GDT: Devils vs Islanders 3/14/21 5:00pm ESPN+ MSG

NJDfan1711

Does it even matter?  I likely won't catch any of this one, and I'm kinda glad, which is a bit depressing, because I, like everyone else, am tired of essentially tossing away season after season after just 15-20 games in.  I think the worst part is that I really don't know what to say or do anymore, because we have a young team now, so we can't use the excuse of old and aging vets in the late Lou era, and we've also changed out most of the coaching staff as well, and also our goalie situation is finally different compared to Cory and whoever was backing him up....so... what's left to do?  Just wait a few years, get some high draft picks as we suck for a few more season, and then hope that the young guys we have now get better?  

I haven't posted any line combos that I'd like to see this season, so I guess I'll take a shot at it now, even if they don't listen to me.

Bratt - Hughes - Gusev

Kuokkanen - Zacha - Sharangovich

Maltsev - Zajac - Palmieri

Johnsson - McLeod - Wood

Yes, I'd dress Gusev and put him on the first line.  This team is barely scoring as it is so if Gusev still doesn't find the net then we aren't losing much, but we know he has the ability to finish, and Hughes desperately needs someone who can finish, so I think it's worth a try.  Kuokkanen deserves more ice time and so does Zacha.  I think they might be able to develop some chemistry with Sharangovich who has some speed and could be a good fit on a line with them.  Demoting Palmieri to the third line might be the kick in the ass he needs - or, if it has no effect, at least he's not gobbling up a ton of minutes that could be better spent on someone else.   I'd scratch Bastian even though I like his physicality, because he got burned badly last game and I think he still needs to prove himself.  If Johnsson doesn't do much then he can be a healthy scratch since I know McLeod and Bastian have a good connection together and this team does need some size at some point.

Smith - Severson

Subban - Kulikov

Vatanen - Murray

Smith looks like our best d-man by far and he deserves top minutes, and maybe he'll keep Severson honest, or if he fvcks up, he can at least try to cover for him.  Kulikov seems dependable and maybe he'll balance the dumb chances Subban seems to take at some point throughout every game.  Vatanen looks terrible lately, slow and just bad, so his time should be limited, but I'm not sure Butcher looked any better so he can still remain scratched.  Maybe we can call up Tennyson or someone, but I don't like the depth we have in the minors right now either.  Murray has been alright I guess... I expected him to be better, but he's only 20 games in with us, so it's still very early. 

Wedgewood

Blackwood

Blackwood, by all accounts, was fine yesterday, but start Wedge since it's a back-to-back.  

Anyway...that's my attempt at both logic, and also mixing things up.  Like I said before...what do we have to lose?  

Simply getting our PP and PK going would be a HUGE difference. 

We're mostly always losing by just 1 goal. We're not getting completely destroyed and losing by 5-6 goals like we're seeing other teams do around the league. Plus the guys are never quitting and always try until the very end.

So yeah it sucks right now but we're closer than it seem. If our PK and PP could start being at least decent, that's the 1 goal difference right there every game

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Simply getting our PP and PK going would be a HUGE difference. 

We're mostly always losing by just 1 goal. We're not getting completely destroyed and losing by 5-6 goals like we're seeing other teams do around the league. Plus the guys are never quitting and always try until the very end.

So yeah it sucks right now but we're closer than it seem. If our PK and PP could start being at least decent, that's the 1 goal difference right there every game

The PK has been fine lately. The PP is what’s losing them games. 

Also, Gusev on the 1st line might be the worst idea I’ve ever seen. :P

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

The PK has been fine lately. The PP is what’s losing them games. 

Also, Gusev on the 1st line might be the worst idea I’ve ever seen. :P

This year we had Miles Wood on the first line, now he's on the 4th line, and we also had Travis Zajac on the first line at some point last year I think, so.... whatever :D 

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This year we had Miles Wood on the first line, now he's on the 4th line, and we also had Travis Zajac on the first line at some point last year I think, so.... whatever :D 

Wood deserved it though. 

I wouldn't bother dressing Goose again, at all. He took half a season to get going last season and has done nothing to show he deserves a place in the team this season. I'd rather they called up another one of the kids to see what they can do. It couldn't possibly be any worse.

They didn't play that badly yesterday, so they need to start like they did yesterday and take a couple more of the chances they created and try and cut out the lapses of concentration at the back.

LGD!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I wouldn't bother dressing Goose again, at all. He took half a season to get going last season and has done nothing to show he deserves a place in the team this season. I'd rather they called up another one of the kids to see what they can do. It couldn't possibly be any worse.

