GDT: Rangers vs Devils, 3/6/21, 1:00 PM, MSG+2

mfitz804

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love Dano. I just wish he wouldn’t try and sugarcoat literal sh!t. Call sh!t what it is- sh!t.

Playing Devil's advocate a bit but are there really any color commentators out there that are that negative? In a normal season they are around the locker room and guys a lot so that line of criticism/sh!tting on the guys is a fine one to walk. 

I really don't mind the broadcast finding some positives to talk about or them trying to not sh!t on everything. I get enough of the negative aspects of everything (which are rightfully being expressed with how bad this team is) on here, HF and some social media if I wanna go there too. I really don't think we need to hear all that on the broadcasts too, we know the team stinks lol

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love Dano. I just wish he wouldn’t try and sugarcoat literal sh!t. Call sh!t what it is- sh!t.

Playing Devil's advocate a bit but are there really any color commentators out there that are that negative? In a normal season they are around the locker room and guys a lot so that line of criticism/sh!tting on the guys is a fine one to walk. 

I really don't mind the broadcast finding some positives to talk about or them trying to not sh!t on everything. I get enough of the negative aspects of everything (which are rightfully being expressed with how bad this team is) on here, HF and some social media if I wanna go there too. I really don't think we need to hear all that on the broadcasts too, we know the team stinks lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

On that topic, it appears McLeod was not the sole problem that caused the previous loss after all. 

😂

Apparently not. 

As an aside, I tuned into the game about 3 minutes in. A little more than halfway through, I went to see if Palmieri was scratched because I didn't remember seeing him at all. His worst game of the season, I thought.

This leadership meeting did not work. Understatement.

51 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

OK, so you are saying that the coaching starting with Ruff is bad? Who is responsible for preparing them to be mentally strong and play with passion?

Coaching is fine. Sometimes the players need to be held accountable. They’re NHL players. No one should have to be teaching them to play hard and with passion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Especially on the blue line, we are lacking in talent. I was all for Butcher getting a shot, and he hasn't been too good. 

I'm disappointed that McLeod-Bastian-Wood stopped bringing it.

Bastian was pretty good today. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

He's just not very good at being color commentator, and when the team isn't playing too well he REALLY sticks out like a sore thumb with his platitudes. In the NY area, he's not as good as Butch Goring and light years away from Micheletti. 

• Like 1

All I’ve got at this point is given how much better they looked in general prior to the Covid outbreak (and how much THREE teams have struggled in dealing with the aftermath)...can’t help but wonder how much this could be affecting them...not that the outbreak gives this team a free pass for every last issue, but can’t deny that this is a serious factor.

Just sucks that it’s already another “Maybe next year” kind of season.  Seen a lot of those in the last decade.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

He's just not very good at being color commentator, and when the team isn't playing too well he REALLY sticks out like a sore thumb with his platitudes. In the NY area, he's not as good as Butch Goring and light years away from Micheletti. 

I've seen tons of rangers fan complain about Micheletti before and personally I'm not a fan of Goring or him. I think Dano's rough sounding voice doesn't help at times but I believe hes a big cigar guy so that's probably why it sounds rougher every year. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All I’ve got at this point is given how much better they looked in general prior to the Covid outbreak (and how much THREE teams have struggled in dealing with the aftermath)...can’t help but wonder how much this could be affecting them...not that the outbreak gives this team a free pass for every last issue, but can’t deny that this is a serious factor.

Just sucks that it’s already another “Maybe next year” kind of season.  Seen a lot of those in the last decade.

not that far off though. 

49 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Apparently not. 

As an aside, I tuned into the game about 3 minutes in. A little more than halfway through, I went to see if Palmieri was scratched because I didn't remember seeing him at all. His worst game of the season, I thought.

This leadership meeting did not work. Understatement.

You can add a bunch of people to that list. Palmieri, Zajac, Hughes, Kuokkanen, and Johnsson/Andersson all basically took the day off. Bratt took off half the game also. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've seen tons of rangers fan complain about Micheletti before and personally I'm not a fan of Goring or him. I think Dano's rough sounding voice doesn't help at times but I believe hes a big cigar guy so that's probably why it sounds rougher every year. 

