GDT: Devils vs Islanders 3/14/21 5:00pm ESPN+ MSG

NJDfan1711

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just watched it and I think they got it right with Bernier...that was pretty bad.  The refs missed the one on Gio just before though.

I remember being furious with Bernier at the time...enough so that I never wanted to see him in a Devils uniform again.  

Same. But I was even more curious that we gave up 3 goals. Complete breakdown. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just watched it and I think they got it right with Bernier...that was pretty bad.  The refs missed the one on Gio just before though.

I remember being furious with Bernier at the time...enough so that I never wanted to see him in a Devils uniform again.  

I wanted Bernier gone too. It felt like he had undone everything with one stupid play. 

I wasn't expecting a cup, especially after being 3-0 in the series, but going out like that sucked. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

10000%.  I remember not being pissed at the refs, I was livid with Bernier.  It definitely looked like a penalty to me at the time, and it didn't seem like there was any reason to do it.  Granted them having scored 3 times probably made me even more made, but I remember being enraged even before they scored one goal.  You could tell it was a game changer.

To me it was just a horrible decision.  I’ll never understand what he was thinking there.

In other news...the Devils PK is now at 70.5% on the season...so I welcome the PK into the “on the spectrum” level of bad overall.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Same. But I was even more curious that we gave up 3 goals. Complete breakdown. 

Yeah, one of those games that was over before it ever really had a chance to breathe.  Then the Kings scored again early in the second, just to drive the nails in a little deeper.  You just knew you were counting down until the Kings were hoisting the Cup.  

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm with you.  I'm only a few years older than you so I can relate to that - most of us, either by age or even just the fact that this franchise isn't that old, were used to being perennial playoff teams and it basically being a formality for us to make it to the post-season each year.   I'd be lying if I said it isn't getting harder with each passing year to hold on to those years and memories so that they remain vivid in my mind, and perhaps serve as reasons to be hopeful and optimistic, but at the same time that's what makes us great fans...the fact that we can get through really dark and sh!tty times like this and still tune in night after night, hoping and waiting patiently for the day that our team is good (or great) again. 

To steal some words from you, don't get me wrong, I'd MUCH rather have our team be so consistently good that we have another 10-15 years of playoffs on our hands, however if fate makes it such that we become someone like the Blues or the Capitals where we don't win a Cup for a couple decades, then, well...I guess it's going to make that next eventual Cup that much sweeter.

Very very well said. I just want to be able to truly enjoy a cup. I became a fan in 1992 so I didn't have so suffer through the losing that made 1995 so sweet 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very very well said. I just want to be able to truly enjoy a cup. I became a fan in 1992 so I didn't have so suffer through the losing that made 1995 so sweet 

The funny thing was as bad as the 80s were, it really wasn’t that long of a stretch of futility, as far as their time in NJ went...the team’s first season was 82-83, and they had the big run in 87-88...missed the playoffs in 88-89, but would only miss them in 95-96 and 10-11.  Obviously a whole boatload of misses since 2012.

Lately my daughter has been saying more and more “Daddy, are the Devils EVER going to be good?!”  Her Devils experience has been so different than mine...she’s known almost nothing but losing.  

• Like 1

As frustrating as the results have been, this team is playing 4-5 games a damn week with no practice time whatsoever. For a team made up of a lot of young players who could use the instruction and physical breaks, that’s a major blow. Throw in the post-covid recoveries and not having Nico, and this season is almost like a pass. Still sucks though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

As frustrating as the results have been, this team is playing 4-5 games a damn week with no practice time whatsoever. For a team made up of a lot of young players who could use the instruction and physical breaks, that’s a major blow. Throw in the post-covid recoveries and not having Nico, and this season is almost like a pass. Still sucks though.

Agree and this is really the right approach.  I have to remind myself for a team like the Devils, this is more like an extended preseason.

And yeah, Covid outbreak + an extremely condensed schedule is painfully tough sledding.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Well, as long as we’re rehashing old grudges about the 2012 cup finals, someone has to mention Mark Fayne missing a golden chance to possibly win game 1 late in the 3rd.  

