Jump to content

Kyle Palmieri could be a good fit with Boston


Jerrydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Who are we replacing Subban with if we move him? Connor Carrick? Matt Tennyson? 

I’m not sure we should really be looking to pay someone to take him off our hands. Now if Seattle wants him, or another team offers something worthwhile, sure. But other than that I’d just keep him at this point and let him play out his contract. Hopefully by 2023 at least one or two of Bahl, Okhotyuk, Mukhamadullin, Walsh, etc will be ready.

Possibly our top pick from this draft. If that is a Luke Hughes he’s definitely not going to be ready next year. Neither Sanderson or Drysdale stepped right into the NHL, and they’re probably similar caliber prospects. 

It should only be done in exchange for something worthwhile. I’m not sure DeBrusk is the answer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, mfitz804 said:

He’s 30, I imagine his agent aims a little higher than a 1-2 year deal. Thinking he probably wants 5 years and settles for 3. 

In terms of annual salary, he is already not paid a whole lot given that he is among the team scoring leaders every year. He’s not getting a raise, but 3 years at $3.3m wouldn’t be awful. 

If the Devs could get him to sign for that, for say 3 years @ 3.5? He's a good right winger, plays with grit, & composer. For me, I wouldn't mind him staying in NJ> I don't think that'll be enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vadvlfan said:

If the Devs could get him to sign for that, for say 3 years @ 3.5? He's a good right winger, plays with grit, & composer. For me, I wouldn't mind him staying in NJ> I don't think that'll be enough.

I don’t think it will be enough either, but that’s an amount I would pay. I think someone else will be willing to pay more/give more term and he’ll be gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

In that case, Subban and Palmieri for Jake DeBrusk, with the Devils paying half of Subban's salary. I think it makes sense, but DeBrusk isn't playing well right now.

DeBrusk just got healthy-scratched because he hasn't scored an even strength goal all season. But he does have ability and a decent track record in his first two NHL seasons. It could be worth the plunge. I believe Subban and Palmieri fill needs for Boston, and their GM just said publicly he may be looking to shake things up via trade.

This reminds me that Boston had three straight first round picks in 2015, and drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zach Senyshyn with picks 13, 14, and 15, respectively. Pick #16 was Mathew Barzal. Ouch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This reminds me that Boston had three straight first round picks in 2015, and drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zach Senyshyn with picks 13, 14, and 15, respectively. Pick #16 was Mathew Barzal. Ouch.

Hopefully our 3 top 20 picks from last year turn out much better...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This reminds me that Boston had three straight first round picks in 2015, and drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zach Senyshyn with picks 13, 14, and 15, respectively. Pick #16 was Mathew Barzal. Ouch.

Hehehe at least we only passed on him once lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This reminds me that Boston had three straight first round picks in 2015, and drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zach Senyshyn with picks 13, 14, and 15, respectively. Pick #16 was Mathew Barzal. Ouch.

Boy, the Bruins sure nailed that Pastrnak pick the year before. That eases the pain a little.

Regarding the Subban-Palmieri for DeBrusk idea, I'm just thinking of ways to get some players with upside in the door for the assets we have. I'm not too worried about who replaces Subban in the lineup because we're bad with him here and next year will be Subban's last year regardless. Is DeBrusk worth it, I don't know, but sometimes you trade for a player who is struggling or disappointing in some way, and you end up hitting on something good. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hehehe at least we only passed on him once lol. 

And Kyle Connor went the next pick after Barzal. Boston could have absolutely killed it that year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Regarding the Subban-Palmieri for DeBrusk idea, I'm just thinking of ways to get some players with upside in the door for the assets we have. I'm not too worried about who replaces Subban in the lineup because we're bad with him here and next year will be Subban's last year regardless. Is DeBrusk worth it, I don't know, but sometimes you trade for a player who is struggling or disappointing in some way, and you end up hitting on something good. 

It’s all fine and good to say “we’re bad with him anyway” but the fact is he plays a ton of minutes. I don’t really want to run guys like Smith and Severson into the ground because everyone else we have are absolute scrubs (especially if Kulikov and Murray leave). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nicomo said:

It’s all fine and good to say “we’re bad with him anyway” but the fact is he plays a ton of minutes. I don’t really want to run guys like Smith and Severson into the ground because everyone else we have are absolute scrubs (especially if Kulikov and Murray leave). 

No I don't want to kill our top defensemen either. But I am OK with giving defense prospects a chance or playing stopgaps like Tennyson if it means getting other pieces that could help this team become competitive. Who knows if Subban is generating much interest and if the Devils would pay part of his salary as part of a deal? I have no idea. I'm just sparking conversation on a web board, trying not to suggest anything TOO ridiculous! 

It'd be nice if we could turn a trade into a useful player and not some low draft pick, that's for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And Kyle Connor went the next pick after Barzal. Boston could have absolutely killed it that year. 

