GDT: Rags @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG, MSG+2

MadDog2020

Left at 4-1, simply couldn’t take it anymore and knew that they were toast.  It was weird at first (and a little depressing), but the cardboard cutouts do help the seats feel more populated.  The tarps do take you out of things just a little.  Food choices are very limited, and the quality is definitely diminished.  Not sure if we’ll go again, but my issue is really the on-ice product at the moment.  They’re quickly becoming an infuriating and unwatchable bunch. 

Palms is still getting his share of good chances, but the real problem I see with him at the moment is that he’s really become a serious momentum killer.  It’s either a bad penalty, a bad pass...but he just has a way of making a mistake that knocks over the dominos that eventually lead to a goal against.  The chances he’s getting will eventually go in, but for now, I can understand why fans are frustrated with him.

Sometimes it feels like this organization has really become a little too comfortable with losing and waiting until next year.  Probably just my anger talking.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sometimes it feels like this organization has really become a little too comfortable with losing and waiting until next year. 

I don't think that's off-base. I don't know if it's true but I suspect it, too.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sometimes it feels like this organization has really become a little too comfortable with losing and waiting until next year.  Probably just my anger talking

No, I agree 100%. The bar needs to be set higher. There is a standard that was set. I’m sick of these a$$holes not living up to that standard, and being seemingly unbothered by it. The people in charge of setting the tone in this organization need to look up in those rafters and see what’s there. This ain’t the motherfvcking Florida Panthers. We expect more here. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Now I hope they don't delay the draft. It might be all we can look forward to after all if the team isn't even going to be somewhat competitive. 

In case anyone wants to window shop:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

I know some of you guys enjoy the draft and following this stuff but other then hoping we actually draft good players I absolutely couldn't be less interested in this stuff. It's coma inducing for me. I'm ready to fast forward to next season. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean, yeah that makes sense I guess, but....so what? The feed I was watching was the Devils feed.  Is the Rangers feed showing the same programming?  After they cut away from Sam Rosen they're going to Erica for the interviews...???

Yes they did. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know some of you guys enjoy the draft and following this stuff but other then hoping we actually draft good players I absolutely couldn't be less interested in this stuff. It's coma inducing for me. I'm ready to fast forward to next season. 

Remember when we traded prospects for vets who could help win a championship? Hoping we can get there again.

• Like 5

I hope Ruff can get this figured out. The team looks so disjointed right now. It's like a band where the members are all playing different songs. 

They also need to find someone who can keep up with Hughes. I'd really like to see him with Bratt or Zacha but I don't think you can put all 3 on one line until Nico is back

Blackwood is human again and that's not good. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No, I agree 100%. The bar needs to be set higher. There is a standard that was set. I’m sick of these a$$holes not living up to that standard, and being seemingly unbothered by it. The people in charge of setting the tone in this organization need to look up in those rafters and see what’s there. This ain’t the motherfvcking Florida Panthers. We expect more here. 

This. When I saw Vats smiling on the ice with that stupid grin on his face after one of the Rangers (Kreider) scored, I just thought back to when guys like Stevens or Dano would have just the opposite reaction. Winning has to be learned again with this organization.  

Cut the dead wood and focus on the development of the young guys who are hungry. Let Lou take Zajac off our hands, I'm sure he'd love to have him. Vats goodbye. Cannot wait for PK's contract to be up. Trade Palms for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Nass, dont let the door hit your a$$ on the way out. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 4

Just now, slasher72 said:

This. When I was Vats smiling on the ice with that stupid grin on his face after one of the Rangers scored, I just thought back to when guys like Stevens or Dano would have just the opposite reaction. Winning has to be learned again with this organization.  

Cut the dead wood and focus on the development of the young guys who are hungry. Let Lou take Zajac off our hands, I'm sure he'd love to have him. Vats goodbye. Cannot wait for PK's contract to be up. Trade Palms for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Nass, dont let the door hit your a$$ on the way out. 

Vats has been absolute dog sh!t since he’s returned. Yet I see him smiling out there every damn game like losing ain’t a big deal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Now I hope they don't delay the draft. It might be all we can look forward to after all if the team isn't even going to be somewhat competitive. 

In case anyone wants to window shop:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

If we are on the clock and Luke Hughes is available, Luke Hughes is the selection. 1st overall, 5th overall, I don't fvcking care.

If someone like Brandt Clarke is the no-doubt-about-it 1st available player and the Devils have the first pick, I still don't care. Luke. fvcking. Hughes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If we are on the clock and Luke Hughes is available, Luke Hughes is the selection. 1st overall, 5th overall, I don't fvcking care.

If someone like Brandt Clarke is the no-doubt-about-it 1st available player and the Devils have the first pick, I still don't care. Luke. fvcking. Hughes.

It has to be Hughes. The one team that will try to fvck us over for Luke Hughes will be Vancouver. But I'm hoping we're picking before them. They lucked out with Petersson so F them. We need some draft luck here. 

That said, if the NHL has the same stupid format this year and the Rangers get the first or second pick in the '21 draft I will lose my sh*t. 

Edited by slasher72

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Left at 4-1, simply couldn’t take it anymore and knew that they were toast.  It was weird at first (and a little depressing), but the cardboard cutouts do help the seats feel more populated.  The tarps do take you out of things just a little.  Food choices are very limited, and the quality is definitely diminished.  Not sure if we’ll go again, but my issue is really the on-ice product at the moment.  They’re quickly becoming an infuriating and unwatchable bunch. 

