GDT: Devils vs. Isles, SUPERSPREADER EDITION 3/2/21, 7:00pm, MSG+2

RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

He also wasn’t here for much success. Outside of 2012, none of the teams he played on did much.

For sure. Greene was on the other side of the net when Ponikarovsky scored that playoff OT goal against the Flyers on that awesome backhand rebound .... one of my favorite Devil goals ever.

• Like 1

Was debating touching this touchy topic and we only briefly talked about in the around the league thread but Cangi brought it up on the broadcast about donating money to Cory's family's gofundme, it's an absolutely tragic situation but I don't understand why a gofundme exists when Cory has made more money than all of us combined and both teams and owners can easily afford to chip in way more than us regular folk.

The optics of all of it just weird to me in terms of multi millionaires asking us to help out with what we can but hey at least they posted a picture of some sticks against the wall. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Was debating touching this touchy topic and we only briefly talked about in the around the league thread but Cangi brought it up on the broadcast about donating money to Cory's family's gofundme, it's an absolutely tragic situation but I don't understand why a gofundme exists when Cory has made more money than all of us combined and both teams and owners can easily afford to chip in way more than us regular folk.

The optics of all of it just weird to me in terms of multi millionaires asking us to help out with what we can but hey at least they posted a picture of some sticks against the wall. 

Someone on here made a good point in that a GoFundMe isn't solely about the money, but it can also be a psychological help for families undergoing tragedy simply to see other people offering support. We simply don't know behind the scenes whether or not Cory is helping financially, or if the family even wants to take his money. And to be honest, it's really none of our business. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The thought crossed my mind, but I didn't reach a conclusion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Someone on here made a good point in that a GoFundMe isn't solely about the money, but it can also be a psychological help for families undergoing tragedy simply to see other people offering support. We simply don't know behind the scenes whether or not Cory is helping financially, or if the family even wants to take his money. And to be honest, it's really none of our business. 

Not saying it's my business but if they are posting links and talking on broadcasts about donating to gofundmes it certainly isn't a private manner any longer. It's not something I'm gonna go on social media and bitch and moan about directly to them but for here it seems its open to discuss. 

I also really don't get how it's perfectly acceptable to take money from complete strangers who might not be able to afford it but would deny it from your millionaire family who can absolutely can afford it but that's just me.

If I had that much money I wouldn't allow my family or good friends to make a gofundme because they would be getting my financial support whether they wanted it or not but hey if that makes me the a$$hole then so be it.

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Not saying it's my business but if they are posting links and talking on broadcasts about donating to gofundmes it certainly isn't a private manner any longer. It's not something I'm gonna go on social media and bitch and moan about directly to them but for here it seems its open to discuss. 

I also really don't get how it's perfectly acceptable to take money from complete strangers who might not be able to afford it but would deny it from your millionaire family who can absolutely can afford it but that's just me.

If I had that much money I wouldn't allow my family or good friends to make a gofundme because they would be getting my financial support whether they wanted it or not but hey if that makes me the a$$hole then so be it.

Just because you have a millionaire in your family doesn't mean you can't ask for help from others. The only reason you think this has "bad optics" is because you're making a worst case scenario about it when we simply don't know the truth. Cory could very well be helping them out in addition to the GoFundMe. No one is obligated to donate. Like I said, it's a form of outside support. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think it's weird. Im sure Cory donated as much as he possibly could and used his reach to get as much as possible on top of that. Because of his reach other NHL players donated and decided to support.

The assumption that because he's a famous athlete that he should pick up the whole bill to support family member is kind of weird too. Why not get everyone willing to pitch in to pitch in?

They have funerals to pay for plus they lost everything. Anything will help