One of my worst memories from that series was that Kovalchuk crossbar late in the 3rd in game 2. If I remember correctly, there was like 20 seconds left. If he scores that, the series is tied up at 1 going back to LA. Whole different story.

I honestly feel like we never got the props we deserved in that series. Games 1 and 2 finished 2-1 in OT. We were in it the whole time. We win one of those and it's a whole different series.

But imo, our "Stanley Cup" that year was beating the Rangers in the ECF. That Henrique OT goal is probably one of my best sports moments ever. The Flyers series was also insane. It felt so good to put it in their face after their fans thought they were running away with the series after winning game 1.

Nobody could bother me during those playoffs, I was in the zone watching the games lol. I pretty much remember every goal scored, and I revisit the highlights once in a while. Great moments for me, all around. 

I can't wait for this young core to get back to that level. I'm confident it'll be sooner rather than later.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 5

As far as Bernier.........that King turned last second.........double minor max

Gio scrunched seconds earlier........ no call.

Game 3 when Marty had the puck covered for almost two seconds under his pad, should have been a whistle there........ none,dislodged, awarded. 

Hell, I'm still pissed about the refs waving off Boschmann's goal in'91

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Well, as long as we’re rehashing old grudges about the 2012 cup finals, someone has to mention Mark Fayne missing a golden chance to possibly win game 1 late in the 3rd.  

And Kovy in the waning seconds of Game 2

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree, we absolutely are heading in the right direction and I like a lot of the young core. Koukkanen looks like a steal. Hughes will only get better. Smith will only get better. Nico is growing. It would be nice to see these kids play for something soon

To me this season is like the best case scenario.

I mean we're losing SO many games by 1 goals. We've missed a bunch of games, the guys can't really practice much. New system for everyone. And we're missing our captain / top player. We have a bunch of vets not getting it done. Our upcoming prospects i feel once they hit their prime will be better than our vets not doing much now and our young guys will get better. So our PP and PK will get better and all those 1 goals games were losing will be different.

Plus i mean, games like today... to me "we technically won". Bratt having his skate one inch outside didn't interfere with the play or wtv... so our guys made a play in OT that won the game. Technicalities took it away and we lost a point. But honestly who cares about points right now? Our guys did get out there and won the game.

The best case scenario this season is that our kids are showing a lot of good things, get experience, and that we get the best prospect that we can to join our young core. And well everything that is happening right now is exactly that. I'm not like actively rooting for the team to tank but I understand that it's ideal at the moment.

Plus obviously it's hilarious that Subban scored the GW and that it didnt count lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

As if extending a team record for most consecutive home losses in this team's history wasn't bad enough we really gotta go down miserable memory lane about a final that could have been? Woof

Right? I was just thinking...”fun topic guys” lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

As if extending a team record for most consecutive home losses in this team's history wasn't bad enough we really gotta go down miserable memory lane about a final that could have been? Woof

Just now, Nicomo said:

Right? I was just thinking...”fun topic guys” lol

Nostalgia's hitting tonight :(

57 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

As far as Bernier.........that King turned last second.........double minor max

Game 3 when Marty had the puck covered for almost two seconds under his pad, should have been a whistle there........ none,dislodged, awarded. 

Exactly i was more pissed at scuderi for drawing that call.

And jeff carter has his stick in martys glove on one of the goals

I knew devils were gonna go all the way and fall short but it didnt matter, my fav devils team for me.

Also all the ownership problems going on at the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

"You know what everyone needs after another crushing home loss, a tale of sporting  defeat and dispair from our recent history , that always make me feel better."

Season 1 Episode 105 GIF by Rick and Morty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lateralous said:

How about Kovy ringing one off the pipe right before the end of regulation in game 2/4? The game that was eventually ended by Jeff Carter.

My dad and I were in attendance and I still hear that *ping* in my nightmares.

I know the end results make it look like the Devils were never even in that series, but one bounce here and one bounce there and I think the Devils could've easily pushed to 7 games.

• Like 1