2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

15 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hope Fitz isn't one of those GMs that hand out NTCs/NMCs like candy moving forward.

Insane to me that an average NHLer like Palmieri has any sort of NTC protection.  But maybe I'm just out of touch and this is standard league-wide now.

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hope Fitz isn't one of those GMs that hand out NTCs/NMCs like candy moving forward.

Insane to me that an average NHLer like Palmieri has any sort of NTC protection.  But maybe I'm just out of touch and this is standard league-wide now.

Palmieri isn’t just an average NHLer though. He was one of the better RW in the league his entire time in NJ. 25-30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Palmieri isn’t just an average NHLer though. He was one of the better RW in the league his entire time in NJ. 25-30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. 

Add to that, you do have to show a certain loyalty to guys that decide to stay while your team is a dumpster fire. I would rather give a guy an 8 team no-trade list than overpay him or extend him for term beyond his usefulness. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He was 6th overall in the NHL in goals scored for right wings since becoming a Devil.  Was some of that due to his getting a lot of first line minutes, due to no one being ahead of him?  Sure.  But the guy was a solid player here for the past five years, and may have some more good years ahead of him (we'll find out if this year was an aberration due to Covid and other factors, or if he's truly at the beginning of a decline).  He definitely got more hatred from some circles than he really deserved.

In some ways, it's kind of sad that his time here may be over (not ruling out a re-signing in the offseason), because I think he really wants to stay, and likes representing the organization and having New Jersey as his home base.  But from a business standpoint, I understand completely where the Devils are coming from.  They are absolutely in the position where they could pay Palms for 4+ years at well over $5 million...but they clearly recognize that because they can doesn't mean that they SHOULD.  If Palms came back on a two-year deal and turned in two solid years, he'd probably get another two-year deal.  There's room for middle ground, and if Palms' camp isn't interested in going there, Fitz is 100% doing the right thing is getting what he can.  I think Fitz handled this whole scenario perfectly.    

All of the above being said, I need to see some legit "move things forward" moves.  Enough of getting Johnsson types because they're low risk and don't cost much...I've talked about it before, but enough with "if" moves.  Devils are going to be fvcking drowning in cap space...for fvck's sake, use some of it already!  Get out there and at least TRY to reel in a big fish than can help...a vet with some good years left who can help these kids!  I'm not one of those fans that expects my team to be overly active when it comes to bigger-name players, but it really feels like it's time to spend some cash on some players who can help.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Fair, I was too harsh in my original assessment there.  

I admittedly just have a really sour taste in my mouth from watching him for most of this season.  When the scoring dries up, he's really a zero out there it seems.

22 hours ago, MB3 said:

I honestly have no clue what the holy hell Kyle Palmieri you guys watch that you want to pay him 5+m for 3+ seasons. 

Where is he going to play? Kyle Palmieri cannot be on a 3rd or 4th line. He’s slow, he turns the puck over and he backchecks like a peewee. Do any of you think those traits improve with age? In any universe? 

Let’s say he gets signed for 3 years. There are 4 wing positions in the top two lines up for grabs. Sharangovich, Bratt and Holtz will/should occupy at least three of them during Palmieri’s tenure. Pavel Zacha should be on Nico’s wing but that’s fine if you want to leave him as 3C. 

Up the pipeline we have Foote, who is a shoot-first player with a dime of a snipe. Then you have Dawson Mercer who can play sorta anywhere, but looks to be a top-6 forward with increasingly-rising stock after the draft. Tyce Thompson, Graeme Clarke? Hell, even Kuokkonen looks more deserving right now than Palmieri.

So where, in the name of god, do you stick Palmieri? Do you let an aging, shoot-first streaky and lazy veteran hockey player steal top-6 minutes from the kids? Top-line PP minutes? 

Signing Kyle Palmieri to anything longer than 2 years is a major step backwards for this franchise, and it’ll be a sad day if it happens.

Do you need help?

Are you obsessed about Palms? He is a hockey player on a hockey team. Chill

Fans don't make these decisions. 

Chill, if you need help let me know or call 911.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:28 PM, MB3 said:

AM I TAKING FVCKING CRAZY PILLS

ARE YOU SUGGESTING WE SIGN KYLE PALMIERI FOR SIX MORE SEASONS?!?

SOMEONE GET ME A PAPER BAG

No, I meant 6 mil for 3 or 4 yrs.

A lot of the Devils fans have Palms going to Boston. 

Boston has some problems. Assuming Rask is OK, they need defensemen for the left side before they need a "right wing." 

Rask is not OK, he is hurt and not recovering as fast as all would like. The Bruins aren't going to find a quality goaltender through trade at this time to replace him. So the urgency, IMO, is to get a defensemen to play the left side. Did you watch Halak on Saturday? Let in 3 softies in the 7-5 Bruins victory over the Penguins

So do the Bruins have enough to get both a defenseman and a right wing? I don't know, but if not, and they go for the defensemen, then where does Palms wind up?

Palms could stay with the Devils. 

20 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

A lot of the Devils fans have Palms going to Boston. 

Boston has some problems. Assuming Rask is OK, they need defensemen for the left side before they need a "right wing." 

Rask is not OK, he is hurt and not recovering as fast as all would like. The Bruins aren't going to find a quality goaltender through trade at this time to replace him. So the urgency, IMO, is to get a defensemen to play the left side. Did you watch Halak on Saturday? Let in 3 softies in the 7-5 Bruins victory over the Penguins

So do the Bruins have enough to get both a defenseman and a right wing? I don't know, but if not, and they go for the defensemen, then where does Palms wind up?

Palms could stay with the Devils. 

re:  the bolded, never say never, but I'd be surprised.  One can make the argument that if the return is nothing great (say, a 3rd rounder), then might as well hang onto him...but I say just get what you can.  The only way I could see him staying is if his agent finally realizes that it's 2021 and not 2019 and before, and comes back willing to take reasonable term (leading to a contract extension). 

Once again, the Devils won't be fighting for a playoff berth, and we've seen how two or more upper-round picks can get you an NHLer.  And if I were to put a percentage to it, I'd say it's 75% that Palms is back here on two or three-year deal, whether he's traded or not.  So if some other team wants to "borrow" him for a while, fine.  Even if Palms ultimately signs elsewhere, OK...but like I said in a previous post, Devils are going to have an absurd amount of cash to spend.  Spend some of it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t see him coming back. The two sides must be pretty far apart if they couldn’t get something done after all this time. 

Watch him take a discount to play for his Rangers...

Someone else has to be willing to make him the offer he's looking for.  I get the feeling it's not going to happen...so I don't blame Fitz for telling him to go test the market.

I've always thought the Rangers were a possibility...wouldn't surprise me that much.  

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So this is gonna be one of those prolonged deals where Palms sits out for a whole week waiting to be moved? Of course it is. Why the hell would there be a deal imminent? That would make too much sense.

Better than him getting hurt.  Really curious to see what he brings back.  I'm guessing 2nd rounder + mild prospect.  

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So this is gonna be one of those prolonged deals where Palms sits out for a whole week waiting to be moved? Of course it is. Why the hell would there be a deal imminent? That would make too much sense.

Given how compressed the season is, it might be appealing to an opposing GM that he got a week off before the home stretch.  It’s not like he was on some sort of sizzling hot streak that we’re going to mess with by sitting him.   

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think this is realistic but hopefully we can get a late 1st from Boston 

I only see a late first if there's not that much available out there.  But yeah, I'd happily take that.