Yeah I’ll always be a big fan of Daneyko the ultimate lunchpail guy who was a part of three Cup winners here, but Dano the color guy is not an easy listen.  He was never a natural fit to begin with, and he’s not showing any signs of growing into the job.

• Like 2

BTW Buffalo got beat yet again today (by the Isles).  Their only two wins in their past several games came against another team to deal with a massive Covid outbreak.  Coincidence? 

We need so much help I don’t even know where to start. Free agents won’t want to come here. Trades for top talent won’t happen because of trade clauses. I just don’t know where this team goes from here yet again. Trade away vets that are underachieving for draft picks that will most likely never work out I guess...

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW Buffalo got beat yet again today (by the Isles).  Their only two wins in their past several games came against another team to deal with a massive Covid outbreak.  Coincidence? 

Dont know if you saw this but in case you didn't, it does seem odd that all 3 teams are having this much trouble, even some lingering affects plus the condensed schedule, there has to be something there besides all 3 just being bad considering how they were playing before covid... 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

MD, I know what you are talking about. It is about  making chicken salad out of chicken schitt. I understand you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Dont know if you saw this but in case you didn't, it does seem odd that all 3 teams are having this much trouble, even some lingering affects plus the condensed schedule, there has to be something there besides all 3 just being bad considering how they were playing before covid... 

Yes did see that, and it’s enough to make me wonder if I should keep grading the Devils on the same curve as all of the other teams who didn’t have to deal with so many players getting sick.

A woman that I know who was sick well over a month ago (and who was in excellent shape) is still struggling to get back to where she was prior, in terms of both her strength and endurance.  And of course we’ve heard of various individuals dealing with longer-term effects, even though they’ve technically “recovered”.  Definitely got me wondering how much an NHL hockey team can be derailed by Covid.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes did see that, and it’s enough to make me wonder if I should keep grading the Devils on the same curve as all of the other teams who didn’t have to deal with so many players getting sick.

A woman that I know who was sick well over a month ago (and who was in excellent shape) is still struggling to get back to where she was prior, in terms of both her strength and endurance.  And of course we’ve heard of various individuals dealing with longer-term effects, even though they’ve technically “recovered”.  Definitely got me wondering how much an NHL hockey team can be derailed by Covid.  

Yup and look at Rasmus Ristolainen on Buffalo who only came back on the 27th after getting it during the game against us, he had a rough time and hes a young athlete.

I don't like trying to use this as an excuse but it definitely seems like it's part of the explanation of why this team is doing so poorly.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I  mean I guess, what's their and our excuse for the lack of success for almost as far back as I can remember sans a year or two here and there?  Really not trying to be a douche but we're essentially saying this team was better with AHL plugs than our "better" players.  Any time we're comparing or putting ourselves in a conversation with the hapless Sabres it's time to re-evaluate most everything again just imo.  Nobody in here wants this season to play out this way.  

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Don't know if you saw this but in case you didn't, it does seem odd that all 3 teams are having this much trouble, even some lingering effects plus the condensed schedule, there has to be something there besides all 3 just being bad considering how they were playing before covid... 

I think there is something to be said about what CR is saying about the COVID effect. I also think that these new divisions don:t give a team having problems whether from COVID or lack of talent or a combination of both playing this 56 game schedule. There is no room to breath, train or get a softer team to play for a couple of days. Next up for the Devils after the Rangers today is the Bruins starting tomorrow then the Caps two days later, followed by the Islanders for 3 with a back to back then Savres. All over 11 days. Weak teams don't catch a breath, and they are weak and tired from playing plus COVID. 

I always forget this. Sorry for complaining about the Devils, my bad. I must remember this.

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Well, unfortunately I'm back to watching the Devils because they are on, not because it's something I look forward to.  This week was brutal 

Great way of putting it. That is how I feel. I barely miss a game too....thinking about how often I have felt like that over the years is so depressing too.

12 hours ago, Brewskies said:

MD it is his job.thats what he was told to do.

I mean nobody has to tell Dano to be a homer, the dude is the real life Mr. Devil. I do think there’s some truth to the fact MSG wants homer broadcasts in general though. Especially when they go out of their way to update ‘the playoff chase’ when the Devils are twelve points back in late February lol.

OTOH Chico was always ripped for being a homer on TV but on the radio he doesn’t pull punches as much. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but he gets his point across, he’s even criticized Blackwood the last few games.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2