2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

It pained me to write the date in that order, what is wron with you people?!

Anyway, less than a month to go to the deadline. Barring some miracle run looks like we will be sellers once again. This is the list of our UFA's for the summer: 

Screenshot_20210317-145604_Firefox.thumb.jpg.0c199ab2501e87aac075f8896874c3f3.jpg

Clearly out prized asset is Palms (certainly from those on the outside anyway). But there are a few prices there that may be of interest to other teams. 

Anyway, thought we could keep track of any trades or rumours in here. 

Zajac won’t go. 

Everyone else (minus one goalie because we need two) can go. 

Palms is probably the top of the list, but guys like Murray, Vatanen, Tennyson and Kulikov could fill gaps for teams that have injuries and such. Of the 4 I want to keep Kulikov, but if he hasn’t been extended, he is probably the most valuable of the 4. 

Carrick could have been had for free and there were no takers .

Who the fvck is Ben Street lol. 

• Like 1

Palms has one goal and two assists in his last 13 GP, and is a -11 (and at times has looked, well, bad).  Unless he picks it up soon (or some team really is that desperate), he's fetching a second-rounder, absolute tops.  Sadly we might be talking 3rd and 5th rounder, if he's still not providing much offense.  

As much as I hate to admit it, if I'm a scout watching Palms right now, I gotta wonder if he's really going to help my team all that much in 2021.  I get the feeling there will be interest in him next season, on a one-year "show me" deal...but at least in that situation, all it's going to cost a team is some money.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Palms has one goal and two assists in his last 13 GP, and is a -11 (and at times has looked, well, bad).  Unless he picks it up soon (or some team really is that desperate), he's fetching a second-rounder, absolute tops.  Sadly we might be talking 3rd and 5th rounder, if he's still not providing much offense.  

As much as I hate to admit it, if I'm a scout watching Palms right now, I gotta wonder if he's really going to help my team all that much in 2021.  I get the feeling there will be interest in him next season, on a one-year "show me" deal...but at least in that situation, all it's going to cost a team is some money.   

While he has made smart moves for sure, I never underestimate the post-Devils Lou in his making of deadline deals and overpaying.

Good thread. 

I think Zajac to the Isles is more likely than Palmieri. We all know Lou’s infatuation with former players. Based on system and how that team is constructed, he’d probably find success. 

Being a familiar system, with Lou, with Andy - if he’s going to waive his ntc, it’s going to be to nyi. 

Palmieri’s value is horrible now. I debate in my head if I’d rather see him produce more now and take up minutes and get flipped for something, or if it’s better off giving those minutes and hopeful production to someone who’s going to be here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Good thread. 

I think Zajac to the Isles is more likely than Palmieri. We all know Lou’s infatuation with former players. Based on system and how that team is constructed, he’d probably find success. 

Being a familiar system, with Lou, with Andy - if he’s going to waive his ntc, it’s going to be to nyi. 

Palmieri’s value is horrible now. I debate in my head if I’d rather see him produce more now and take up minutes and get flipped for something, or if it’s better off giving those minutes and hopeful production to someone who’s going to be here. 

If the Devils were playing for something this year, you could debate sitting him...but their best move is to keep playing him and hope that he gets hot...whoever is behind him here that's deserving of more minutes will be getting them soon enough.  But the only chance the Devils have of upping Palms' value is to play him.   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils were playing for something this year, you could debate sitting him...but their best move is to keep playing him and hope that he gets hot...whoever is behind him here that's deserving of more minutes will be getting them soon enough.  But the only chance the Devils have of upping Palms' value is to play him.   

Palmieri is in a horrific slump but I believe that this is what it is -- a slump. He has to keep playing. He leads our team in shots on goal, for cryin out loud! He had a brutal game against the Islanders recently (the first one of the 3 game series), but other than that, he gets his chances but does not bury them. A decline in skills? I don't see it as that but I could be wrong. 

If you believe the good regression may be coming, you can see why Palmieri might still have value and more than one team willing to make a trade and benefit from that. What can we get, I don't know, but I don't rule out a second rounder. He hasn't been good, but when a goal scorer doesn't score, it just makes everything look horrible, maybe worse than it really is. 

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Good thread. 