They didn't play that badly yesterday, so they need to start like they did yesterday and take a couple more of the chances they created and try and cut out the lapses of concentration at the back.

LGD!

Agreed. Call up Merkley or Boqvist before putting Gusev back in there. My choice would be Merkley. He has 5 points in 9 GP as a Devil, and he’ll bring way more than a finesse forward like Gusev who contributes absolutely nothing when he’s not scoring. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Agreed. Call up Merkley or Boqvist before putting Gusev back in there. My choice would be Merkley. He has 5 points in 9 GP as a Devil, and he’ll bring way more than a finesse forward like Gusev who contributes absolutely nothing when he’s not scoring. 

I am not a big fan of Merkley, and not a fan of Boqvist at all, but I agree with this completely. 

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wood deserved it though. 

True. Problem now though is that almost no one deserves it at the moment, so you have to pick someone.  

9 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

LGD!

I feel you, I just can't as easily forget the fact that he has a pretty awesome shot, and some slick moves - I think with the right linemates and opportunities, maybe he can break out.  People may say he started slow last year, and perhaps he did, but he ended up with 44 points in 66 games - that's not bad at all - over an 82 game season perhaps he gets 50-60. Also...that was his FIRST season in the NHL.  I realize he hasn't done sh!t this year, but hardly anyone on our team has, and as we all know it's been a weird year for almost everyone/all teams, so perhaps a degree of latitude should be extended to Goose, all things considered. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I forgot about Merkley - I wouldn't mind seeing him called up.  I also forgot about Boqvist...wonder why he hasn't gotten much action.  I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him too, but I feel like Goose has more potential to be an impact player on the team at the moment.

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Not counting the finals appearance, the last time we won a playoff series was 2007. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hey, it could always be worse. Buffalo hasn’t even made the playoffs in a decade, their best player is out for the “foreseeable future” (although I guess so is Nico), their #1OA is regressing mightily this season, and they have possibly the only coach worse than John Hynes...

so basically at least we aren’t Buffalo.

Also, why wouldn’t we count the Cup run year? 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

I just hope some of the vets can be scratched. There is no rhyme or reason why a Sami Vatanen or Kyle Palmieri has an automatic spot in this team. Give Boqvist some ice time. Let Bratt play 18 minutes to get him the opportunity to get going. Do everything to get the younger players better for next season.

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

At least we’re not Sabres fans, thank freaking god for that.

How about a home win, as I nurse yet another unintentional hangover...

Basically like being happy you stepped in dog sh!t because at least it wasn’t elephant sh!t. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Basically like being happy you stepped in dog sh!t because at least it wasn’t elephant sh!t. 

Not really. They don’t have the memories of a Cup run, or an MVP season from one of their players. As bad as things have been for the Devils over the past decade + there’s at least been a couple bright spots. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Also, why wouldn’t we count the Cup run year? 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Why wouldn't you count that though?

Because I'm putting it aside as an aberration? I'm not saying it "doesn't count", I'm saying aside from that one iota of cinderella success, we have been dogsh!t for the better part of the last decade and a half and there's no end in sight. I would say we're the new NYR but they haven't done sh!t since 94 (again, aside from one finals appearance) anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really. They don’t have the memories of a Cup run, or an MVP season from one of their players. As bad as things have been for the Devils over the past decade + there’s at least been a couple bright spots. 

yeah plus they have 0 Stanley cups.

We've been incredibly spoiled as fans. Sure it hasnt been great in the last 10 years. But that was following 20 great years. Many many many many teams out there had 30 okay to terrible years.

Personally my stance is that I saw my team being really successful consistently for decades and win it all a few times. Saw some legendary players too. Arguably the best goalie of all time. Anything after that is really gravy.

Imagine being a Leafs fan or many other teams who NEVER won anything in their lifetime? 

I'm still really proud to be a Devils fans cause i got all the stuff out of the way 

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah plus they have 0 Stanley cups.

We've been incredibly spoiled as fans. Sure it hasnt been great in the last 10 years. But that was following 20 great years. Many many many many teams out there had 30 okay to terrible years.

Personally my stance is that I saw my team being really successful consistently for decades and win it all a few times. Saw some legendary players too. Arguably the best goalie of all time. Anything after that is really gravy.

Imagine being a Leafs fan or many other teams who NEVER won anything in their lifetime? 

I'm still really proud to be a Devils fans cause i got all the stuff out of the way 

That’s a good outlook to have.