The next 3 were Barzal, Connor, and Chabot..  Could you imagine if they grabbed those 3 instead?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

The next 3 were Barzal, Connor, and Chabot..  Could you imagine if they grabbed those 3 instead?

Adding those to Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Rask.... you’re talking dynasty.

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Who was the GM?

That was Don Sweeney’s first draft as GM, but he was only GM for about a month at the time of the draft. Still, it doesn’t help his resume to be even somewhat associated with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was Don Sweeney’s first draft as GM, but he was only GM for about a month at the time of the draft. Still, it doesn’t help his resume to be even somewhat associated with that.

Oof

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It’s all fine and good to say “we’re bad with him anyway” but the fact is he plays a ton of minutes. I don’t really want to run guys like Smith and Severson into the ground because everyone else we have are absolute scrubs (especially if Kulikov and Murray leave). 

If I’m Fitz, I’m talking extension with Kulikov now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Boy, the Bruins sure nailed that Pastrnak pick the year before. That eases the pain a little.

Regarding the Subban-Palmieri for DeBrusk idea, I'm just thinking of ways to get some players with upside in the door for the assets we have. I'm not too worried about who replaces Subban in the lineup because we're bad with him here and next year will be Subban's last year regardless. Is DeBrusk worth it, I don't know, but sometimes you trade for a player who is struggling or disappointing in some way, and you end up hitting on something good. 

I obviously have no issues with moving on from Subban.

DeBrusk is one of those guys who has a clear pros and cons list.  Pros would be that he's young (next season will be his Age 25 year), and still under contract for next year (though due more money than his actual cap hit of $3,675,000...his actual salary will be $4,850,000).  Cons would be getting benched for perceived lack of effort, and the Devils bringing in yet another "if maybe" kind of player, who passes through, doesn't do all that much, and is soon forgotten.  Keep in mind that he's been struggling for quite a while offensively now...over his last 44 GP (includes last season's playoffs), he's only put up 10 points (6 G and 4 A).  That's deeply concerning.

Of course, the above being said, we're talking about one player in Subban who I don't think too many Devils fans are going to be sorry to see leave, and a second one in Palms that damn near everyone is down on and will be a UFA.  As much as Palms has been a solid goal-scorer here prior to this season, I think most fans see this as getting rid of two players who won't figure into the Devils' future, for a young player that may fit the timeline better.  And of course, there is still the option to bring Palms back.  

Along with the very lackluster production, there's also this, re:  Jake:

Bruce Cassidy gives candid take on Jake DeBrusk's struggles in Bruins lineup | RSN (nbcsports.com)

Really feels like this could be too much of a "cross your fingers and hope a change of scenery suddenly helps" scenario.  If Palms gets hot enough, I think the Devils could find a way to do better.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think Palms is a fit for Boston. He is too old to be other than a season ending rental. Based on his present performance he wouldn't even be a good rental for the season ending and the playoffs. Just my thoughts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All we can hope for is... that teams going "all-in" for the playoffs get some injuries that they have to replace now and might get desperate for guys like Palms and since they are all-in might be willing to trade more than normal value

* that being said i'm not literally wishing for players getting injured. Just saying that'd be an ideal scenario 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

All we can hope for is... that teams going "all-in" for the playoffs get some injuries that they have to replace now and might get desperate for guys like Palms and since they are all-in might be willing to trade more than normal value

* that being said i'm not literally wishing for players getting injured. Just saying that'd be an ideal scenario 

I mean, that's how it works, I'm not sure if Kyle is going to be the guy everyone is looking for at the end of the day, but he has improved of late. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

I don't think Palms is a fit for Boston. He is too old to be other than a season ending rental. Based on his present performance he wouldn't even be a good rental for the season ending and the playoffs. Just my thoughts

That's likely what he's going to be...a rental.  And actually part of what will make him appealing to some teams...they'll only be on the hook for this season, then they can say soyonara.  This is not uncommon at all. 

Present performance doesn't matter too much at the moment...there's still another month before the deadline.  He can still get hot...he is getting better chances, but isn't burying them.  His numbers also don't look that bad to outsiders who aren't scouting all of his games.

He's basically at a crossroads, as far as his value goes...he gets on a nice little run soon and his numbers suddenly look similar to what he's done in the prior five seasons, maybe you get something decent back (think 2nd rounder + something else...also depends who else is available and if a team beat up by injuries gets a little desperate).  If he doesn't, he'll still draw some interest based on his track record, but now you're looking at a mid-round pick or two (say, a 3rd and 5th), or a mid-round pick and a mediocre warm body.  Unless he gets hurt, Devils will be able to move him though.        

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I do too, but part of me also wonders what he would be worth at the trade deadline. 

A draft pick that won’t help us for at least five years. I’d rather keep him.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.