2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'll say, I'd much rather trade Palmieri for a decent upside type young player than a 2nd round pick. I know that sounds silly, but I'm thinking of something like Palmieri + 3rd round pick for DeBrusk, who's been benched and scratched this year but plays the game like Miles Wood.

I met Adam Oates a few times (played hockey with him, which was unreal!) and he said once "you can never have enough motherfvckers on your team. You need players who make the other side scream "motherfvcker!" for 60 minutes."

The Devils have Wood and... that's it. Coleman was a motherfvcker. McLeod might turn into a motherfvcker. But Debrusk is a certified, fvck-this-dude, motherfvcker. 

I’d do that all day. 

Careful with DeBrusk.  He has 11 points in his last 47 NHL games (reg season and playoffs).  But if Palms is definitely on the way out, at least the Devils would be getting back a guy who does bring a needed element, and has been more productive in the not-too-distant past.  

35 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'll say, I'd much rather trade Palmieri for a decent upside type young player than a 2nd round pick. I know that sounds silly, but I'm thinking of something like Palmieri + 3rd round pick for DeBrusk, who's been benched and scratched this year but plays the game like Miles Wood.

I met Adam Oates a few times (played hockey with him, which was unreal!) and he said once "you can never have enough motherfvckers on your team. You need players who make the other side scream "motherfvcker!" for 60 minutes."

The Devils have Wood and... that's it. Coleman was a motherfvcker. McLeod might turn into a motherfvcker. But Debrusk is a certified, fvck-this-dude, motherfvcker. 

I feel like Bastian can become one of those guys as well. Another thing with Wood we have an MFer guy who can put in 20 goals, so I wouldn't want to trade him unless it was absolutely ridiculous not to. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Careful with DeBrusk.  He has 11 points in his last 47 NHL games (reg season and playoffs).  But if Palms is definitely on the way out, at least the Devils would be getting back a guy who does bring a needed element, and has been more productive in the not-too-distant past.  

That’s the only reason DeBrusk might be available. At only 24 years old, I think he could be an upgrade from Palmieri, if he can get back where he was. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s the only reason DeBrusk might be available. At only 24 years old, I think he could be an upgrade from Palmieri, if he can get back where he was. 

Doubt he'll be as productive as Palms was the past five seasons, but he'll bring a different element.  And it's up in the air if the Palms of the past will ever be the Palms of the present and future.  

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

taylor hall barely fetched a first coming off a Hart winning season. Why would anyone trade more for a declining 30-year old in a pandemic shortened season? 

If Kyle Palmieri gets us better than a 3rd I’ll celebrate like a psychopath. 

Considering Lou gave up a 2nd for Greene I think a 1st for Palmieri is realistic. Especially with Lee out for the season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Doubt he'll be as productive as Palms was the past five seasons, but he'll bring a different element.  And it's up in the air if the Palms of the past will ever be the Palms of the present and future.  

I also doubt Palms will be as productive as Palms was the past five seasons. 

Keep in mind, we are not talking about trading talent for talent here, we're talking about trading a 30 year old on an expiring contract to a contender. The return you get is going to be in exchange for the other team receiving what, 20 games plus the playoffs, from Palms?

While I still think its dangerous to evaluate anyone based on this abortion of a season, we're talking about the choice between trading Palms for something or losing him for free. If you can get a 24 year old former first rounder with a history of a 27 goal season and a 19 goal season, and 126 points over 223 games, that also brings some of that Wood type intensity, I think that's a guy you should look at. 

That said, did I accidentally Google Louie DeBrusk? Yes, yes I did. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I also doubt Palms will be as productive as Palms was the past five seasons. 

Keep in mind, we are not talking about trading talent for talent here, we're talking about trading a 30 year old on an expiring contract to a contender. The return you get is going to be in exchange for the other team receiving what, 20 games plus the playoffs, from Palms?

While I still think its dangerous to evaluate anyone based on this abortion of a season, we're talking about the choice between trading Palms for something or losing him for free. If you can get a 24 year old former first rounder with a history of a 27 goal season and a 19 goal season, and 126 points over 223 games, that also brings some of that Wood type intensity, I think that's a guy you should look at. 