Palms is still getting his share of good chances, but the real problem I see with him at the moment is that he’s really become a serious momentum killer.  It’s either a bad penalty, a bad pass...but he just has a way of making a mistake that knocks over the dominos that eventually lead to a goal against.  The chances he’s getting will eventually go in, but for now, I can understand why fans are frustrated with him.

Sometimes it feels like this organization has really become a little too comfortable with losing and waiting until next year.  Probably just my anger talking.

No it isn't.

The irony is as hard as I've been on them the last couple of years, it's easy to excuse some of what's going on this year.  Obviously some guys (cough Blackwood cough) haven't been the same since the COVID pause and all the challenges of this season got exacerbated by that.  No practice, little camp for a team that didn't play in ten months AND an in-season COVID absence combined with the whole black cloud over poor Nico Hischier.  I mean if you'd told me before the season the whole team would get COVID in addition to all of the above I would have been convinced we were last or next to last, which we are now.

That said this current leadership (owners/GM's specifically) hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt from you, me or anyone else.  There has been a total lack of urgency to get things turned around other than last offseason which blew up spectacularly and now we're back in process mode.  Which is fine when you only have 1000 fans in the building and everyone just wants to be back for a game or two, but when they have to sell a full house of tickets again next year for 41 home games it's gonna be ugly.  I'm not going this year but I was kinda looking forward to next season a few weeks ago, but my misplaced optimism for that is just dissipating now too.

Not to mention it's hard to give guys a pass like Palmieri who's probably beaten down from the losing, and Subban who's just never done anything here.  We need veterans to help the kids but at this point it looks like none of these vets are gonna be part of the long-term solution and that's a big issue.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

Disappointing. Disgusting

The Owners have the 76ers, trust me, that is where the interest is at for these owners. I can't remember a year or group of years when both teams were good, competitive, at the same time.

It is not the location that prevents good UFA from wanting to join the Devils. It is the lack of consistent quality of competitive play during the rebuild. They can't seem to put together one (1) good line with two (2) offensive defensemen after how many years of a rebuild.

19 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Disappointing. Disgusting

The Owners have the 76ers, trust me, that is where the interest is at for these owners. I can't remember a year or group of years when both teams were good, competitive, at the same time.

It is not the location that prevents good UFA from wanting to join the Devils. It is the lack of consistent quality of competitive play during the rebuild. They can't seem to put together one (1) good line with two (2) offensive defensemen after how many years of a rebuild.

Disagree. How many top FA’s were the Devils able to land even during the dynasty years? It’s never been a desirable destination even when the team was good. 

• Like 1

Working today , so made the decision to go to bed at the end of the first, which I was pissed off about as we were dominating 17 sog to 5. Though I was going to miss something special. Glad I went to bed. 

What a fvcking disaster. The COVID break absolutely killed momentum for this team. 

That said my expectations for this year were low. As I have said all along I am treating this as a 56 game preseason for next year. Not a popular idea I know , but this is a good opportunity to see what players have and who is dead weight. 

Looking like a lot of dead weight right now. 

We continue to be the easiest team to play against in the league. Disgusting. Defense is pathetic. Palmieri, Johnson, Bratt, Gusev, Zacha play soft ass hockey. With Hughes being a finesse guy we need some muscle to surround him with. I’d say let’s see Foote, but do we really want him surrounded by this toxicity? 

Every time they show Palms he’s whining to the ref running his mouth. Stfu and play hard. This team has no identity. 

Absolute dog sh!t special teams. Nass/Rechi might be the worst combo in the league. Seen enough of Vatanen, but there’s hardly any other options. Walsh ain’t a stopper. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

We continue to be the easiest team to play against in the league.

This is driving me absolutely crazy. They actually were difficult to play against at at the start of the season. They are softer than cotton candy now. It’s one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole season.

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is driving me absolutely crazy. They actually were difficult to play against at at the start of the season. They are softer than cotton candy now. It’s one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole season.

Yeah, Idk what the hell happened to the McLeod/Bastian line. I understand skill guys go in slumps offensively, but those 2 need to be out there hitting everything.

Haven't seen much of the Wood that was terrorizing Boston those first couple games either. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Idk what the hell happened to the McLeod/Bastian line. I understand skill guys go in slumps offensively, but those 2 need to be out there hitting everything.

Haven't seen much of the Wood that was terrorizing Boston those first couple games either. 

Yep. I have no idea what happened to those guys, but none of them are very noticeable anymore.

Edited by MadDog2020

50 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

We continue to be the easiest team to play against in the league. Disgusting. Defense is pathetic. Palmieri, Johnson, Bratt, Gusev, Zacha play soft ass hockey. With Hughes being a finesse guy we need some muscle to surround him with. I’d say let’s see Foote, but do we really want him surrounded by this toxicity? 

Every time they show Palms he’s whining to the ref running his mouth. Stfu and play hard. This team has no identity. 

Absolute dog sh!t special teams. Nass/Rechi might be the worst combo in the league. Seen enough of Vatanen, but there’s hardly any other options. Walsh ain’t a stopper. 

My worries about Bratt are being realised again. He does not have the ability to be consistently good. He has not figured out what he needs to do night after night to be effective. 

• Like 1