GDT: Devils vs. Capitals, 2/28/21, 3:00pm, MSG

mfitz804

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Nope disagree, has he benefited greatly from Ovi, yes as has every other Cap.  He can actually play the game while not being babysh!t soft like most players in the game today, he's a pos who crosses the line who I would love on my team similar to Ratface.

No argument at all that he's not soft - he's a tough enforcer, but in my eyes that's all he is.  Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then, and that's basically what Wilson is to me.  He is the benefactor of two very dangerous scorers being on the same line as him and literally drawing all of the attention.  I don't even know how you could try to make an argument otherwise.  You could put literally anyone else on that line and they would have, at a minimum, the same amount of goals/points as him.  Probably a TON more.  

Another weekend of no points in the standings.  These weekend games are going to cost us the playoffs if he keeps going this way.  

Also, how sad is it that we are the worst faceoff team in the league.  Part of me was pretty happy that we got an experienced coach in Ruff and it seemed like the players were responding well to him because they seem to have a lot of energy and don't quit, but thinking more about it, how much of that can be attributed to the fact that we're the 2nd youngest team in the league and they should, in general, have their legs on most nights? I mean, I know it's still really early, but how good of a job could Ruff be doing so far if we are dead last in faceoffs, dead last in PK, and near-last in PP?  Those 3 things are literally all about coaching.  What are these clowns doing in practice?  Are the coaches not having them focus on these areas?  It just doesn't make sense.  Especially when guys like Nico and Zacha were decent at faceoffs in years past.  Zajac too.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

No argument at all that he's not soft - he's a tough enforcer, but in my eyes that's all he is.  Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then, and that's basically what Wilson is to me.  He is the benefactor of two very dangerous scorers being on the same line as him and literally drawing all of the attention.  I don't even know how you could try to make an argument otherwise.  You could put literally anyone else on that line and they would have, at a minimum, the same amount of goals/points as him.  Probably a TON more.  

I will go out a on a limb here though and say that Ovi has a huge say in who is plays with on his line and also as a result that led directly to the deal Wilson got. So I would trust that when Ovi hand picks you he feels Wilson isn't just that blind squirrel you're envisioning him to be.  I'll go with Ovi's take here.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

I will go out a on a limb here though and say that Ovi has a huge say in who is plays with on his line and also as a result that led directly to the deal Wilson got. So I would trust that when Ovi hand picks you he feels Wilson isn't just that blind squirrel you're envisioning him to be.  I'll go with Ovi's take here.

No question, and I would love that guy on my team.

Edited by mfitz804

Seen about enough of Palmieri. He’s a goal scorer that isn’t scoring. He doesn’t bring anything to the table when he’s not scoring. Not a great forechecker, not great in transition. 

This team has been way too easy to play against for way too long. Bastian and McLeod had been getting too quiet, good to see them with some snarl.

Speaking of, I’ve gone back and forth on Wood 100 times. After today, he needs to be given a spot in the top 6 until he plays his way off it. He’s one of the few guys who wins races and digs pucks out of the corner. Give him Palmieri’s minutes, idgaf. 

17 and 23 need to play heavier on the wall forechecking. They have the ability to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Or, he's a throwback to those players in the 80s and 90s who were a royal pain in the ass but could play the game. I liked those players: Shayne Corson, Rick Tocchet and many others. I loved Randy McKay, I think many of us did. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Bad turnover by Jack and clueless D by Vatanen by taking away neither the pass or shot.

Jack needs to stop the boneheaded no look passes to nobody in particular. I have been complaining about that for a few games now, and tonight it led directly to a goal against. 

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Or, he's a throwback to those players in the 80s and 90s who were a royal pain in the ass but could play the game. I liked those players: Shayne Corson, Rick Tocchet and many others. I loved Randy McKay, I think many of us did. 

It’s probably both the player he is and the guys he plays with. 

I think most if not all of us would of signed up for 7-7-2 at this point of the season going into it.  Especially with some key pieces missing for a big part of the first few weeks. How we got here is a little of a mixed bag with some pleasant surprises and some real disappointments. Bottom line for me we have a handful of really good parts to hopefully build on, a equal size handful of boardline junk parts and some TBD's in the middle so to me the jury is still out.  Hoping for some continued growth as we move down the schedule and for some guys who haven't stepped up to finally do so. As for the vets, really hoping some suckers come calling at the TDL  Stay the course.  Just keep the wheels on it.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Jack needs to stop the boneheaded no look passes to nobody in particular. I have been complaining about that for a few games now, and tonight it led directly to a goal against. 