That said, did I accidentally Google Louie DeBrusk? Yes, yes I did. 

Yeah, hard to think you're going to do much better for Palms at the moment.  I'd take this chance.  And like I've said, there's still a chance you could just bring Palms back anyway (though I get the feeling if he's moved, that's it.  I have nothing to base this on, but I think the Devils probably want to start moving on from some of the vets who've been around for a lot of losing...even ones like Palms, who definitely performed for much of his time here).  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, hard to think you're going to do much better for Palms at the moment.  I'd take this chance.  And like I've said, there's still a chance you could just bring Palms back anyway (though I get the feeling if he's moved, that's it.  I have nothing to base this on, but I think the Devils probably want to start moving on from some of the vets who've been around for a lot of losing...even ones like Palms, who definitely performed for much of his time here).  

I don't see why they would bring him back at this point unless it's at a deep discount and for short term. Maybe a 1 year, $2.75-3m deal to see if he has anything left? 

Obviously if they want to bring him back, that's a different story. Give him an extension and see if he has anything left next season. But don't let his deal expire, and especially not if you can get a guy like DeBrusk. 

Or a first round pick, which I personally don't see, but I also don't know how deep the upcoming draft is and/or how low of a 1st round pick it would be, since its a contender you have to assume its more end of round. If there's 5-10 guys that are desirable, and say the Isles have the 26th or 27th pick, maybe they would trade it, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't see why they would bring him back at this point unless it's at a deep discount and for short term. Maybe a 1 year, $2.75-3m deal to see if he has anything left? 

Obviously if they want to bring him back, that's a different story. Give him an extension and see if he has anything left next season. But don't let his deal expire, and especially not if you can get a guy like DeBrusk. 

Or a first round pick, which I personally don't see, but I also don't know how deep the upcoming draft is and/or how low of a 1st round pick it would be, since its a contender you have to assume its more end of round. If there's 5-10 guys that are desirable, and say the Isles have the 26th or 27th pick, maybe they would trade it, I don't know. 

Re:  the bolded...unless something changes drastically, that's probably what he's looking at, but for a little more money...I'd say around $4 million (still less than he's making now).  It's a "Bet On Myself" contract for sure...and not an outlandish scenario.  It's not like the Devils have this glut of young stud RWs just waiting for a shot.

But I fully agree, this is not the Lou-era Devils, where you often felt there was a chance that they could do something, so you'd hang on to some key players even if you knew they were going to walk.  Devils have to get what they can for some of these potentially departing assets.  I wouldn't extend him outright...if the Devils really want to keep him, they can sell him on getting to join a legit contender, getting something for him, and then they'll just re-sign him as a UFA.

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded...unless something changes drastically, that's probably what he's looking at, but for a little more money...I'd say around $4 million (still less than he's making now).  It's a "Bet On Myself" contract for sure...and not an outlandish scenario.  It's not like the Devils have this glut of young stud RWs just waiting for a shot.

But I fully agree, this is not the Lou-era Devils, where you often felt there was a chance that they could do something, so you'd hang on to some key players even if you knew they were going to walk.  Devils have to get what they can for some of these potentially departing assets.  I wouldn't extend him outright...if the Devils really want to keep him, they can sell him on getting to join a legit contender, getting something for him, and then they'll just re-sign him as a UFA.

Honestly, that’s exactly what I would do. I would take the free asset, and then re-sign him next year if he wants to come back. I will take the chance that he decides to sign elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Oates is absolutely right. You need some ‘fvck you’ on your team. 

47 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The second Pavel Zacha started finding his game, you had people on the forum loudly opining that it's time to trade him and cash in on his apparently-soon-to-be-dwindling value. 

This is when you know you’ve sucked for too long; when you begin suggesting the trades of young, productive players who are cheap for futures. 

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is when you know you’ve sucked for too long; when you begin suggesting the trades of young, productive players who are cheap for futures. 

Team who do business that way are usually damned near forever in the "Have Not" category (unless they finally get lucky enough to hit on a bunch of picks who all come up in the same 2-3 year period...then it's "How long can they keep them together?").  Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates come to mind.

