As I remember he is in top ten takeaways per 60min. He is big and skates well.(I checked it. He is number one forward in the league who play more than 7 games. He played 33 games)

but it doesn’t make Zacha bad or something like that. Someone should create those chances and use this chances on the ice. It’s great how Zajac can outplayed any line no matter against whom he played. But team will not win if 6 zajacs play in top six.

btw Holtz will be not good corsi/gf player too. Someone should score. Someone should have enough bold and skill to make things that will end by scoring goals. Top-6 players exists for that.

If we have enough players on the left side in top-6, I think Zacha can be very dangerous middle six winger, who create enough secondary scoring. He was close to 0.5 ppg last year, now he is 0.7+ ppg player. If this is a puck luck and he will stand on 0.6 level I think it will pretty enough for the Devils. If he will progress in scoring and create smart chances more - I don’t know what the f,ckin hell more devils fans can ask.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

The Devils shouldn't be in the business of trading cost-controlled, low salary, 24-year old home grown restricted free agents. He's someone who can play top-6 center if/when Nico/Jack get hurt, slides perfectly as a shot-first winger in a top-6 role, and he's the best penalty killer on the team. His game is growing, and his value to other teams is very likely not as high as his value on the Devils. 

This sums it up perfectly.  There really isn't anything else that needs to be said about it.  It takes into account Zacha's value and ability as a player, and the circumstances of his career, contract, and everything else.  Nicely done.

• Like 3

I've loved watching Zacha improve. He is tradable, however, and not everyone-has-a-price tradable. Legit tradable. Picture it. NHL team needs cap relief. We have a cheap controllable player. We have an extra first round pick. We weaponize our cap for higher-priced sniper or defenseman. Is this not a legitimate scenario?

17 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I've loved watching Zacha improve. He is tradable, however, and not everyone-has-a-price tradable. Legit tradable. Picture it. NHL team needs cap relief. We have a cheap controllable player. We have an extra first round pick. We weaponize our cap for higher-priced sniper or defenseman. Is this not a legitimate scenario?

At this point I don’t believe in any scenario that includes “weaponize our cap space”, because it literally never happens. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2