I think Zajac to there does make sense but I really have 0 interest in helping the Islanders win anything so I personally don't want to see it happen unless the trade is just simply way too good to give up. If its just a late second round pick? Hard pass. 

I'm sure he might be more willing to waive it to go elsewhere too since he's a ufa after this season. Much easier to go to wherever for just 3-4 months and that's only if that team goes deep anyway than having to go somewhere for almost 1.5 years like last year if he would have waived his ntc. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Palmieri is in a horrific slump but I believe that this is what it is -- a slump. He has to keep playing. He leads our team in shots on goal, for cryin out loud! He had a brutal game against the Islanders recently (the first one of the 3 game series), but other than that, he gets his chances but does not bury them. A decline in skills? I don't see it as that but I could be wrong. 

If you believe the good regression may be coming, you can see why Palmieri might still have value and more than one team willing to make a trade and benefit from that. What can we get, I don't know, but I don't rule out a second rounder. He hasn't been good, but when a goal scorer doesn't score, it just makes everything look horrible, maybe worse than it really is. 

When he wasn't scoring in the past, he didn't look as bad as he has a number of times this season.  I agree that for a while that he was getting better chances, but even those have been harder to come by lately.

I think it's more than a slump...sometimes a good player just has a rotten year, and simply never gets it going...within that season.  And this season is a weird one...for all we know, Palms is one of those guys who needs a normal camp, preseason, schedule and practices to be at his best.  Even if he never snaps out of it this season, I wouldn't necessarily write him off as being finished.  But this year does feel like one that's destined to be a lost one for Palms.

I still don't see any option that makes sense outside of playing him though.  I get that a number of fans have turned on him, but all they have to do is suck it up watching him until the deadline.  It's not like he's stopping the Devils from climbing into the playoff chase.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Doesn’t Zajac have a NMC that he already has refused to exercise previously?

Yes but he wasn't a ufa after the season, he is this season. There's a big difference being away from your family for 3-4 months tops to possibly win a cup vs having to move them or be away from them for 1.5 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yes but he wasn't a ufa after the season, he is this season. There's a big difference being away from your family for 3-4 months tops to possibly win a cup vs having to move them or be away from them for 1.5 seasons. 

I can totally see Zajac either returning as a Devil or just hanging them up. 

24 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That’s true. 

This is ......weird. 

Cant get Taylor Hall, the next logical step is Miles Wood. 

Aslo on Palms I have seen recent articles still referencing him as a 30 goal scorer. I imagine GMs are not this stupid. But you never know. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

9 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That anyone thinks that Miles Wood is an alternative to Taylor Hall. 

Cost controlled, plays like a son of a bitch, and its not the direct comparison to Hall, I draw it more to being Coleman.

Hell, if we get that kinda return for Wood, regardless of his surge as a factor for us, sign me up.

Why are we talking about trading Wood? He’s young, he plays balls to the wall (which not enough people on this team do), he goes to the net, he scores goals, he’s cheap, and he isn’t gonna be a UFA in a year and a half like Blake Coleman was gonna be when we traded him. So just because Craig Button wants the Leafs to ‘target Miles Wood’ it’s gonna happen? Because I think the Devils should target Connor McDavid. If we can’t get him, we should target Nathan MacKinnon. If that fails- let’s target Crosby.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Cost controlled, plays like a son of a bitch, and its not the direct comparison to Hall, I draw it more to being Coleman.

Hell, if we get that kinda return for Wood, regardless of his surge as a factor for us, sign me up.

The compariso was to Coleman.  But they are were looking for alternatives for Hall. I don't think Coleman or Wood are valid alternatives to Hall. 

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Why are we talking about trading Wood? He’s young, he plays balls to the wall (which not enough people on this team do), he goes to the net, he scores goals, he’s cheap, and he isn’t gonna be a UFA in a year and a half like Blake Coleman was gonna be when we traded him. So just because Craig Button wants the Leafs to ‘target Miles Wood’ it’s gonna happen? Because I think the Devils should target Connor McDavid. If we can’t get him, we should target Nathan MacKinnon. If that fails- let’s target Crosby.

Well, if the Leafs target Miles Wood, they have a shot at getting him. The Leafs could make an offer that makes Fitzgerald pull the trigger.

• Like 1