It’s probably both the player he is and the guys he plays with. 

It never hurts to play with great players who make others around them better. Alex Burrows knows and so do a whole bunch of guys that played with Mario Lemieux.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

It never hurts to play with great players who make others around them better. Alex Burrows knows and so do a whole bunch of guys that played with Mario Lemieux.

For sure. But I’m not sure he realizes that before you make a “no look” pass, you’re supposed to make sure someone is there to receive it. Like Elias said about the Cup winning goal in 2000, people call it a no look pass but in reality, he looked. 

It would be better to have him playing with better players. But that doesn’t mean you just wing passes to nobody in particular, and in this instance it led directly to an opposition goal. 

It frankly reminds me of the team in 2015-16, when ALL of our players seemed to do that all the time. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

For sure. But I’m not sure he realizes that before you make a “no look” pass, you’re supposed to make sure someone is there to receive it. Like Elias said about the Cup winning goal in 2000, people call it a no look pass but in reality, he looked. 

It would be better to have him playing with better players. But that doesn’t mean you just wing passes to nobody in particular, and in this instance it led directly to an opposition goal. 

It frankly reminds me of the team in 2015-16, when ALL of our players seemed to do that all the time. 

Oh geez, I thought you were talking about Tom Wilson. I gots mixed up.

32 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I don't doubt that, but don't you think the reason Ovi might want him on his line is for his toughness?  I mean, there's a reason why Marty McSorely played with Wayne Gretzky so often, and I think we all know it wasn't for his skill.  For Christ' sakes the guy was traded in a mandatory package deal so that he could have protection in LA.  I'm not saying Ovi necessarily needs it in the same way, but I would also very much believe that Ovi has a sense of peace of mind when he's on the ice knowing that he doesn't have to play the role of his own bodyguard and can therefore concentrate more on scoring.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Oh geez, I thought you were talking about Tom Wilson. I gots mixed up.

I see what happened, you quoted both  parts of a multi point post. 

It’s true, Wilson is helped by having good players on his line. But he also is a good hockey player. He probably registers more points than he would his he played on a 4th line, but as was pointed out, there’s no possible way Ovechkin would have a stiff on his line, he has probably hand selected Wilson. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah I mean I'm not saying it's impossible that he might be that too - I guess it's unfortunate that we may never know, I just think if you demote that guy to the 3rd or 4th line like he would be on many teams, or perhaps put him on another team altogether, he'd largely be insignificant/invisible, and only recognizable for his antics.  I could definitely be wrong, but to me he's just a goon who happens to play with two phenoms, and those phenoms need/want him for his size/toughness.  Who knows though.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't doubt that, but don't you think the reason Ovi might want him on his line is for his toughness?  I mean, there's a reason why Marty McSorely played with Wayne Gretzky so often, and I think we all know it wasn't for his skill.  For Christ' sakes the guy was traded in a mandatory package deal so that he could have protection in LA.  I'm not saying Ovi necessarily needs it in the same way, but I would also very much believe that Ovi has a sense of peace of mind when he's on the ice knowing that he doesn't have to play the role of his own bodyguard and can therefore concentrate more on scoring.

Lines that click sometimes have that rugged winger who does the dirty work. Tomas Holmstrom pops to mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I mean I'm not saying it's impossible that he might be that too - I guess it's unfortunate that we may never know, I just think if you demote that guy to the 3rd or 4th line like he would be on many teams, or perhaps put him on another team altogether, he'd largely be insignificant/invisible, and only recognizable for his antics.  I could definitely be wrong, but to me he's just a goon who happens to play with two phenoms, and those phenoms need/want him for his size/toughness.  Who knows though.

He wouldn't do as well on a fourth line, for sure. But he's good enough to play with Ovechkin, at least that's how I see it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Lines that click sometimes have that rugged winger who does the dirty work. Tomas Holmstrom pops to mind.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean.  It's not at all unheard of and logically it sort of makes sense - you have two really talented guys and then a lesser talented guy who may be tough in order to protect the other two - it surely has worked in Washington - my point was only that, in this particular case, I think Wilson is significantly less-skilled than the other two, so much so that I think he'd be a borderline top 9 forward on most teams.