2021 NFL Offseason thread

NJDevs4978

Jesus H...what a fvcking joke.  Maybe this means BB is drafting a QB, but doesn't want to throw him to the wolves right away.  But Cam was fvcking TERRIBLE last year...was it really necessary to bring HIM back?!  

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently the Patriots are signing everyone on the first day of FA, so much for rebuilding.

It almost seems like BB is saying "I have tons of cap space, I gotta use it all right now!"

If he still had Brady, I'd understand what are clearly "win now" moves.  Or even they had brought in a QB considerably better than Cam...that's where this whole thing really falls apart.  They don't have the QB (or receivers for that matter)...Cam is not any good.    

As we’ve seen with Lou, guys who have won for a long time are going to be stubborn about admitting when it’s over and time to rebuild.

Honestly though I wish the Jets had some of that urgency. Joe Douglas is starting to come off a bit Shero/Fitzish, we’ll spend for the right guy...that never comes. And we’ll keep trading our best players for futures. 

Not so much to win now but at least to have an NFL offense again and not to have whoever their QB winds up being (it’s clearly not gonna be Darnold) atrophy the way Darnold did.

Edited by NJDevs4978

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As we’ve seen with Lou, guys who have won for a long time are going to be stubborn about admitting when it’s over and time to rebuild.

Honestly though I wish the Jets had some of that urgency. Joe Douglas is starting to come off a bit Shero/Fitzish, we’ll spend for the right guy...that never comes. And we’ll keep trading our best players for futures. 

Not so much to win now but at least to have an NFL offense again and not to have whoever their QB winds up being (it’s clearly not gonna be Darnold) atrophy the way Darnold did.

Yeah, sometimes guys like Lou or BB almost need to go somewhere else, where there's some pieces in place, and they find ways to add to it, or a place where they're not as emotionally invested, and can make those seemingly "cold-hearted" moves needed to cut deadwood or trade popular (but aging) players.

I was really hoping BB was going to embrace a true rebuild.  This really feels like some expensive Band-Aiding...using up cap space because you can, and ignoring that there's too many weaknesses to think that there's blood worth squeezing out of the stone.  Guess the goal is to go 8-8 or thereabouts, then yeah, maybe they do that.  If all breaks absolutely perfectly, maybe 10 wins?  Obviously still have the draft coming up, but not like the Pats have an outrageous amount of picks to work with...if they had, say, the Dolphins' picks (3 and 18 overall...total of four out of the first 50 picks), I could understand some "fast track" moves.  Just doesn't feel like these right now moves are the right ones to be making.  

Henry's a bit of a risk...he's injury-prone.  But the TE position has clearly been massively upgraded, with those signings.  

The Patriots are dominating the backpages for sure so far, but again, huge hole at the QB position.  One simulator has them winning about 8 or 9 games with all of these moves.  It's almost like BB thinks Tom's still his QB, and is loading up for one last year or two.  Nice to have improved targets to throw to, but need someone who can actually get the targets the ball.

NE did well. Can't lie. I mean you can see what is going on here. Belichick at his age doesn't have time to build up steadily again. They're trying to load up for one post Brady run. And Miami/Buffalo were no picnic last year. The Jets will be better but probably still beat up on and go 5-11...6-10. But NE/Buffalo/Miami are three tough teams

Edited by '7'

Just now, '7' said:

NE did well. Can't lie. I mean you can see what is going on here. Belichick at his age doesn't have time to build up steadily again. They're trying to load up for one post Brady run

All well and good and I get that, but you can't sell me on Cam being the guy who's supposed to take them there.  It's like buying a car and upgrading the rims, installing a body kit, getting a new paint job, and completely re-doing the interior, but not touching the engine (which clearly NEEDS touching).  

The chatter is that Cam is more of an insurance policy, and that the Pats aren't done at the QB position just yet.  Hopefully that's true.  

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All well and good and I get that, but you can't sell me on Cam being the guy who's supposed to take them there.  It's like buying a car and upgrading the rims, installing a body kit, getting a new paint job, and completely re-doing the interior, but not touching the engine (which clearly NEEDS touching).  

The chatter is that Cam is more of an insurance policy, and that the Pats aren't done at the QB position just yet.  Hopefully that's true.  

I don't think they are. I mean Belichick wanted to switch to Garoppolo earlier...there were rumors NE was very heavily pressing to trade way up and grab Baker Mayfield a few years ago (not sure if it was true) also apparently they wanted Josh Morgan who the Jets drafted as a project type. Patriots are not settled at QB position at all

Curious to see where everything goes with the Deshaun Watson sexual harassment accusations.

To be fair, it's reached the point where if someone is accused (especially a man), it's almost automatically assumed that he's guilty...the accusers are taken at their word from the get-go.

Not saying that he's been wrongly accused in the slightest...just that I want to see it all play out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...