I get the occasional trade of, say, a guy 28 or so, who still looks like he has prime years left, but there's pieces from within to approximate his production, at a much lower cost (freeing up money to pay others if need be).  But yeah, when you're constantly giving up 25-and-youngers in quality-for-quantity trades (the Rockies did this constantly), that's a great way to keep spinning your wheels.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If Toronto is jonesing for Miles Wood, it doesn't hurt to find out what they would give up. He's not untradable, but I agree with the sentiment that the deal has to be great. We don't even know if the Leafs want him, some reporter/commentator suggested it, right?

Zacha isn't untradable either, in my opinion. It's gotta be worth it, though.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Team who do business that way are usually damned near forever in the "Have Not" category (unless they finally get lucky enough to hit on a bunch of picks who all come up in the same 2-3 year period...then it's "How long can they keep them together?").  Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates come to mind.

I get the occasional trade of, say, a guy 28 or so, who still looks like he has prime years left, but there's pieces from within to approximate his production, at a much lower cost (freeing up money to pay others if need be).  But yeah, when you're constantly giving up 25-and-youngers in quality-for-quantity trades (the Rockies did this constantly), that's a great way to keep spinning your wheels.

Eventually, the future needs to arrive.

4 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

If Toronto is jonesing for Miles Wood, it doesn't hurt to find out what they would give up. He's not untradable, but I agree with the sentiment that the deal has to be great. We don't even know if the Leafs want him, some reporter/commentator suggested it, right?

Zacha isn't untradable either, in my opinion. It's gotta be worth it, though.

Trading either of those guys makes no sense. We need to trade people who 1) contenders want for their playoff run, 2) who are going to be UFA’s. Both of those guys have another year on their deal, get paid pretty much peanuts, and will be RFA’s in 2022. Both have looked good in a sh!t season and are still young. 

Why the hell would you trade them? 

The only way is if a team wants to give you more than they are worth because they need to clear cap room. So, Marner or Matthews or Nylander or Tavares for Wood, maybe you have to listen. But to trade either Zacha or Wood for picks, unless you are offering me an unprotected lottery pick, is stupid. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Trading either of those guys makes no sense. We need to trade people who 1) contenders want for their playoff run, 2) who are going to be UFA’s. Both of those guys have another year on their deal, get paid pretty much peanuts, and will be RFA’s in 2022. Both have looked good in a sh!t season and are still young. 

Why the hell would you trade them? 

The only way is if a team wants to give you more than they are worth because they need to clear cap room. So, Marner or Matthews or Nylander or Tavares for Wood, maybe you have to listen. But to trade either Zacha or Wood for picks, unless you are offering me an unprotected lottery pick, is stupid. 

Agreed. You don't trade these players for picks. That would be dumb. A team's control over these young players is extremely valuable. So, yes, I'm looking for a team to overpay. The Leafs strike me as an organization that might do it. But they might not. Which is fine. I like Miles Wood.

16 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Agreed. You don't trade these players for picks. That would be dumb. A team's control over these young players is extremely valuable. So, yes, I'm looking for a team to overpay. The Leafs strike me as an organization that might do it. But they might not. Which is fine. I like Miles Wood.

It doesn’t seem like the cap really ever stops anyone, they always seem to work out a way to keep the important pieces. I don’t especially care how bad Toronto wants Miles Wood, I’m not trading a guy his age, who has proven his ability to play in the league and continues to improve, unless it’s impossible to say no to what they offer. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

taylor hall barely fetched a first coming off a Hart winning season. Why would anyone trade more for a declining 30-year old in a pandemic shortened season? 

If Kyle Palmieri gets us better than a 3rd I’ll celebrate like a psychopath. 

Yeah, sounds crazy, but I actually think there might be 3 or more teams interested in a proven streaky NHL sniper, who can pot a cluster of goals in the playoffs.. Even as a PO rental..

23 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m so sick of the crappy luck this team has. Blackwood will now go into the witness protection protection program, just like Nico.

Hi MadDog2020.

I am not bitching or complaining about what I am asking. Isn't this post in the wrong place, meaning thread? Now that I asked that, I haven't heard anything about why Blackwood left before the start or what his status is. Do you know anything about him and this issue? Would you share with me. Thanks. I googled him and got nothing. I didn't read other threads yet, that maybe my bad.