GDT: Rangers vs Devils, 3/6/21, 1:00 PM, MSG+2

mfitz804

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean nobody has to tell Dano to be a homer, the dude is the real life Mr. Devil. I do think there’s some truth to the fact MSG wants homer broadcasts in general though. Especially when they go out of their way to update ‘the playoff chase’ when the Devils are twelve points back in late February lol.

OTOH Chico was always ripped for being a homer on TV but on the radio he doesn’t pull punches as much. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but he gets his point across, he’s even criticized Blackwood the last few games.

For sure, having met the “real” Chico on multiple occasions, he was definitely much more critical of the Devils (both on and off the ice) than he was on TV.

Who even knows how much of the real Dano we’re getting?  Admittedly, from Erika, I don’t mind her trying to sound enthusiastic and hopeful, regardless of how bad the team is struggling.  But from guys like Sal and Dano, I’d like to hear some real honesty....I get that they won’t go all the way with it, but at least don’t reign it in SO far that you’re coming off as lying company men who can barely criticize what needs criticizing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Great way of putting it. That is how I feel. I barely miss a game too....thinking about how often I have felt like that over the years is so depressing too.

Put me in this group too.  Honestly, I rarely missed a game too, however I have caught glimpses of our last 5-6 during this brutal stretch because my step son has lacrosse almost every Tuesday/Thursday (which incidentally is when we've been playing), and I've had some commitments on the weekends that have made me miss our afternoon matinee games, so on the one hand I'm sort of counting myself lucky that I've not seen all 60 minutes of these terrible hockey games, but on the other hand I still want to watch because when hockey season is over I can't wait til it starts again.  It just sucks so much that the last 5-6 years our season has essentially been "over" 25% of the way through the season, and we end just tuning in just because they're on, but it really becomes meaningless in terms of standings and, God forbid, a potential playoff berth. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean nobody has to tell Dano to be a homer, the dude is the real life, Mr. Devil. I do think there’s some truth to the fact MSG wants homer broadcasts in general though. Especially when they go out of their way to update ‘the playoff chase’ when the Devils are twelve points back in late February lol.

OTOH Chico was always ripped for being a homer on TV but on the radio, he doesn’t pull punches as much. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but he gets his point across, he’s even criticized Blackwood the last few games.

Yeah, he is and has always been "Mr. Devil." I like that. Like I said MSGTV tells him to almost always be positive about the Devils. The contract is the Devils to  MSGTV.  I didn't pick up on the playoff chase comment. I was repeating info from when Chico had Dano's job. Regarding Chico criticizing Blackwood at times on the radio, I remember times he did the same of Brodeur, but it was rare and at the end of Brodeur's life with the Devils. Who would want a broadcast network that they contracted with to be bad mouthing the team or players?

Have a nice day

1 hour ago, Brewskies said:

Who would want a broadcast network that they contracted with to be bad mouthing the team or players?

Have a nice day

I agree. Who wants neutral coverage of their team? That’s why national broadcasts suck. Your color guy is supposed to be a homer. 

And people who complain about his voice being too gravely, that I don’t get. Makes zero difference to me at all, and I don’t know why anyone would care. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

You’re acting like there’s black and white and no gray. 

Nobody is saying they want Daneyko to say “oh get this fvcking trash heap off the ice”. But infuriating an entire fanbase by screaming “OH MYYYYY” at every missed chance and acting like the Devils are losing based on pure luck every single game is infuriating.

Chico was a homer, but Chico knew when to shut the fvck up. Did you play sports growing up? The car ride home, if your dad was rambling about how the loss wasn’t your fault and how unlucky you were and wouldn’t shut the fvck up, do you remember how annoying that is? 

It’s fine that he’s a homer. It’s not fine that he’s hideously annoying to listen to, has a horrible voice, has the worst “catch phrase” I’ve ever heard (OHHH MYYYYY) and chooses devastating & infuriating moments in the game to stroke the Devils off. 

8BA84C26-5F03-4903-82CC-4BFB3621D520.gif

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re acting like there’s black and white and no gray. 

Nobody is saying they want Daneyko to say “oh get this fvcking trash heap off the ice”. But infuriating an entire fanbase by screaming “OH MYYYYY” at every missed chance and acting like the Devils are losing based on pure luck every single game is infuriating.

Chico was a homer, but Chico knew when to shut the fvck up. Did you play sports growing up? The car ride home, if your dad was rambling about how the loss wasn’t your fault and how unlucky you were and wouldn’t shut the fvck up, do you remember how annoying that is? 

It’s fine that he’s a homer. It’s not fine that he’s hideously annoying to listen to, has a horrible voice, has the worst “catch phrase” I’ve ever heard (OHHH MYYYYY) and chooses devastating & infuriating moments in the game to stroke the Devils off. 

One of the many nice things about TV and TV broadcasts is that you, yes you, can turn the sound off and still watch.