2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

30 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I don't see us trading palms. picks for us is pointless. we need a good prospect or nhl player. if we trade him it better be for a defenseman 

The point would be to get whatever we can get for him before sending him off to free agency. Unless, of course, an extension can be agreed upon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I don't see us trading palms. picks for us is pointless. we need a good prospect or nhl player. if we trade him it better be for a defenseman 

The one scenario that has no business happening is Palms being kept and then allowed to leave for no return.  Given that this team isn’t making the playoffs, that would make no sense.  Get what you can.  I think there’s a fair chance he winds up back here anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Or you can draft players. If the choice is between drafting players and absolutely nothing, you take the picks. 

well you won't find a bigger supporter of managing your assets, maximizing your chances, keep your leverage and not losing assets for nothing than me here lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

I can totally see Zajac either returning as a Devil or just hanging them up. 

He's still our best FO guy. Which is a shame in itself. Nico is good on draws, Jack's getting better, McLeod improving. I wish Fitz could find a couple big wingers for Jack. (that can keep up)

59 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

He's still our best FO guy. Which is a shame in itself. Nico is good on draws, Jack's getting better, McLeod improving. I wish Fitz could find a couple big wingers for Jack. (that can keep up)

Jack is 36% on face offs, up from 33%. It’s good that he’s getting better, but he’s still awful at face offs. 

19 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I'd be very surprised if Zajac retires.  He's only 35, and he has a great attitude - to me it wouldn't be a shock if we decided not to offer him a new contract, and he hits the open market looking for a new team to join to try and take a shot at a Cup.  I think there will be a few teams interested in giving him a one year deal and slot him on their 3rd or 4th line, so he won't be asked to do much.  He can still kill penalties and he'd be a good veteran presence in many locker rooms.  If he gets a 1 year deal on another team and he doesn't win a Cup that year, I could see him doing the exact same thing with another team the next year.  He's only 35, so if his time is indeed up in NJ, why not take a couple random cracks at it elsewhere, before you hang them up?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'd be very surprised if Zajac retires.  He's only 35, and he has a great attitude - to me it wouldn't be a shock if we decided not to offer him a new contract, and he hits the open market looking for a new team to join to try and take a shot at a Cup.  I think there will be a few teams interested in giving him a one year deal and slot him on their 3rd or 4th line, so he won't be asked to do much.  He can still kill penalties and he'd be a good veteran presence in many locker rooms.  If he gets a 1 year deal on another team and he doesn't win a Cup that year, I could see him doing the exact same thing with another team the next year.  He's only 35, so if his time is indeed up in NJ, why not take a couple random cracks at it elsewhere, before you hang them up?  

The only complicating factor is he was supposedly asked last year if he would waive his NMC for a trade and he said no. He’s 35, on the tail end, and maybe he doesn’t want to be that far from his family. As a father I can totally understand why he would feel that way. 

Of course, he wasn’t a free agent last year and he wasn’t forced to do anything. His choice was to stay and play in NJ. This year, if we don’t offer the contract, his choices are retire or play elsewhere. That may yield different results in his decision making, especially if Lou offers a deal in Long Island, where he wouldn’t be that far from family. 

With all of the lack of veteran leadership we have going on, he’s the guy I would want back. He’s got 14 points and our team leader has 19. He wins face offs, is our best defensive center, etc. I would give him a 1 year deal, and 2 if I had to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If we could get him at a price and term that reflects being a 30 winger that we’re looking for to ride shotgun for one of our franchise centers instead of paying him as an MVP, I would take him back.   We desperately need top 6 wingers.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

If we could get him at a price and term that reflects being a 30 winger that we’re looking for to ride shotgun for one of our franchise centers instead of paying him as an MVP, I would take him back.   We desperately need top 6 wingers.  

He didn’t want to be here the first time, he’s not coming back. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He didn’t want to be here the first time, he’s not coming back. 

Oh, I don’t think it will happen, just saying that he could fill a huge hole 

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly. I’m over the Lou-like reunions. It’s over.

I’m over those as well but bringing a 30 year old back after 1.5 years is a little different than bringing back the skeleton of Sykora or Rolston back a decade later and in their late 30s 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The only complicating factor is he was supposedly asked last year if he would waive his NMC for a trade and he said no. He’s 35, on the tail end, and maybe he doesn’t want to be that far from his family. As a father I can totally understand why he would feel that way. 

Of course, he wasn’t a free agent last year and he wasn’t forced to do anything. His choice was to stay and play in NJ. This year, if we don’t offer the contract, his choices are retire or play elsewhere. That may yield different results in his decision making, especially if Lou offers a deal in Long Island, where he wouldn’t be that far from family. 

With all of the lack of veteran leadership we have going on, he’s the guy I would want back. He’s got 14 points and our team leader has 19. He wins face offs, is our best defensive center, etc. I would give him a 1 year deal, and 2 if I had to. 

Yeah, I can absolutely see him back in a Devils uniform, but I could also see him somewhere else, if  the alternative was retirement or somewhere else.   I don't see him hanging them up at 35 and having play nowhere else in his career, still lacking a Cup.

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I can absolutely see him back in a Devils uniform, but I could also see him somewhere else, if  the alternative was retirement or somewhere else.   I don't see him hanging them up at 35 and having play nowhere else in his career, still lacking a Cup.

Agreed, I think he’s playing well enough that I don’t believe he is going to retire. Like I said, big difference between accepting a trade with more than a year left in his deal and a trade while an impending UFA. 

• Like 2

Move Palmieri regardless of the return. If only to evaluate what we have with some of our young forwards. I don’t think he’s currently making an impact we can’t live without. The forward prospects are kicking the door in right now. 

Defense I’m not so sure. Prospects appear much farther off than offense. Sure, we could trade Vatanen and replace him with Carrick. However, moving Kulikov would be difficult to replace. He’s 3rd on the team on time on ice, plays the left side, and is an important PKer. I think that’s going to prove more difficult to fill than many are thinking. I’d rather re-sign him short term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Move Palmieri regardless of the return. If only to evaluate what we have with some of our young forwards. I don’t think he’s currently making an impact we can’t live without. The forward prospects are kicking the door in right now. 

Defense I’m not so sure. Prospects appear much farther off than offense. Sure, we could trade Vatanen and replace him with Carrick. However, moving Kulikov would be difficult to replace. He’s 3rd on the team on time on ice, plays the left side, and is an important PKer. I think that’s going to prove more difficult to fill than many are thinking. I’d rather re-sign him short term. 

I’d give Kulikov 3 years, $2.5-$3m per. 

But if he hasn’t signed and will not be signed, he’s too valuable to risk losing for free. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Move Palmieri regardless of the return. If only to evaluate what we have with some of our young forwards. 

Is having Palmieri on the team really preventing us from evaluating anyone?  It's just one roster spot, and I really don't think we're busting at the seams with offensive talent to the point where someone like Palms would be looked at as just taking up space.

I don’t think he’s currently making an impact we can’t live without. The forward prospects are kicking the door in right now. 

Are they?  Similar to what I mentioned above, I just don't see a huge influx of offensive talent on this team at the moment, be it guys on the big squad or guys in the minors.  We've scored 1 goal in the last two games, and guys like Bastian, McLeod, and Boqvist look like they're proving themselves to be nothing more than fringe NHLers.  Some people might even throw Gusev into that group.  

I'm not exactly against trading Palms, but I don't think the reason should be simply because he's viewed as occupying a spot from some untapped offensive juggernaut in Binghampton that isn't getting his chance and is being forced to wait in the wings because of him. 

• Like 1